Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus' Authority and Parable of Tenants

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Luke 20:1-19 (New International Version)

Luke 20
The Authority of Jesus Questioned
1One day as he was teaching the people in the temple courts and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2"Tell us by what authority you are doing these things," they said. "Who gave you this authority?"
3He replied, "I will also ask you a question. Tell me, 4John's baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?"

5They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Why didn't you believe him?' 6But if we say, 'From men,' all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet."

7So they answered, "We don't know where it was from."

8Jesus said, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things."

The Parable of the Tenants
9He went on to tell the people this parable: "A man planted a vineyard, rented it to some farmers and went away for a long time. 10At harvest time he sent a servant to the tenants so they would give him some of the fruit of the vineyard. But the tenants beat him and sent him away empty-handed. 11He sent another servant, but that one also they beat and treated shamefully and sent away empty-handed. 12He sent still a third, and they wounded him and threw him out.
13"Then the owner of the vineyard said, 'What shall I do? I will send my son, whom I love; perhaps they will respect him.'

14"But when the tenants saw him, they talked the matter over. 'This is the heir,' they said. 'Let's kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.' 15So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.

"What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16He will come and kill those tenants and give the vineyard to others." When the people heard this, they said, "May this never be!"

17Jesus looked directly at them and asked, "Then what is the meaning of that which is written:
" 'The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone[a]'? 18Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

19The teachers of the law and the chief priests looked for a way to arrest him immediately, because they knew he had spoken this parable against them. But they were afraid of the people.

Footnotes:
a.Luke 20:17 Or cornerstone
b.Luke 20:17 Psalm 118:22

Comments/discussion on how this applies today?

I think we'd have to know what exacty youre looking for, S.
I mean, how it applies depends on what point your making and what you have in mind.
:)

follower of Christ said:
I think we'd have to know what exacty youre looking for, S.
I mean, how it applies depends on what point your making and what you have in mind.
:)

I don't plan on interpreting scripture for anyone if that's what you are getting at. I have no point or hidden agenda here. I know most people on this site disagree with my beliefs yet we still read the same bible. This is a passage I just read recently and I was wondering how people with different beliefs then me would apply this and put it into action in our daily walk. I see a lot of opposition to most of my points of view so I won't be posting my thoughts on this passage. I merely would like to hear other's views. Personal learning for myself if you will.

God sent his prophets and they were killed. He then sent His Son, and He was killed.
The kingdom was taken away from the Jews and given to the true Israel of God ...the church.

glorydaz said:
God sent his prophets and they were killed. He then sent His Son, and He was killed.
The kingdom was taken away from the Jews and given to the true Israel of God ...the church.
Exactly (as long as you are not suggesting that Jews cannot be members of the "true Israel", and I suspect you are not saying this).

I want to comment on the bit about Jesus being the cornerstone of the temple. Jesus claims to be the "true cornerstone" of the temple. This would mean several things. First, it is an implicit claim that God was about to implement judgement against the existing temple (as Jesus further underscores by his overturning of table in the temple). Second, every Jew of that time would know that the Temple is the place where God "lives". Jesus is therefore claiming divinity here in a very cryptic manner.

Third, any Jew of the first century would know that it is the king who has authority over the temple. Jesus is also claiming to the Davidic king.

seekandlisten said:

Well I'm not quite sure what you ask in terms of "applies today" as it was spoken specifically against the religious order that had embraced law over God at the time and in doing so rejected Messiah in the name of their own earthly authority.

Today in my view it serves as a warning, as many things in the old testament serve as warning today, to not lose God and the salvation he has offered by elevation of religiousity and law over Messiah and his teaching.

Drew said:
glorydaz said:
Exactly (as long as you are not suggesting that Jews cannot be members of the "true Israel", and I suspect you are not saying this).

I want to comment on the bit about Jesus being the cornerstone of the temple. Jesus claims to be the "true cornerstone" of the temple. This would mean several things. First, it is an implicit claim that God was about to implement judgement against the existing temple (as Jesus further underscores by his overturning of table in the temple). Second, every Jew of that time would know that the Temple is the place where God "lives". Jesus is therefore claiming divinity here in a very cryptic manner.

Third, any Jew of the first century would know that it is the king who has authority over the temple. Jesus is also claiming to the Davidic king.
Amen...to the Jew first.
Romans 1:16 said:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Good points on the kingship and His divinity, too. :thumbsup
John 12:15 said:
Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass's colt.

crux said:
seekandlisten said:

Well I'm not quite sure what you ask in terms of "applies today" as it was spoken specifically against the religious order that had embraced law over God at the time and in doing so rejected Messiah in the name of their own earthly authority.

Today in my view it serves as a warning, as many things in the old testament serve as warning today, to not lose God and the salvation he has offered by elevation of religiousity and law over Messiah and his teaching.

That's a good point, also.
It could include those who stumble over Jesus' authority as God, Himself.

1 Peter 2:8 said:
And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

Back