Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Leah Remini and Church of Scientology

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
A & E is airing a series about the Church of Scientology. Is anyone else watching this? If anyone is, please post observations you have made that go against what you know.

Example: If you leave the church, your family that remains in the church has to have "no contact" with you. This is hitting a nerve with me currently, because my sister is cutting off my whole family from her and I feel this is of the devil. (she is not in scientology, but this is happening)

Scientology is not the only church that shuts people off...

I have know one person who read hubbards book.. went to check out the local 'church' and never went back a second time they told Loretta how unhappy she was and how they could fix her ... She was not unhappy etc..
Second a coupe living next door to our good friends... sold all they had to give to the group... including the beds and baby crib... the idea was to make them totally dependent on scientology...
IMO a church should be centered around God scientology is not .. not even close..

often the shutting off is done little bits at a time as to not cause alarm

From what I understand, Scientology's enemy #1 is psychiatry and the rest of mental health, because a lot of what they're about is advancing to higher and higher degrees of awareness and such (there's a TIME article about Scientology from the 90s that covers it more in depth...I think Scientology may still be illegal somewhere, Germany maybe...).

There's lots of $$$ involved for those who have the $$$, to get to these higher levels of knowledge and insight.

On the plus side, the Church of Scientology funds a non-profit, The Citizen's Commission on Human Rights, that looks into abuse in the mental health industry, both in the US and abroad. Some of their material is extreme, but they've managed to shut down private hospitals that were defrauding insurance companies and also worked to curb abuses overseas ("Deep Sleep Treatment" in the late 70s in Australia, for instance).

A & E is airing a series about the Church of Scientology. Is anyone else watching this? If anyone is, please post observations you have made that go against what you know.

Example: If you leave the church, your family that remains in the church has to have "no contact" with you. This is hitting a nerve with me currently, because my sister is cutting off my whole family from her and I feel this is of the devil. (she is not in scientology, but this is happening)
The way one progresses to enlightenment in the "Church" of Scientology is to take their training which costs a lot of money and continues until you have sold everything you own and given it all to them.

The whole thing is a scam to get suckers to part with every last penny of their money.

How much did Jesus and the apostles charge for their teaching?

uh-huh

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

sometimes, I feel the same way about mental health, inc. psychologists, counselors...they're all sortsa compassionate if they can get that insurance $$$$. Take away the profit motive, and they could care less about your problems. That goes double for the psychiatrists.

No wonder scientology doesn't like psychiatry. Its competing for customers and $$$$.

The way one progresses to enlightenment in the "Church" of Scientology is to take their training which costs a lot of money and continues until you have sold everything you own and given it all to them.

The whole thing is a scam to get suckers to part with every last penny of their money.

How much did Jesus and the apostles charge for their teaching?

uh-huh

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Someone, I forget who, gave me a copy of dianetics when I was growing up and...I didn't even finish it. I tossed it. What's supposed to be so appealing about scientology? I think one would have to be pretty brain dead to like it. They are freaking weird.

sometimes, I feel the same way about mental health, inc. psychologists, counselors...they're all sortsa compassionate if they can get that insurance $$$$. Take away the profit motive, and they could care less about your problems. That goes double for the psychiatrists.

No wonder scientology doesn't like psychiatry. Its competing for customers and $$$$.
Psychologists, psychiatrists, licensed counselors make their living from their work just like doctors and carpenters and computer programmers. They go to school to get at least a masters (counselors) but more commonly a doctorate degree. (Psychologists, psychiatrists.)
And, just as a professional carpenter or programmer can't make a living doing free work, neither can those professionals. (Although some do volunteer work.)

And they don't soak you for your very last dime claiming to help you realize that you're really a god who came here 75 million years ago but forgot who you were.

And, just to let you know, the insurance companies have cut way back on what they will pay an MD Psychiatrist. I have a friend who quit taking insurance payments because they don't pay enough to cover costs and they often don't pay at all.

1Ti 5:18 For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

I agree to a point. Problem is...mental illnesses don't show up on brain scans or blood work. They exist in the DSM, which means they're "real" as social constructs, not as bona fide brain diseases. Personally, I'd say that there's probably something of a physical basis, but a lot of it is social problems playing out in individuals' lives.

$100 spent on a shrink is $100 --not-- spent on non-medical approaches to what may very well be largely non-medical problems; problems in living, as Szasz puts it.

Still, shrinks can help. I have a diagnosis of severe Bipolar I. I have to see a psychiatrist every 8-12 weeks. The pills he prescribes help, but a lot of it is just that the lil cocktail makes it possible for me to move forward in life, with God's help. (I'd also like to add that the new drugs, while more tolerable than the old ones, are ridiculously over-priced, lol).

I think there has to be a balance. I also find that there's a lot of anti-Christian ideology and dogma within a lot of mental health, so I sometimes find it curious that a lot of Christians (strangely enough, to me, the more conservative ones) are often gung-ho about unquestioning support of the mental health industry.

Scientology baffles me, but the Citizen's Commission on Human Rights has done some good work, and they raise important and interesting points.

Scientology baffles me, but the Citizen's Commission on Human Rights has done some good work, and they raise important and interesting points.
CCHR, the newspeak-named Citizen's Commission on Human Rights, run by a Scientologist by the name of Dennis Clarke. CCHR's main purpose is clearing away the ''Psyches'' (mental health professionals; seen by Scientology as evil aliens from the fifth galactic invader force) to make way for Scientology's advance into society. CCHR is a front group for Scientology.
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/c119.html

Scientology is rife with pop-psychology and religious cult mythology.
Scientology is a total fraud. It is the invention of a science fiction writer.
The Scientology leadership hate psychology and Psychiatry because they are both based on real science and not on the fiction of being gods who came to earth 75 million years ago, forgot who they were, and got their minds filled with "engrams" that need to be "cleared." (Assumedly, by giving all you money to their "church.")
Psychiatry has it's problems, as do the pill-pushing American medical practices of today, but it is not a cult created to fleece suckers of their last penny as is Scientology.

My only experience with bi-polar disorder is q friend who had a very hard time until the doctors finally got her medication properly balanced to compensate for the chemical imbalances her body produces. There are side effects of every "drug" but none that she is taking seem to be as bad as swinging from suicidal to homicidal and back again with periods of stability in between.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but yes, my wife and I were glued to it.

I helped build A.S.H.O. And was compensated with courses. About $25,000 worth plus auditing. I thought at one time I wanted to be an auditor and could make a difference in the lives of many.

There is some good technology in Scientology, and then there is the whacked religious aspect. It's downright ..... I don't have the words.

I've got hundreds of hours of Hubbard's lectures and he knows how to spin words that's for sure.

Anyway, I worked right Along with the Sea Org and the SP's in black with arm bands. The disconnect was widely known inside the cult, and the fear of separation keeps many members in.

wow, stove Bolts...that's crazy stuff.

As I posted a while back in this thread, the only thing I like about Scientologists is the CCHR. I've been victimized by Mental Health, Inc., and I've seen the fall out of "treatment" in the lives of other people, too, and...yeah. I'm glad somebody, somewhere is doing something about it, even if they are funded by the Scientologists.

wow, stove Bolts...that's crazy stuff.

As I posted a while back in this thread, the only thing I like about Scientologists is the CCHR. I've been victimized by Mental Health, Inc., and I've seen the fall out of "treatment" in the lives of other people, too, and...yeah. I'm glad somebody, somewhere is doing something about it, even if they are funded by the Scientologists.
I understand and agree. One of lures toward Scientology and to become an auditor myself was due to abuses in the state mental health institution.

Like my Dad told me, keep the good and throw the rest away.

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but yes, my wife and I were glued to it.

I helped build A.S.H.O. And was compensated with courses. About $25,000 worth plus auditing. I thought at one time I wanted to be an auditor and could make a difference in the lives of many.

There is some good technology in Scientology, and then there is the whacked religious aspect. It's downright ..... I don't have the words.

I've got hundreds of hours of Hubbard's lectures and he knows how to spin words that's for sure.

Anyway, I worked right Along with the Sea Org and the SP's in black with arm bands. The disconnect was widely known inside the cult, and the fear of separation keeps many members in.
This is interesting you were going through the courses. A first hand experience! I was thinking the auditing may be one of the only things that could be helpful. Is it like a lie detector?

This is interesting you were going through the courses. A first hand experience! I was thinking the auditing may be one of the only things that could be helpful. Is it like a lie detector?
Not only did I take many courses, I took them in LA at the American Saint Hill Org which I helped build.

In the right hands, the e-meter is far more accurate than a lie detector. From what I recall, and mind you it's been right at 20 years ago, but it works on the electrical circutes in your body and the idea that every memory takes up mass in your Mi d / body.
We used to go to Hollywood Blvd with our pamphlets and give demonstrations. We would have anyone hold the cans and we would pinch them. With their permission of course. When we pinched them, the needle on the e-meter would jump.

We would then ask them to recall the pinch, and when they did, the meter would respond. As we continued to ask them to recall the pinch, the meter would respond less and less until the needle was flat.

In $Scientology, they believe every experience has mass, and in the reactive mind, the goal is to take every negative charge and run it until it's flat. They do this with the meter by following the charge to earlier, similar experiences with the belief your mind stores every memory, even in the womb, and this is really where it goes crazy, because they say you even have memories of past lives, and those are addressed in the "ot" levels.

Scientology is a cult of course. Its founder being a mediocre Science Fiction author at the time, that in itself should forewarn potential candidates to run for the hills before they believe this garbage.
The whole thing boils down to a really bad, I mean really bad, Sci-Fi fiction. Xenu!

I wish Ms.Remini would address the murder of Lisa McPherson 22 years ago.
WIKIPEDIA Lisa McPherson
Lisa McPherson

Born February 10, 1959
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
Died December 5, 1995 (aged 36)
Clearwater, Florida, U.S.
Cause of death Pulmonary embolism/negligent homicide

Lisa McPherson (February 10, 1959 – December 5, 1995) was an American member of the Church of Scientology who died of a pulmonary embolism while under the care of the Church of Scientology Flag Service Organization, Inc. Following the report of the state of Florida's medical examiner that indicated that Lisa was a victim of negligent homicide,[1] the Church of Scientology was indicted on two felony charges, "abuse and/or neglect of a disabled adult" and "practicing medicine without a license." The charges against the Church of Scientology were dropped after the state's medical examiner changed the cause of death from "undetermined" to an "accident" on June 13, 2000. A civil suit brought by her family against the Church was settled on May 28, 2004.[2]
Read More @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson

And Tom Cruise, the most public Scientologist celebrity, the cult has a Celebrity Center just for such people, did not just drink the Kool-Aid. He apparently created a still and IV's the stuff regularly. Seriously, this man is nuts!

In this clip for better understanding. KSW= Keep Scientology Working , LRH= L.Ron Hubbard,founder of Scientology, SP= Suppressive Person. (opponents of SP. Like his ex-wife Nicole Kiddman. )
The book, Dianetics, gets a lot of people into this cult. My mom bought it when it first came out. I found it in the back of a her closet. I tried to read it and couldn't get past the second page. Total BS.

Last edited:
Scientology is a cult of course. Its founder being a mediocre Science Fiction author at the time, that in itself should forewarn potential candidates to run for the hills before they believe this garbage.
The whole thing boils down to a really bad, I mean really bad, Sci-Fi fiction. Xenu!

I wish Ms.Remini would address the murder of Lisa McPherson 22 years ago.
WIKIPEDIA Lisa McPherson
Lisa McPherson

Born February 10, 1959
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
Died December 5, 1995 (aged 36)
Clearwater, Florida, U.S.
Cause of death Pulmonary embolism/negligent homicide

Lisa McPherson (February 10, 1959 – December 5, 1995) was an American member of the Church of Scientology who died of a pulmonary embolism while under the care of the Church of Scientology Flag Service Organization, Inc. Following the report of the state of Florida's medical examiner that indicated that Lisa was a victim of negligent homicide,[1] the Church of Scientology was indicted on two felony charges, "abuse and/or neglect of a disabled adult" and "practicing medicine without a license." The charges against the Church of Scientology were dropped after the state's medical examiner changed the cause of death from "undetermined" to an "accident" on June 13, 2000. A civil suit brought by her family against the Church was settled on May 28, 2004.[2]
Read More @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson

And Tom Cruise, the most public Scientologist celebrity, the cult has a Celebrity Center just for such people, did not just drink the Kool-Aid. He apparently created a still and IV's the stuff regularly. Seriously, this man is nuts!

In this clip for better understanding. KSW= Keep Scientology Working , LRH= L.Ron Hubbard,founder of Scientology, SP= Suppressive Person. (opponents of SP. Like his ex-wife Nicole Kiddman. )
The book, Dianetics, gets a lot of people into this cult. My mom bought it when it first came out. I found it in the back of a her closet. I tried to read it and couldn't get past the second page. Total BS.
My brother got Dianetics and then hooked up with the local Org. That's how I got introduced. When I went to LA, I went for the work knowing little to nothing about Scientology other than they didn't like psychiatry which sat extremely well with me and I could learn how to help people with LRH tech. It was an experience for sure.

What is your affinity for Lisa?

me, yet again. OK. I am a Born Again Christian, so I regard Scientology as a false religion. I am sorry about the victims of this and other false religions, I really am. Having said that...

...one reason I don't mind Scientologists as much as, say, Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons or any number of New Age cults that pop up now and then is because of the CCHR. The CCHR is funded by the Scientologists, but it was founded by Dr.Thomas Szasz, an influential critic of psychiatry (and a psychiatrist himself, btw).

Think about it this way....they do documentaries on Scientology periodically, hold up pictures of victims, all that. Fair enough. When's the last time you saw a picture of any victims of psychiatry? When's the last time families ripped apart by Mental Health, Inc. got to go on a major news network and tell their story?

I am not saying that the CCHR justifies Scientology's excesses and abusive practices. no way. But, in the interest of fairness, keep in mind that the CCHR has, over the years: gotten "professionals" in legal trouble for sexual assaulting patients; shut down for profit mental hospitals for insurance fraud; shut down "deep sleep treatment" facilities in which people paid $$$ and ended up drugged to the gills and severely brain damaged; and exposed any number of other, less attention-grabbing cases of psychiatric abuse at the state and local levels.

Go to any group home in America, any of the remaining state hospitals...you'll see victims of psychiatry. Actually, a lot of people who are on the streets, homeless, have had way too much "treatment," also. Jails and prisons, even foster care facilities and juvenile detention centers...more victims of psychiatry. Not only do the vast majority of people --not-- care, a lot of this torture is paid for w/ tax payer money, and Mental Health, Inc. is forever demanding more and more $$$ for more and more "treatment," all while suicide rates continue to climb and communities and families continue to disintegrate.

I know all this because I --was-- definitely a Victim of Psychiatry, until Jesus saved me, and really...until recently. Like many victims of psychiatry, I was (and am, now) met with scorn and derision from all angles. Now, The Lord has seen fit that I be made healthy, smart enough, remarkably whole, even normal in ways that really matter....

...and I find that it really is "darned if you do, darned if you don't." "Nothing personal," I suppose. Now that The Lord has willed to make me healthy+whole, etc., I'm labeled as "Schizophrenic" in the community....largely because I "p!ssed the shrinks off," it seems. My psych records contain all sorts of inaccurate information, but those records will, in all likelihood, outlive me. Medical records in other specialties are often destroyed after a number of years. Psychiatric records are usually kept indefinitely. Read in between the lines: for all this talk of "helping people," psychiatry really serves as a form of control and oppression.

So...OK. Scientology strikes me as bizarre, and I am genuinely sorry that their abusive tactics have ruined families and cost some people their lives. Having said that, they fund the CCHR, which is the --1-- organization I can think of that has the power and resources to do something about Mental Health, Inc.'s "treatment methods."

((end of rant))

Christ_empowered
No worries on your rant haha, your in good company. There are a lot of good things in Scientology, and I don't want to take away from that. We could focus on the evil they create, and we should call them out on it.

I believe this thread was created to expose the tactics of disassociation that Scientology uses. It's brutal, mean and destructive. But they are not the only religion to use this tactic, and even some Christian sects impose this type of disassociation. Actually, I know of a gal who was brought up in the Church and she was a wild child and got pregnant as a teen. The Elders told everyone to disassociate from her, although few actually did. To date, she hates religion, and rightly so.

The issue of psychiatry and their abuses was the lure that brought me to Scientology. Rightly so. Scientology has done some great work in the realm of reform and the battle stemmed when LRH introduced Dianetics to Congress, but lost the bid to psychiatry.... And the war was on, and CCH was started.

Back