Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus is God...the test.

electedbyHim

Elected by Him
Calvinism Overseer
I know that many do not like to use commentaries or other Biblical tools outside of Scripture.

It is a conviction of mine that God has used men, through Holy Spirit to help interpret and illuminate Scripture to those of us who want a deeper understanding from the original languages, and other aspects of hermeneutics that we are not trained in.

This subject that I am posting about our Lord is very controversial for some reason withing Chrisitanity.

Those who do not confess that Jesus Christ is God come in the flesh are not truly regenerated, I believe the Scripture is clear that they are not of God.

While there are many proofs just from Scripture alone that Jesus is God come in the flesh, the following commentary on 1 John 4:2-3 is just an example of many Godly men and their ministry of interpreting the word.

It is my understanding that 1 John is a series of tests to examine gunuine conversion and fellowship with God and the saints.

A Test

4:2–3

2. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3. but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

Note the following observations:

(a) Profession John gives his readers a formula for determining whether a spirit comes from God or from the devil: The Christian recognizes the Spirit of God in anyone who openly confesses that Jesus Christ is both human and divine, and that Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God, “has come in the flesh.” Here we have the established principle for testing whether a particular teaching comes from the Holy Spirit (also see 1 Cor. 12:3).

In the Greek, John uses the perfect tense for the words has come to indicate that Jesus came in human nature and even now in heaven he has a human nature. That is, in addition to his divine nature he also has a human nature. Sixteenth-century German theologian Zacharias Ursinus asked whether these two natures are separated from each other. This is his answer:

Certainly not. For since the divinity is not limited and is present everywhere, it is evident that Christ’s divinity is surely beyond the bounds of the humanity he has taken on, but at the same time his divinity is in and remains personally united to his humanity.3

Scripture teaches that the Christ is Jesus, who as our divine redeemer shares our human nature (Heb. 2:14–15). Any teaching that professes the divinity and humanity of Jesus Christ has its origin in God. The opposite is also true; as C. H. Dodd observes, “No utterance, however inspired, which denies the reality of the Incarnation, can be accepted by Christians as true prophecy.”4

(b) Denial Jesus said, “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven” (Matt. 10:32–33; also see John 8:47; 2 John 7). Anyone who separates the human nature from the divine nature of Jesus Christ speaks without God’s authority. And anyone who denies either Jesus’ human nature or divine nature “is not from God.” Moreover, anyone who teaches that when Jesus was baptized God gave him a divine spirit, and that this spirit left Jesus when he died on the cross distorts the gospel. And last, whoever says that after Jesus’ death God appointed him Son of God fails to present the truth of God’s Word. All such teachers do not speak as representatives of Jesus Christ, have not been commissioned by God, and are not the mouthpieces of the Spirit of God in this world.5

Although John addresses the church of the first century, nothing has changed since that time. Today we have numerous teachers and preachers who deny that Jesus Christ is human and divine. They are not from God, says John. In fact, he labels the spirit of such denial “the spirit of the antichrist.”

(c) Designation John repeats a thought he expressed earlier in the epistle: “The antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come” (2:18; consult also 2 John 7). Now he says, “The antichrist … is coming and even now is already in the world.” He thinks of “all the principles and powers, all the essential characteristics of Antichrist: what … we might call ‘the antichristian nature.’ ”6 That antichristian spirit is here already and expresses itself insidiously and often violently against Jesus Christ and his followers (compare 2 Thess. 2:3–8).

Practical Considerations in 4:1–3

Without exception, liberal theologians refuse to accept the biblical doctrine that Jesus Christ always has been, is, and will be the Son of God, that he came from heaven to redeem his people, that he took upon himself our humanity yet remained truly divine, that he rose bodily from the dead and ascended in his glorified body to heaven, and that he will return at God’s appointed day in the same body in which he ascended. If you compare the teaching of these theologians with God’s Word, you will notice that their opinions are based on human philosophy and not on Scripture. Ask them what they think of the Christ, then go to your Bible and study the teachings of Scripture (Matt. 16:15).

Then there are the members of sects. In pairs they canvass the neighborhood, ring your doorbell, and announce that they are missionaries—even though they do not carry Bibles. When you listen to them, you soon learn that they do not bring the teaching of Christ. The apostle John advises, “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching [of Christ], do not take him into your house or welcome him” (2 John 10).

What does John mean? He means that you may receive the members of the sect into your home only when you intend to teach them about Jesus Christ. Tell them that you are happy in the Lord, because he is your Savior; and that you are pleased to introduce them to Jesus Christ. Then you will be a missionary for the Lord and you are in control of the situation. But if you do not intend to teach these visitors about the Lord, receive them not into your home!

Greek Words, Phrases, and Constructions in 4:2–3

Verse 2

γινώσκετε—the verb can be either indicative or imperative. Although the context calls for the imperative, translators and commentators favor the indicative.

Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν—with reference to the direct object, at least two translations are given: “Jesus as the Christ incarnate” (Moffatt) and “Jesus Christ has come in the flesh” (NIV and other versions). The combination Jesus Christ occurs eight times in John’s epistles (1:3; 2:1; 3:23; 4:2; 5:6, 20; 2 John 3, 7). In two places, John clearly separates the names by writing “Jesus is the Christ” (2:22; 5:1). Therefore, when the names appear together they need to be translated as such.

ἐληλυθότα—the perfect active participle of ἔρχομαι (I come) expresses an action accomplished in the past with lasting effect.

Verse 3

μὴ ὁμολογεῖ—Bruce M. Metzger prefers this reading to λύει “because of overwhelming external support.”7 The use of μή with an indicative instead of οὐ is not uncommon in the New Testament.8

τὸν Ἰησοῦν—the shortest reading is the one given here. Additions to the text are “derived from the previous verse.”9

τό—the definite article needs to be complemented by the noun πνεῦμα.

ἔρχεται—this verb frequently refers to the coming of Christ. Here it stands for the coming of the antichrist.[1]

3 Heidelberg Catechism, question and answer 48.

4 C. H. Dodd, The Johannine Epistles, Moffatt New Testament Commentary series (New York: Harper and Row, 1946), p. 103.

5 Rudolf Schnackenburg considers the wording of verses 2 and 3, because of their distinct contrast, a confession of faith that must be considered original. In short, this confession circulated in the early Christian church. Die Johannesbriefe, Herder’s Theologischer Kommentar zum Neuen Testament series, 7th ed. (Freiburg: Herder, 1984), vol. 13, 3, p. 222.

6 Alfred Plummer, The Epistles of St. John, Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges series (Cambridge: At the University Press, 1896), p. 97.

Moffatt The Bible: A New Translation by James Moffatt

NIV New International Version

7 Bruce M. Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the New Testament, corrected ed. (London and New York: United Bible Societies, 1975), p. 713.

8 Refer to Robertson, Grammar, p. 1169. Also consult C. F. D. Moule, An Idiom-Book of New Testament Greek, 2d ed. (Cambridge: At the University Press, 1960), p. 155.

9 Metzger, Textual Commentary, p. 713.

[1] Simon J. Kistemaker and William Hendriksen, Exposition of James and the Epistles of John, vol. 14, New Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1953–2001), 324–327.

Today we have numerous teachers and preachers who deny that Jesus Christ is human and divine. They are not from God, says John. In fact, he labels the spirit of such denial “the spirit of the antichrist.”
If these "teachers & preachers" say He is neither human and divine, what is He according to them ?

Greetings electedbyhim and Consecrated Life,
The Christian recognizes the Spirit of God in anyone who openly confesses that Jesus Christ is both human and divine, and that Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God, “has come in the flesh.”
I believe that Jesus came in the flesh, he was a human with human nature Hebrews 2:14. He is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection, not God the Son. I consider John is warning and speaking against those who believed that Jesus was of Divine nature during his ministry and denied his humanity. There is no such thing also as Jesus having two natures. You failed the test.
If these "teachers & preachers" say He is neither human and divine, what is He according to them ?
Jesus was and is a human, the Son of God.
I am not sure, but I am certain that those who do not believe in the Deity of Christ will be along soon to to tell us.
Yes, very soon. Signing out, late at night here in Australia. Have fun with your thread. Enough said.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings electedbyhim and Consecrated Life,

I believe that Jesus came in the flesh, he was a human with human nature Hebrews 2:14. He is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection, not God the Son. I consider John is warning and speaking against those who believed that Jesus was of Divine nature during his ministry and denied his humanity. There is no such thing also as Jesus having two natures. You failed the test.

Jesus was and is a human, the Son of God.

Yes, very soon. Signing out, late at night here in Australia. Have fun with your thread. Enough said.

Kind regards
Trevor
@Consecrated Life

Here is just one of the denials of Christs Deity.

I am certain there will be others.

Rev 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
And
Rev 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Jesus discribes himself as the first and the last.
That is he is calling himself God?
Apart from the logical contradiction of , if he is a created being how can he be the first?

Those who do not confess that Jesus Christ is God come in the flesh are not truly regenerated, I believe the Scripture is clear that they are not of God.
Such a statement, when Jesus himself says: GOD IS A SPIRIT AND THEY THAT WORSHIP HIM MUST WORSHIP HIM IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH.

Love, Walter And Debbie

It's a hard thing to grasp that Jesus in heaven bears both human flesh and is a spirit .

Yet when Jesus ascended ,before such his body appeared and having the wounds from the cross .

Rev 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
And
Rev 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Jesus discribes himself as the first and the last.
That is he is calling himself God?
Apart from the logical contradiction of , if he is a created being how can he be the first?
Jesus Christ was not created, I suppose many will point to this Scripture.

Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

Recognize that this verse is where many of cults come to hang out like vultures seeking unwary prey not equipped with the truth and the sword of the Word. First they read you this verse in Colossians and then take you to Luke 2:7 where the same Greek word is used to describe how Mary "gave birth to her first-born (prototokos) Son and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn."

The cultist, be they Jehovah's Witnesses or other genre of false teachers, then conclude that "firstborn" clearly implies that Jesus is the first of several children born to Mary as Scripture reveals there were other children born to her, and thus Jesus is in that sense the first created being. One can see how there is some logic (albeit flawed as discussed below) to their argument.

the firstborn of every creature, 52 that is, the One to whom belongs the right and dignity of the Firstborn in relation to every creature. That the phrase “the firstborn of every creature” cannot mean that the Son himself, too, is a creature, the first in a very long line, is clearly established by verse 16. He is prior to, distinct from, and highly exalted above every creature. As the firstborn he is the heir and ruler of all. Note Psalm 89:27:

“I will also make him my firstborn,

The highest of the kings of the earth.” Cf. Ex. 4:22; Jer. 31:9.

The same thought is expressed in Heb. 1:1, 2, “God … has spoken to us in his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also made the worlds.”

16. The interpretation just given brings verse 15 in harmony with verse 16 which again stresses Christ’s pre-eminence above every creature. And that, let it be re-emphasized, was after all Paul’s main theme over against the teachers of error who were disturbing the church at Colosse. We read:

For in him were created all things In the heavens and on the earth, The visible and the invisible. Whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities, All things through him and with a view to him have been created.

52 It makes little difference in resultant meaning whether πάσης κτίσεως be rendered “of all creation” (cf. Rom. 8:22) or “of every creature” (cf. Rom. 8:39). In favor of “of every creature” is the absence (here in Col. 1:15) of the article. In connection with πάσης one would expect the article if the sense is “of all creation.”

[1] William Hendriksen and Simon J. Kistemaker, Exposition of Colossians and Philemon, vol. 6, New Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1953–2001), 72–73.

the firstborn over all creation. Cf. verse Col_1:18. The Greek word for firstborn can refer to one who was born first chronologically, but most often refers to preeminence in position, or rank (see note on Heb_1:6; cf. Rom_8:29). In both Greek and Jewish culture, the firstborn was the ranking son who had received the right of inheritance from his father, whether he was born first or not. It is used of Israel who, not being the first nation, was however the preeminent nation (cf. Exo_4:22; Jer_31:9).

Firstborn in this context clearly means highest in rank, not first created (cf. Psa_89:27; Rev_1:5) for several reasons: (1) Christ cannot be both "first begotten" and "only begotten" (cf. Joh_1:14, Joh_1:18; Joh_3:16, Joh_3:18; 1Jn_4:9); (2) when the "firstborn" is one of a class, the class is in the plural form (cf. Col_1:18; Rom_8:29), but "creation," the class here, is in a singular form; (3) if Paul was teaching that Christ was a created being, he was agreeing with the heresy he was writing to refute; and (4) it is impossible for Christ to be both created, and the Creator of everything (Col_1:16). Thus, Jesus is the firstborn in the sense that He has the preeminence (Col_1:18) and possesses the right of inheritance "over all creation" (cf. Heb_1:2; Rev_5:1-7, Rev_5:13). He existed before the creation and is exalted in rank above it. See notes on Psa_2:7; Rom_8:29.
Everyone’s favorite John Macarthur

Jesus Christ is the creator.

Colossians 1:16 For in Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.

Jesus Christ was not created, I suppose many will point to this Scripture.

Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

the firstborn of every creature, 52 that is, the One to whom belongs the right and dignity of the Firstborn in relation to every creature. That the phrase “the firstborn of every creature” cannot mean that the Son himself, too, is a creature, the first in a very long line, is clearly established by verse 16. He is prior to, distinct from, and highly exalted above every creature. As the firstborn he is the heir and ruler of all. Note Psalm 89:27:

“I will also make him my firstborn,

The highest of the kings of the earth.” Cf. Ex. 4:22; Jer. 31:9.

The same thought is expressed in Heb. 1:1, 2, “God … has spoken to us in his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also made the worlds.”

16. The interpretation just given brings verse 15 in harmony with verse 16 which again stresses Christ’s pre-eminence above every creature. And that, let it be re-emphasized, was after all Paul’s main theme over against the teachers of error who were disturbing the church at Colosse. We read:

For in him were created all things In the heavens and on the earth, The visible and the invisible. Whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities, All things through him and with a view to him have been created.

52 It makes little difference in resultant meaning whether πάσης κτίσεως be rendered “of all creation” (cf. Rom. 8:22) or “of every creature” (cf. Rom. 8:39). In favor of “of every creature” is the absence (here in Col. 1:15) of the article. In connection with πάσης one would expect the article if the sense is “of all creation.”

[1] William Hendriksen and Simon J. Kistemaker, Exposition of Colossians and Philemon, vol. 6, New Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1953–2001), 72–73.

the firstborn over all creation. Cf. verse Col_1:18. The Greek word for firstborn can refer to one who was born first chronologically, but most often refers to preeminence in position, or rank (see note on Heb_1:6; cf. Rom_8:29). In both Greek and Jewish culture, the firstborn was the ranking son who had received the right of inheritance from his father, whether he was born first or not. It is used of Israel who, not being the first nation, was however the preeminent nation (cf. Exo_4:22; Jer_31:9).

Firstborn in this context clearly means highest in rank, not first created (cf. Psa_89:27; Rev_1:5) for several reasons: (1) Christ cannot be both "first begotten" and "only begotten" (cf. Joh_1:14, Joh_1:18; Joh_3:16, Joh_3:18; 1Jn_4:9); (2) when the "firstborn" is one of a class, the class is in the plural form (cf. Col_1:18; Rom_8:29), but "creation," the class here, is in a singular form; (3) if Paul was teaching that Christ was a created being, he was agreeing with the heresy he was writing to refute; and (4) it is impossible for Christ to be both created, and the Creator of everything (Col_1:16). Thus, Jesus is the firstborn in the sense that He has the preeminence (Col_1:18) and possesses the right of inheritance "over all creation" (cf. Heb_1:2; Rev_5:1-7, Rev_5:13). He existed before the creation and is exalted in rank above it. See notes on Psa_2:7; Rom_8:29.
Everyone’s favorite John Macarthur

Jesus Christ is the creator.

Colossians 1:16 For in Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.
These and many other verse all confirm that Jesus is the second person of the trinity.

Some commentaries line up with scripture while some do not, but are only written with a carnal logic. If we truly want to know truth then we must go to the source of truth which is the word of God for what has already been written.

1. God is Spirit, John 4:24, not flesh and blood and in the OT either spoke directly to the prophets or by angels and also various objects like a burning bush or an ass for example. Between the OT and NT God was silent towards Israel as when they returned to Israel from the Babylonian captivity they came back as merchants and not shepherds as they were disobedient to God going after other gods, Book of Malachi.

2. Jesus being the very Spirit of God before the foundation of the world as He and the Father are one was prophesied by the Prophets in the OT and spoken of by John the Baptist in the NT as John being the forerunner of Christ calling all to repent. As foretold Christ did come as the word of God made flesh (skin, bone, blood) to be that light that shines in darkness. He came as redeemer Savior through Gods grace as Christ is our faith that all can repent of their sins and have eternal life with the Father to all who will believe in Him as Lord and Savior. John 1:1-4; 1 Peter 1:13-21

3. After the sacrifice of Christ God raised Him from the grave and as He had to ascend back up to heaven the promise was that He would never leave us or forsake us as when He ascended He sent down the Holy Spirit (Spirit of God) to indwell all who will believe in Christ and His finished works on the cross. In the OT Gods Spirit fell on them for a time and purpose under heaven. Now we are indwelled with that power and authority through Gods grace that the Holy Spirit now works in us and through us teaching all things God wants us to learn. All three are Spiritual and Spiritual awakenings in us to know the will of God and walk in His statures. John 16:7-15

Ephesians 4: 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit as all three coequal Gods Spirit.

Jesus being the right arm of God. Isaiah 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Jesus is the word of God. John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

Jesus is word, light and life that is God come in the flesh. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Gods Holy Spirit has come to indwell us and teach us. John 14: 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Scriptures that reference Jesus being referred to as God:
John 1:1-14; John 10:30; Romans 9:5; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:8, 9; 1 John 5:7, 8, 20; 1 Corinthians 8:6; 2 Corinthians 3:17; 13:14; Isaiah 9:6; 44:6; Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:23; 28:19; John 14:16, 17; Genesis 1:1, 2 (cross reference John 1:1-14); 1 Corinthians 12:4-6; Ephesians 4:4-6; Colossians 1:15-17; John 14:9-11; Philippians 2:5-8; Rev 1:8

Scriptures that refer the Holy Spirit as being God:
Psalms 139:7, 8; John 14:17; 16:13; Isaiah 40:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10, 11; Zechariah 4:6; Luke 1:35; Ephesians 4:4-6; Romans 5:5; 1 Corinthians 6:19; Ephesians 1:13; 1 Thessalonians 1:5; Titus 3:5; 2 Peter 1:21; Jude 1:20

?

Love, Walter
1John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Meaning all three are God's Spirit. Jesus is word, light and life that is God come in the flesh. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.

1John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Meaning all three are God's Spirit. Jesus is word, light and life that is God come in the flesh. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Good morning Deb, is not Elohim plural?

Good morning Deb, is not Elohim plural?
Yes it is. Here is a link you might like that explains this better then I can.

Yes it is. Here is a link you might like that explains this better then I can.

Thank you Sister

Love, Walter

Look at the verses again.
It doesn't say Jesus the God, but it say Jesus Christ, Christ is not his last name but only a title.
So, what John is saying: How do we know the spirit or the prophet comes from God?
the answer is: If the spirit or the prophet confess Jesus is the Christ who was sent by God.
It's a test to know false prophets.

Look at the verses again.
It doesn't say Jesus the God, but it say Jesus Christ, Christ is not his last name but only a title.
So, what John is saying: How do we know the spirit or the prophet comes from God?
the answer is: If the spirit or the prophet confess Jesus is the Christ who was sent by God.
It's a test to know false prophets.
Are you saying Jesus is not God come in the flesh?

Are you saying Jesus is not God come in the flesh?
>>> According to the scripture: Jesus was a man approved by God, by miracles, wonders and signs which God did among you through him. (Acts 2:22)

If this man (Jesus), were not from God, he could do nothing (John 9:3)
It didn't say: If this man were not God, he could do nothing.

Back