Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is free will biblical?

Eyezup said:
These are a few passages of scripture that demonstrates Gods incredible control and power over all events. God simply ordains the actions of man and uses our so called "free will" to fulfill His ultimate plan.

John 6: 64 "But there are some of you who do not believe " For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father." You can't come to God UNLESS the Father grants it. Doesn't matter how much FREE WILL you have.

Psalm 139: 16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. Our choices are well known of God...we just have a difficult time understanding that He knows them before we do.

Acts 4: 27"For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28 to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose predestined to occur. Bet you Pontius and Herod would agree that they were in full control of their actions...and they were. But, the good thing is that God was fully aware of what was in their hearts and used it to fulfill the ultimate Love Sacrifice, therefore, ultimately fulfilling who's will?...God's will.

Gal 1: 15 But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man,.....The Apostle Paul didn't seem to have a problem with God and understanding that it was His will that caused him to come to a place of saving grace. For Paul's "free will" was to persecute Jews.

You could go on mentioning others like John the Baptist who was called from his mothers womb to make straight the way for the Christ to come. Jeremiah the prophet (called from the womb), Moses whom God chose to free His people, the 12 Apostles chosen by Jesus (even the one who would betray Him), King David chosen by God to be King, and the list goes on.

All of these people mentioned have something in common. God's calling on their lives. If God said that He sent His Son to die for His people, then God will definitely have His people. Our "free wills" have no bearing on this and will always be affected by our sinful nature, even more so if we've not been regenerated, born again, made new or however you understand it.

Dogs will chose meat over and above a salad any day based on its nature. Much like we will chose to fulfill our desire over and above choosing God if it were left up to us. Bible says we're dead. As far as I can recollect, dead people can't make choices. Lazarus only responded to Jesus command to come forth because God brought life back into his lifeless body.

We are much the same. We cannot respond to God's calling less we be made alive, have the heart of stone replaced with the heart of flesh as the Prophet Ezekiel states and our minds renewed. "Free will" to do what?....I ask. To chose God? To make decisions of what to eat, where to go, what to watch on TV? I can agree that free will to make choices of simpler matters is understandable, but, free will is out the window when dealing with whether one chooses salvation or rejects it while yet being spiritually dead.

We all reject salvation....until that appointed day comes for the one whom God has called to enter in to His family as an adopted son of the Most High. Our thoughts then become God centered and our will is now inclined to do the things that please God. We as Christians would say that we do these things because of our love for God and with a great sense to do His will. In Christ I am freed from sins grip, free from condemnation, free from my sin debt and above all loved by God.

Because of being set free from all of these things, I have an overwhelming sense not to do my will, but to do His. Following my will is just going to land me outside of God's will because of the sinful nature that I still possess.

Is free will biblical? As long as you understand that free will only goes as far as circumstances allow you and ultimately God is in control of all of them. Really need to understand how you're defining FREE WILL and in what capacity you refer to it in everyday life in light of scripture.
:amen God bless! Great post.

Back