Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

James 2:10

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Frances

10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. This is confusing to me. One breaks 1 law and we are held guilty for breaking all. Sounds unfair, but know there is a scripture answer that will help me understand.

10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. This is confusing to me. One breaks 1 law and we are held guilty for breaking all. Sounds unfair, but know there is a scripture answer that will help me understand.
The book of 1 John sheds a good light on our relationship with God's Law. He sums up the Law in loving God with all our heart and loving others as we love ourselves.

David says that he loves God's Law and he meditates in it day and night; while Paul says that we are not subject to the Law and that no one is justified by the Law.

What is important is that David had his heart toward God, and therefore loved His Law, even though we see that he did not keep it perfectly. Paul refers to those who seek to be justified by the outward observance of the Law as a set of strict rules in order to be accepted by God but without having their heart renewed.

Those who seek to please God by keeping the Law, find it a duty and a burden which if they could escape it they would.

But David knew that when he failed, he knew that he would be forgiven. He said, "There is forgiveness with You, that I might fear You." What this means is that knowing that he will not be condemned for his failures, meant that he could be free to genuinely fear the Lord and love Him and His Law.

This is the same with us. We know that as born again believers, there is no condemnation for us, even though we can't keep the Law perfectly. Paul says that the Law is spiritual, but we are sinful, and so it is not the fault of the Law that we can't keep it, it is our sinfulness that causes us to fail. This is why we have 1 John 1:9, that when we do fall off the wagon of holiness, we can go to God's throne of grace, confess our sin, and receive forgiveness and cleansing.

Because we are set free from condemnation through God's forgiveness through the shedding of Christ's blood, we can love God's Law and spend much time meditating in it day and night, and as we allow the Law to guide our lives, we become stronger in our faith and determination to serve the Lord the best we can.

David said, "I have hidden your Word (the Law) in my heart that I might not sin against you."

The Mosaic ceremonial Law was made up of symbols and figures that are fulfilled in the Gospel of Christ. But when David and Christ speak of God's Law, they are speaking of the written Scriptures which contain not only the Commandments, but the promises of God as well.

"sinning against you", means to reject God and Christ entirely.

We have the treasure in earthen vessels, and what motivates us to love the Lord and to fear Him, is that forgiveness is in His nature toward us as born again believers who have new hearts to love and serve Him.

Ever watched a Western cowboy film?
In them a cowboy robs a bank, he breaks the law and becomes an " Outlaw ,".

It is just the same with God's law break one law and you have ' broken the law' and just as Adam broke one command so the result was condemnation.

There is no trading of sin, what ever the sin, a little white lie etc Jesus still had to die a degrading painful, slow death on a cross.

We see a socially accepted act but God see a deliberate act of rebellion against his Holiness, Purity, and Authority.

Ever watched a Western cowboy film?
In them a cowboy robs a bank, he breaks the law and becomes an " Outlaw ,".

It is just the same with God's law break one law and you have ' broken the law' and just as Adam broke one command so the result was condemnation.

There is no trading of sin, what ever the sin, a little white lie etc Jesus still had to die a degrading painful, slow death on a cross.

We see a socially accepted act but God see a deliberate act of rebellion against his Holiness, Purity, and Authority.
This is why our salvation does not depend on what we can or cannot do, or how holy we can be. It depends on our attitude to Christ. Christ is the foundation of our salvation and there is no salvation outside of Him no matter how holy we can become in our conduct and life.

Forgiveness activates a genuine fear of God and faith in Christ. David said, "There is forgiveness with Thee that Thou mayest be feared". Forgiveness through Christ sets us free to genuinely walk with Him and to serve Him with godly fear and trust.

James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not commit murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

There is no such thing as breaking an inconsequential law. There is no grace in the law. The law consists of all God's commands. Breaking any command results in God's wrath. There is no such thing as a small or inconsequential sin.

"We become guilty of all in the sense that we have violated God’s law, not that we have violated every commandment in that law." Tom Constable

James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not commit murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

There is no such thing as breaking an inconsequential law. There is no grace in the law. The law consists of all God's commands. Breaking any command results in God's wrath. There is no such thing as a small or inconsequential sin.

"We become guilty of all in the sense that we have violated God’s law, not that we have violated every commandment in that law." Tom Constable
So, you have pointed out that the wages of sin is death. But there is the second half of the verse which should be included.

Your post is a bit like the Philippian jailor asking Paul, "What shall I do to be saved?" Your post implies that you will tell him that he has broken God's Law and all he can expect is God's wrath.

Perhaps I have you wrong and that you are going to complete your comments with what people should do when convicted of their sinfulness.

Perhaps I have you wrong and that you are going to complete your comments with what people should do when convicted of their sinfulness.
Hey Paul:
I would be happy to do this if you specifically request, but it is not germane to the question posted in the thread which concerns James 2:10-11 which does not allude to "what people should do when convicted of their sinfulness".

Aside: There is a thread about what one should do for eternal life. I have a post there. The thread is somewhat confusing as there are almost as many variant answers as there were posters. (A curiosity to say the least) I can find the thread possibly if you cannot.
Some said you have to get water baptized, some said you must open the law, most said you had to had faith but did not list what you must believe minimally ... very interesting variety.

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

When Jesus said the greatest is love He was referring to the keeping of the moral laws that we are still to follow today. If we break the greatest commandment then we are guilty of breaking all the moral laws of God.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.

Hey Paul:
I would be happy to do this if you specifically request, but it is not germane to the question posted in the thread which concerns James 2:10-11 which does not allude to "what people should do when convicted of their sinfulness".

Aside: There is a thread about what one should do for eternal life. I have a post there. The thread is somewhat confusing as there are almost as many variant answers as there were posters. (A curiosity to say the least) I can find the thread possibly if you cannot.
Some said you have to get water baptized, some said you must open the law, most said you had to had faith but did not list what you must believe minimally ... very interesting variety.
I looked up the James reference and included the context. Here it is:
"8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. 12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

The addition of the context gives a different impression than quoting just verse 9 and 10. Extracting verses 9 and 10 from the context can generate questions and make it appear that things are unfair. But put in the context and we see that James is recommending choosing mercy over judgment, and not supporting favoritism which is as part of lawbreaking as adultery and murder.

The addition of the context gives a different impression than quoting just verse 9 and 10. Extracting verses 9 and 10 from the context can generate questions
Agreed, context is a good thing.

Extracting verses 9 and 10 from the context can generate questions and make it appear that things are unfair.
Aside: Well, from a human stand point there are many things God does that are 'unfair' (not based on or behaving according to the principles of equality) so I never present God as being 'fair' nor has any theologian included 'fairness' as an attribute of God to my knowledge. God is just/good, He is not 'fair'. (Interesting)

But put in the context and we see that James is recommending choosing mercy over judgment, and not supporting favoritism which is as part of lawbreaking as adultery and murder.
Agreed. But the question was about James 2:10-11 and I believed the question centered around breaking law "A" made you guilty of breaking law "B" and that is what I addressed. Other verses didn't seem to expound on this question IMO.

Agreed, context is a good thing.

Aside: Well, from a human stand point there are many things God does that are 'unfair' (not based on or behaving according to the principles of equality) so I never present God as being 'fair' nor has any theologian included 'fairness' as an attribute of God to my knowledge. God is just/good, He is not 'fair'. (Interesting)

Agreed. But the question was about James 2:10-11 and I believed the question centered around breaking law "A" made you guilty of breaking law "B" and that is what I addressed. Other verses didn't seem to expound on this question IMO.
I read something interesting in my reading of John Calvin's commentary on 1 John, where there is a seeming contradiction between the Apostle saying that those who are in Christ cannot sin, and then saying that those who say they are without sin deceive themselves and the truth is not in them.

Calvin gives a good explanation. He says that those who say they are totally pure and free from sin are fanatics, because we have to always contend with our flesh. The Apostle says that there is a sin that is not unto death. What he means is that a genuine believer can be caught up with temptation and have shortcomings and failures, but the shield of faith stops him from being dominated by sin. He can be tripped up through a temptation many times, but through the work of the Spirit in him, he can get up and keep going in faith for Christ.

He says that the sin that is unto death is where a person becomes so involved in sin that he walks right away from Christ and goes right back into a sinful lifestyle, dominated by Satan.

For the genuine believer who sins, the shield of faith stops that sin in his flesh getting through to his heart. Paul had the shield of faith, when he said that his heart wanted to follow the law of God, but his flesh caused him to do things he didn't really want to do. Paul made no excuse for his sinfulness in his flesh. He said, There is nothing good in me, that is, in my flesh".

Yes, it is quite true that sin is transgression against the Law, but the Apostle says that when we transgress the Law, we have an advocate in heaven, Jesus Christ, and because we fear God, we go to His throne of grace to find mercy and help in our time of need.

He says that the sin that is unto death is where a person becomes so involved in sin that he walks right away from Christ and goes right back into a sinful lifestyle, dominated by Satan.
That might contradict the perseverance of the saints that I agree with.

Yes, it is quite true that sin is transgression against the Law, but the Apostle says that when we transgress the Law, we have an advocate in heaven, Jesus Christ, and because we fear God, we go to His throne of grace to find mercy and help in our time of need.
It's always nice to have God as your advocate.

Interesting comments. Aside: We have one guy on here that believes he no longer sins and you're not a Christian if you continue to sin. I hope he's wrong on the 2nd point ... *smile*

It is because the Law is the whole Law. It is not just one law. Thus if you break one law, you have broken the Law.

It is fair, because everyone is found guilty under the Law. The Law shows no favoritism. It fulfills the purpose for which it is given. (Rom. 3:19)

Quantrill

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

His commandments are about love; loving God and loving His children. Therefore if we violate love in one respect, we have violated love.

If we commit adultery with our neighbor’s wife, but we don’t murder him, we are still guilty of not loving him.

JLB

Back