Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Jesus Still on the Cross?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Sometimes I have to go to the Catholic church. When I do go there, up on the wall is this life size statue of Jesus being crucified. I find this to be rather offensive because Jesus is not still on the cross. And then Catholics frequently show the pope sitting on this elaborate throne. So, Jesus is still being crucified and the pope is sitting on a throne. Does anyone see something wrong with this?

Jesus is not still on the cross, Jesus is in heaven at the right hand of God as, "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16. Having defeated sin, death and the devil God has made Jesus to be both Lord and Christ, Acts 2:36. I would say that Jesus should be shown sitting on a throne, not the pope.

Sometimes I have to go to the Catholic church. When I do go there, up on the wall is this life size statue of Jesus being crucified. I find this to be rather offensive because Jesus is not still on the cross. And then Catholics frequently show the pope sitting on this elaborate throne. So, Jesus is still being crucified and the pope is sitting on a throne. Does anyone see something wrong with this?

Jesus is not still on the cross, Jesus is in heaven at the right hand of God as, "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16. Having defeated sin, death and the devil God has made Jesus to be both Lord and Christ, Acts 2:36. I would say that Jesus should be shown sitting on a throne, not the pope.
Yes. Jesus on the cross really bothers you. I think you brought this up on another thread too.
So, the question is Why?
It's like you want to forget Thd Passion of The Christ.

But you shouldn't forget it RP,,,it's what Jesus did for us.

Let's never forget it.

Yes. Jesus on the cross really bothers you. I think you brought this up on another thread too.
So, the question is Why?

Let's never forget it.
How could anyone forget it?

If anyone wants a statue of Jesus then they should show one of Jesus sitting on a throne. Not nailed to a cross.

Jesus has victoriously overcome sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

This must be one of the silliest attacks on Catholics.
I have on my wall a photograph of one of my daughters with a gown on after her graduation from University. You could ask why show her with a gown on - she doesn't wear one now.

Another photograph shows her in a wedding dress. You could ask - why do you show her with a wedding dress on. She doesn't have one on now (she doesn't even have it - it was hired)

The answer of course is simple. These photographs are reminders of some important moment in her life.

Similarly Jesus on the cross reminds us of one of the most important things in Jesus' life - what he did for us on the cross.

Paul wrote:
" For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles" (1Cor 1:22-24)

"For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." (1Cor 2:2)

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me." (Gal 2:20)

"For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1Cor 1:17-18)

" For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles" (1Cor 1:22-24)

"For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." (1Cor 2:2)

"O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?" (Gal 3:1)

"But far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Gal 6:14)

"And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross." (Phil 2:8)

"and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby bringing the hostility to an end." (Eph 2:16)

"and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross." (Col 1:20)

It was through the cross that we were reconciled to God
It was on the cross that God showed the extent of his love for us.

Jesus crucified was very important for Paul and should be for us also. When we see Jesus on the cross it is a reminder of what he suffered for us.

Last edited:
And then Catholics frequently show the pope sitting on this elaborate throne. So, Jesus is still being crucified and the pope is sitting on a throne. Does anyone see something wrong with this?
Another silly attack on Catholics.
As far as I can recall I've never seen a statue or picture of of the Pope sitting on a throne in a Catholic Church.
It would be foolish because every time there was a new Pope they would have to get a new statue or picture.

How could anyone forget it?

If anyone wants a statue of Jesus then they should show one of Jesus sitting on a throne. Not nailed to a cross.

Jesus has victoriously overcome sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.
We each are allowed to remember Jesus as we wish.
Surely you must have more serious topics to discuss?!
With all the friction between us...
Jesus said the world would know we are His disciples by our love for each other.

Last edited:
We each are allowed to remember Jesus as we wish.
Surely you must have more serious topics to discuss?!
With all the friction between us...
Jesus said the world would know we are His disciples by our love for each other.
I see Jesus as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords". When he returns, he is not returning as the suffering servant or as the crucified Christ. Jesus will recognize those that are his by the Holy Spirit, which is God's mark of ownership.

I have on my wall a photograph of one of my daughters with a gown on after her graduation from University. You could ask why show her with a gown on - she doesn't wear one now.

Another photograph shows her in a wedding dress. You could ask - why do you show her with a wedding dress on. She doesn't have one on now (she doesn't even have it - it was hired)

The answer of course is simple. These photographs are reminders of some important moment in her life.

Similarly Jesus on the cross reminds us of one of the most important things in Jesus' life - what he did for us on the cross.

Paul wrote:

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me." (Gal 2:20)

"For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1Cor 1:17-18)

"O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?" (Gal 3:1)

"But far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Gal 6:14)

"And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross." (Phil 2:8)

"and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby bringing the hostility to an end." (Eph 2:16)

"and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross." (Col 1:20)

Jesus crucified was very important for Paul and should be for us also. When we see Jesus on the cross it is a reminder of what he suffered for us.
Mountains out of molehills me thinks.

Last edited:

Paul wrote:

Your daughter does not wear a gown now, and you have an updated photograph of her not wearing a gown, perhaps many depicting the before and after, probably after graduation day? Wouldn't it be lovely if we remember Jesus in the same way after He rose victorious from the dead to live for evermore the Saviour of the world.

So, the question is Why?

Let's never forget it.
Why would we forget the before and after? I am sure Mungo remembers his daughter's childhood very well. Perhaps even having photographs of her as a baby.

Why would we forget the before and after? I am sure Mungo remembers his daughter's childhood very well. Perhaps even having photographs of her as a baby.
Right.
Let's remember the before and after.
Everyone to choose.
My cross is made of tiny round gold balls.
But I do want to say this and get some feedback.

I really don't like crosses made of diamonds or any precious stone. Someone gave me one as a gift. I just can't wear it.

Right.
Let's remember the before and after.
Everyone to choose.
My cross is made of tiny round gold balls.
But I do want to say this and get some feedback.

I really don't like crosses made of diamonds or any precious stone. Someone gave me one as a gift. I just can't wear it.
The cross depicts evil, wicked men torturing the best, kindest man that ever lived, and people celebrate it.

The cross depicts evil, wicked men torturing the best, kindest man that ever lived, and people celebrate it.
But this ignores the significance of the cross--there is no salvation without it. It is the means by which we are justified, the means by which sin is defeated, according to God's plan from the foundation of the world, so we rightly celebrate it.

But this ignores the significance of the cross--there is no salvation without it. It is the means by which we are justified, the means by which sin is defeated, according to God's plan from the foundation of the world, so we rightly celebrate it.
We remember Christ's death and resurrection every Sunday morning during the communion service. We do not need a visual aid, thank you very much.

All are vile.
I know what you mean.
It's like carrying an gold image of an electric chair for someone that was put to death by the state.

But I think it's a good witness, a good reminder of what Jesus did for us.
I thought you meant only the crucifix.

Back