Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Is a Christian's anger ever justified?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Here are a few scriptures that speak about righteous anger:
James 1:19 kjv
19. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
20. For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Man’s anger:
You broke my chainsaw
You stepped on my flowers
You tracked dirt into the house
You stole my pen

VS

Romans 1:18 kjv
18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

It finally lists things God is angry about.

The anger we share with God is still
Under his direction.

eddif

I am justified by my faith in Christ...whether I blow it or not...which is a really good thing for me...because I'm still so unlike Him!
I thank Him that I'm not like I used to be...and thankful that He won't leave me like I am!
I want to be like You in all that I say
I want to be like You in everything I do
I want to be like You so a lost world will say
"Lord Jesus, I want to be like You!" tc

Depends how the word is used.
The use in Colossians 3:8 is not the same in places like Ephesians 4:26. One instance is more active, the other is just sort of what you feel, as in normal human operation. Getting angry isn't in itself at all sinful just like it isn't sinful to feel aroused or sad or scared.

It seems in modern times there are voices wanting to throw this type of stuff into the "choice" argument, as in somehow whenever you get mad you are picking to be mad and it's your own fault. That is a voice of a manipulator or an ignoramus, whether they know it or not. Any entry level psych student can tell you these feelings are normal and have little to do with you making a conscious decision on "being angry because you want to".

Getting angry isn't in itself at all sinful
Our anger is not so sinful if we stop it in the day it occurs. If that anger is allowed to become a root of bitterness it’s effect grows.

That statement is based on your comments about the levels of anger. Could not have made them without your comment.

eddif

Depends how the word is used.
The use in Colossians 3:8 is not the same in places like Ephesians 4:26. One instance is more active, the other is just sort of what you feel, as in normal human operation. Getting angry isn't in itself at all sinful just like it isn't sinful to feel aroused or sad or scared.

It seems in modern times there are voices wanting to throw this type of stuff into the "choice" argument, as in somehow whenever you get mad you are picking to be mad and it's your own fault. That is a voice of a manipulator or an ignoramus, whether they know it or not. Any entry level psych student can tell you these feelings are normal and have little to do with you making a conscious decision on "being angry because you want to".
Many justify things in their own intellect by emotions they let control them. Is anger always justified? No, especially when it is not justified by God in how He would want us to handle our anger. Jesus was angry with the money changers as they were desecrating the Temple of God. If they were selling their goods somewhere else then He would not have had a problem with that. Our anger, as a child of God, needs to be the same as we look for God to show us how to deal with that which we are angry about. Do we always do that? No, as it is easy to get in the flesh when we become angry

Proverbs 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

Our anger is not so sinful if we stop it in the day it occurs. If that anger is allowed to become a root of bitterness it’s effect grows.

That statement is based on your comments about the levels of anger. Could not have made them without your comment.

eddif
Levels? Sorry it's just because it's text that I have to ask. Do you mean "take it to another level"?

Many justify things in their own intellect by emotions they let control them. Is anger always justified?
You speak of orgēn and not orgizesthe. I'm saying there is a difference. They cannot be blended as to where getting orgizesthe is sin. It's not.

Looks like you are talking about self control, but that really isn't restricted to anger in any capacity.

You speak of orgēn and not orgizesthe. I'm saying there is a difference. They cannot be blended as to where getting orgizesthe is sin. It's not.

Looks like you are talking about self control, but that really isn't restricted to anger in any capacity.
I have no idea what orgen or orgizesthe means. Being angry itself is not a sin until it is acted upon with a heart of retaliation to justify our own self. Retaliation is only as good as where the source for this comes from. God, or self.

I have no idea what orgen or orgizesthe means.
They are the anglicized versions of the Greek words.
Being angry itself is not a sin until it is acted upon with a heart of retaliation to justify our own self.
That has it's limits. I can guarantee you that anyone operating as avenger of blood(family head or appointee) out there is carrying a personal component to the justice they are about to mete out, and they aren't sinning when they do it.

They are the anglicized versions of the Greek words.

That has it's limits. I can guarantee you that anyone operating as avenger of blood(family head or appointee) out there is carrying a personal component to the justice they are about to mete out, and they aren't sinning when they do it.
only God can be the judge of our anger whether it is justified or not. I only have myself to judge.

only God can be the judge of our anger whether it is justified or not. I only have myself to judge.
That was my point. If we have anger that is just felt, orgizesthe, there won't be judgement on it.

It's the orgen and parorgismō that are on the table to watch out for.
Anger of doing and anger of stewing.

The English bibles use one word. The Greek texts used three. It's more than a bit of an injustice, especially when dealing with a language that is being made to "evolve" on purpose.

Blessings in Christ in advance to any who respond. This might get some interesting responses.

There are a number of scriptures which state that we are to put aside all anger. A few of them are as follows:

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth... as the elect of God, holy and beloved, [instead] put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, long-suffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. (Colossians 3:8, 12-13)

19 my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. (James 1:19)

There are others I could include here as well, but my question is this: Is there any scriptural support for believing that there might nevertheless be instances when a Christian's anger is justified before God?

I will give my response after others have had a chance first.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

Hi. Good topic

I think there is such a thing as righteous indignation... If I hear about a church being defaced that makes me angry... We read about Jesus getting angry when he saw his Father's home being used as a market...

So we all feel anger every now and then and it's debatable whether or not that feeling is a sin...
But one thing is for sure, acting out of anger almost always results in sin. Revelation says that those who slay will be slayed. I believe that is regardless if it comes from righteous indignation.

Anger and acting from it was a bad habit of mine and can still be... But when I was a prodigal it was the norm and it was spiritually damaging. Thanks to God I'm much better now though my belly still rages with fire sometimes at the things I see in this world

Another part of anger is when we hold onto it for a long time. Then it's called resentment. That's a sin and damaging to our mind, soul and spirit

Blessings in Christ in advance to any who respond. This might get some interesting responses.

There are a number of scriptures which state that we are to put aside all anger. A few of them are as follows:

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth... as the elect of God, holy and beloved, [instead] put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, long-suffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. (Colossians 3:8, 12-13)

19 my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. (James 1:19)

There are others I could include here as well, but my question is this: Is there any scriptural support for believing that there might nevertheless be instances when a Christian's anger is justified before God?

I will give my response after others have had a chance first.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

On another note, how is the USA football team looking? Are they on track to make the world cup?

Back