Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hobbies Laguiole knives

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

jaybo

2024 Supporter
I didn't know where else to put this...

I am a knife collector and really appreciate Laguiole knives. They are made in the region of Laguiole en Abrac, France (not necessarily the town itself), based on a 200-year-old design (more or less). Not only is this a classic design but -- and this is the purpose of my post -- there is a cross embedded in the handle of the knife! This style of knife was (and is?) carried by French shepherds so that, at any time, they could embed the blade in a loaf of bread and have a Christian shrine to pray toward. IMHO, it's really an interesting tradition.

The caveat: the name Laguiole is not protected, so anybody, anywhere can make a Laguiole-style knife and stamp "Laguiole" in the blade. Please re-read that sentence! So, how does one get an authentic, quality Laguiole knife? One indicator is the price. A price in the vicinity of $100 is not unusual for the standard knife; any "Laguiole" knives priced in the $25 range are phonies. There is a lot of hand work that goes into an authentic product; knives with more engraving, fancy scales, etc. can cost a lot more.

An interesting feature of these knives is the engraved bee at the hinge. Nobody knows the origin of the bee, but it's always there in some form. For it to be an authentic Laguiole design, the bee is an integral part of the main spring, not welded to it.

Secondly, you want to make sure that you're getting decent steel. 12C27 is the standard high-quality steel for these knives, although some are now being made with higher-quality 14C28 steel. And of course, some are made with damascus (patterned) steel and/or exotic scale material, which increases the price.

Thirdly, if you buy a Laguiole knife online, make sure that the knife is returnable. Make sure that it is well-made and finished, that the blade opens and closes smoothly, and that the blade is centered in the handle slot when closed.

I'm posting this on Christian Forums because of the intrinsic Christian symbolism of this knife. You can PM me if you have any questions, keeping in mind I'm an aficionado collector but not an expert. I just love these knives.

I know someone who loves knives, and collects them. I'm pretty sure he hasn't got one of these. Looked them up on the net. The really nice ones are pricey, but one of them would make a fine Christmas present.

Just checked. In the Bible, bees are symbolic of wisdom, wealth, and industriousness. So perhaps including a bee is another reference to faith.

I am a knife collector and really appreciate Laguiole knives. They are made in the region of Laguiole en Abrac, France (not necessarily the town itself), based on a 200-year-old design (more or less). Not only is this a classic design but -- and this is the purpose of my post -- there is a cross embedded in the handle of the knife! This style of knife was (and is?) carried by French shepherds so that, at any time, they could embed the blade in a loaf of bread and have a Christian shrine to pray toward. IMHO, it's really an interesting tradition.

The caveat: the name Laguiole is not protected, so anybody, anywhere can make a Laguiole-style knife and stamp "Laguiole" in the blade. Please re-read that sentence! So, how does one get an authentic, quality Laguiole knife? One indicator is the price. A price in the vicinity of $100 is not unusual for the standard knife; any "Laguiole" knives priced in the $25 range are phonies. There is a lot of hand work that goes into an authentic product; knives with more engraving, fancy scales, etc. can cost a lot more.

An interesting feature of these knives is the engraved bee at the hinge. Nobody knows the origin of the bee, but it's always there in some form. For it to be an authentic Laguiole design, the bee is an integral part of the main spring, not welded to it.

Secondly, you want to make sure that you're getting decent steel. 12C27 is the standard high-quality steel for these knives, although some are now being made with higher-quality 14C28 steel. And of course, some are made with damascus (patterned) steel and/or exotic scale material, which increases the price.

Thirdly, if you buy a Laguiole knife online, make sure that the knife is returnable. Make sure that it is well-made and finished, that the blade opens and closes smoothly, and that the blade is centered in the handle slot when closed.

I'm posting this on Christian Forums because of the intrinsic Christian symbolism of this knife. You can PM me if you have any questions, keeping in mind I'm an aficionado collector but not an expert. I just love these knives.

Have you ever heard of:

Stainthorpe Knives -
Gareth Bull
Stuart Mitchell

Just checked. In the Bible, bees are symbolic of wisdom, wealth, and industriousness. So perhaps including a bee is another reference to faith.
Thanks for the explanation. I believe that with the Laguiole knives nobody know the origin of the bee or the reason. Your explanation is as good as any. Thanks!

i have a small collection of knives as well so I will look into this!
Thanks!

i have a small collection of knives as well so I will look into this!
Thanks!
You're welcome. I think it's so cool that there is a cross embedded in the handle for the purpose of using it as a shrine wherever you are. Also, Barbarian wrote that the bee, an integral part of the design, are symbolic of wisdom, wealth, and industriousness.

Back