Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Calvinism good theology? Is it Biblical?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
every ISM is not biblical. They are divisions in the body of Christ, that while God may use them as with all things, does not make it entirely correct. With most divisions in the body of Christ they have part truth part error. Calvinism is the same way. It has some truth that is scriptural, I would argue more truth in certian areas, more than armenianism but it still incorrect in other areas. The main problem with calvinism doctrinally is OSAS. Because it does not go far enough in understanding the scriptures so it causes many to stumble. This happens because of lack of belief in the power of God in the church these days and lack of understanding of Gods soverign purpose in creation which they partly do not yet understand. There is also a hateful spirit that is very overly critical and judgemental and prideful that travels and is seen in many calvinists. I tend to see it so far as a spirit of murder of the brethern that is past to people who accept calvin without critism because he was part of killing a person in his life because he disagreed with his doctrine which is not scriptural for the church to do, now many calvinists kill their brethern who are not calvinist by hate and back biting. i am not accusing any indiviudual calvinist in this board as it may not apply to to them,- or it may this is just what is overall seen and the fruit they in large part are known for.

Adullam said:
All isms are like truisms. These fall far short of the truth.

MY COMMENTS: What about "deism"---"belief in God as existing independently of the physical universe"?

Definition from "The Secretary's Desk Book" Dictionary, 1938 ed.

Does that fall far short of the truth?

Bick said:
Dave Slayer said:
Is Calvinism good theology? Is it Biblical?

MY COMMENTS: Personally, i believe some of it is Biblical, and some of it isn't.

Which parts do you not believe to be Biblical?

Bick said:
Adullam said:
All isms are like truisms. These fall far short of the truth.

MY COMMENTS: What about "deism"---"belief in God as existing independently of the physical universe"?

Definition from "The Secretary's Desk Book" Dictionary, 1938 ed.

Does that fall far short of the truth?

Yes. Hindus are Deists too. ;)

It is true that we cannot choose God until He has first chosen us and caused us to come unto Him. It is him who makes the change in us who puts His Spirit within us.

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

GodspromisesRyes said:
It is true that we cannot choose God until He has first chosen us and caused us to come unto Him. It is him who makes the change in us who puts His Spirit within us.

Amen. And once he has opened our eyes so we can see, we can never go back to darkness again. :amen

Heidi said:
GodspromisesRyes said:

Amen. And once he has opened our eyes so we can see, we can never go back to darkness again. :amen

That the scriptures disagree with , the word testifies it is very possible for people to have been given eyes to see and who even have esacped the pollutions of the world to go back to darkness and fall away, this is where calvimism becomes an ism and goes off the scriptural track.

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

2Pe 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
Hbr 6:4 For [it is] impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Hbr 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come

Hbr 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put [him] to an open shame.

Hbr 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if [any man] draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

It is very possible to have the light, to have the Holy Ghost and turn back. Osas is a false gospel that leads many to destruction causing them to be overtaken by the flesh.

Now it is true that the ELECT will NOT turn back because they were ordained before the foundation of the world to do the good works of christ, to bare fruit, and to be conformed into his image, so they will do as they were formed to do and will not turn back BUT election from our point of view is a matter of faith, we do not know who is called and who is chosen we walk by faith that we are elect and threfore are to walk to make our election sure. If we live in sin we will die in sin and be lost and that will PROVE that we are not elect. If we are conformed into the image of CHrist and hold fast unto the eld it will prove we are elect. Eternal life and salvation is something we have by FAITH but do not see until we have endured till the end and born fruit.

God is not limited to the evangelical framework that people like to limit Him to. God is involved in the micro as well as the macro world. God is not a Christian ideology. He is alive and more real than reality itself. Therefore one may experience many partial or limited experiences of God in a lifetime...hence the religions of the world.

Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on God. Christianity is about relationship with Jesus Christ. Rather Christ should have a monopoly on us. Are we using our understanding of God to promote our own agenda? Or, are we simply available to do the will of God? It can't be both.

Jesus died for all men according to the will of the Father. We are not to judge those outside the body of disciples. God does. Judge not lest you be also judged. God draws men in different ways. A Christian is not someone with a prejudice towards others. Jesus would say...what's that to you? You follow Me!

Rather than being judges we need to get on with our own calling...that is if we have any real relationship worth being a witness of. Christianity is not the narrowing of the mind, but the narrow Way.

The mind is like a parachute....it only functions when it is open! :yes

GodspromisesRyes said:

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].
I heartily agree with your point, but I do wish to comment on the text you have used. It is important to remember that this material is about Israel - it is not material that can be directly taken to characterize each individual person. Here are the preceding verses:

Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "It is (AF)not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for My holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you went. 23"I will (AG)vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst Then the (AH)nations will know that I am the LORD," declares the Lord GOD, "when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight. 24"For I will (AI)take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands and bring you into your own land.

As I have said, I agree with your conclusion. I just want to comment that proper exegesis leads to this conclusion only to the extent that we properly see ourselves (the members of the church) as the “true†Israelâ€Â

Adullam said:
God is not limited to the evangelical framework that people like to limit Him to. God is involved in the micro as well as the macro world. God is not a Christian ideology. He is alive and more real than reality itself. Therefore one may experience many partial or limited experiences of God in a lifetime...hence the religions of the world.

But the religions of the world deny the Christ of Scripture, therefore if Scripture is true and Christ is who he says he is, then worldy religions are false and those following them are deceived.

Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on God. Christianity is about relationship with Jesus Christ. Rather Christ should have a monopoly on us. Are we using our understanding of God to promote our own agenda? Or, are we simply available to do the will of God? It can't be both.

If our agenda is defending the Christ of the Bible, then it can be both.

Jesus died for all men according to the will of the Father. We are not to judge those outside the body of disciples.

We are called to be separate from the world. In order to do so, we must distinguish between those whose father is the Devil and those whose father is Yahweh.

God does. Judge not lest you be also judged. God draws men in different ways. A Christian is not someone with a prejudice towards others. Jesus would say...what's that to you? You follow Me!

So we are to have no concern for those deceived by false religion? We're to let them enter a Christless eternity in Hell? That's what a follower of Jesus should do? Have you heard of the Great Commission?

Rather than being judges we need to get on with our own calling...that is if we have any real relationship worth being a witness of.

How can we be a witness if we do not judge who is following Jesus and who is not?

Christianity is not the narrowing of the mind, but the narrow Way.

Earlier you said "God is not limited to the evangelical framework that people like to limit Him to." So is the Way broad or narrow?

The mind is like a parachute....it only functions when it is open! :yes

So we are to tolerate idolaters and their idolatry? Is that what you mean by having an open mind and following Jesus? Your assertions are contradictory, my friend.

Jesus said "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life. NO ONE comes to the Father but by me." Mohammed won't get you to Heaven. Buddha won't get you to Heaven. Confucius won't get you to Heaven. Lao Tse won't get you to Heaven. Joseph Smith won't get you to Heaven. Only Christ.

Back