Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Interpretation

How confident are you that your interpretation of the Bible(of any and all parts) is correct?

• Very Confident

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat Confident

• Not Confident

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Not a very clear question... I do not have a personal interpretation of the bible, and anyone that does it in trouble, I trust the translatoins are good that I read and read them for what they say, not interpret them.

I also give creedence the men of Old that God choice as teachers, such as Austin, Calvin, Luter and so on.

The problem is when people think they can interpret the bible, and then start reading between the lines, and looking for stuff that is not there.

Do not interpret it, just read it.

There's no such thing as reading it without interpreting; it's a red herring. If your scenario were true, then countless believers down the centuries would be collecting Paul's cloak from Troas and taking it to him on the basis of 2 Tim 4:13.

Jules

Interpretation belongs to God, not man. The Scriptures interpret themselves. Following human beings interpretations is just going to cause you to stray from the truth, and you won't even know that you have, strayed from the truth.

Interpretation belongs to God, not man. The Scriptures interpret themselves. Following human beings interpretations is just going to cause you to stray from the truth, and you won't even know that you have, strayed from the truth.
This thread is 19 years old. Having said that, wigginsmum is correct. To read something is to interpret it; that is just the nature of it. Scripture does interpret scripture, but every interpretation will have human elements in it, to varying degrees. It simply cannot be otherwise, since the Bible was written for humans, by humans, based on human experience, using human language, in ancient cultures.

So, it stands to reason that different experiences, changes in language, and differences in culture are going to give each person a slightly different perspective and interpretation. It’s one reason why there are so many differences of opinion on these forums, not to mention between theologians throughout church history.

This thread is 19 years old. Having said that, wigginsmum is correct. To read something is to interpret it; that is just the nature of it. Scripture does interpret scripture, but every interpretation will have human elements in it, to varying degrees. It simply cannot be otherwise, since the Bible was written for humans, by humans, based on human experience, using human language, in ancient cultures.

So, it stands to reason that different experiences, changes in language, and differences in culture are going to give each person a slightly different perspective and interpretation. It’s one reason why there are so many differences of opinion on these forums, not to mention between theologians throughout church history.
Well since I believe that interpretation of scripture belongs to God, because the scriptures say interpretation belongs to God, I'm going to believe the scriptures interpret themselves. It's true that the True God YHWH uses humans, but true interpretation of scripture doesn't find its source in the expressed opinions or interpretations of humans but true interpretation of the scripture, originate with God. This is why Peter was inspired by God to write at 2 Peter 1:20,21, which says, "For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit." But today I can see for myself even if the majority disagree, that too many human beings are interpreting the scriptures by astute deductions.
I agree that the meaning of some scriptures are obvious, and no interpretation is needed. Like when a prophet of God said that the Judeans would go into captivity to the king of Babylon, we know that scripture saying that the Judeans were going into captivity is clear, no interpration needed. But when the prophet stated that prophesy it wasn't always known at what time this would happen. However it's also true when a prophecy Is stated in scripture the time it would happen would also be clear in the scriptures, so interpretation needed.
There's a lot of scriptures that I believe people take out of context of the scriptures, to make it appear that scripture proves something he/she personally believes to be in the scriptures, but I also understand people most likely feel the same about me. I honestly haven't been convinced that I have, but I know they would believe the same thing.

Well since I believe that interpretation of scripture belongs to God, because the scriptures say interpretation belongs to God, I'm going to believe the scriptures interpret themselves. It's true that the True God YHWH uses humans, but true interpretation of scripture doesn't find its source in the expressed opinions or interpretations of humans but true interpretation of the scripture, originate with God. This is why Peter was inspired by God to write at 2 Peter 1:20,21, which says, "For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit."
Everything we read and see first goes through our minds, which makes it impossible for us to not interpret the Bible. Everything gets filtered through all of our individual and cultural experiences—what we’ve been taught, the environments we grew up in, level of education, type of education, etc. Not to mention that even the process of getting, for example, an English translation requires the translators to make numerous judgement calls, and even then, there are some passages which they don’t know how to properly interpret. So, before it even gets to the layman, it’s already been sifted through the minds of others.

But today I can see for myself even if the majority disagree, that too many human beings are interpreting the scriptures by astute deductions.
We should be using deduction. God is logic and as beings made in his image, we also have the ability to reason. It is how we make sense of things and the basis of language. It is all a part of understanding and interpreting the Bible.

I agree that the meaning of some scriptures are obvious, and no interpretation is needed. Like when a prophet of God said that the Judeans would go into captivity to the king of Babylon, we know that scripture saying that the Judeans were going into captivity is clear, no interpration needed. But when the prophet stated that prophesy it wasn't always known at what time this would happen. However it's also true when a prophecy Is stated in scripture the time it would happen would also be clear in the scriptures, so interpretation needed.
Sure, some things are very clear, some things not so clear, and some things are very difficult. That there is one true God who created all that came into being, and that Jesus died for our sins and was physically raised from the dead are without question, for example.

We should follow the example of Paul:

Act 17:2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, (ESV)

There's a lot of scriptures that I believe people take out of context of the scriptures, to make it appear that scripture proves something he/she personally believes to be in the scriptures, but I also understand people most likely feel the same about me. I honestly haven't been convinced that I have, but I know they would believe the same thing.
Everyone thinks they are taking everything in context but clearly everyone is not. One of the hardest things for people to do is change their beliefs, so they will continue to see only those things they already believe unless or until God intervenes.

Back