Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Let's talk about Godly love

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Seasoned by Grace

Staff member
Hi every one :wave
To me, Godly love is a huge topic all throughout the entire bible.
Today, we don't often hear much about it even in church, and
how to apply it to those around us, and to loving God Himself.

In these troubling times all over the world, maybe the timing is
right to give people an opportunity to have a place where Godly
love is the focus and main topic to discuss and share opinions, beliefs,
and experiences, and even give kindly advise and answer questions
about a topic that could be foreign, even uncomfortable to admit not
understanding it, which I didn't the first 20 years of my Christian walk.

I was totally clueless and felt like it was beyond me.

All of 1st Corinthians 13 made me feel like I may be a lost cause, as I
saw no way to ever be like it says that we should be.

But after 20 years of not getting "it", my desire for "Godly love, and the
ability to understand it" began to grow, and then after another "20 years"
of the Holy Spirit stepping in to my life to help me,
I can see, at least to me, that it's a topic that has a 'major place" of discussion in all forums, if people are
willing to see the importance and relevance in today's violent society.

If you would, give me some feedback folks, and lets start some discussions to
help each other learn and grow together, about this vastly misunderstood character
trait of Gods called Godly love, and how is that Godly love supposed to work in our lives.

God bless you all for looking in, and I hope your attracted to the topic and want to
give some feedback, and maybe add a thread that fits into our discussion here.

My name is OLIGOS

Last edited:
Love is patient
Humble Soul is not
How does love handle bullies?
Surely not by being kind?

Ahhh...my friend humble soul.
God sets a beautiful example of His love and kindness through His son Jesus Christ,
and throughout the Old and new Testament..

His grace, mercy and forgiveness is beyond any mans ability to comprehend, but
it's a free gift that is so simple to claim and grow from in His love.

Forgiveness from God from any sin, releases us from the burden of that sin, and allows us the freedom to live
set free.

The beauty of His love is beyond explaination.

God bless you and thank you for the gift of your friendship.
My name is OLIGOS

Last edited:
Sorry oligos . But I want to know how to love in the face of adversity. When my enemy is focussing on my weaknesses. How do I love someone who repeatedly insults me? Should ignore them and leave?

Boy, that has been a tough one for me over the years.
It depends a lot on who the person is and how connected you are to that person.

Prayer in the middle of a situation you mentioned, if you can remember to pray, and then recalling some verses that have helped before, can make a big difference in your response, as well as having to experience that sort of thing over and over helps you to relax and not verbally retaliate.

But the biggest thing that started helping me, is the studying of Gods verses on the topic of love throughout the bible, and then praying about wanting God to teach me about His love - "How to love all men in every situation, not just that one,
This is really about being prepared ahead of time with Godly love already in your heart, so there's no problem when the abuse begins.
Insults and attacks that are stinging are so usually because we don't feel good about ourselves, and the insults remind us of how badly we see ourselves, because we already believe those insults and when they remind us, it hurts deeply.

I've been there, and eventually went to a good Christian councilor, and boy did that turn my life around and help me love myself, so no matter what, I could give that love away I had for myself to others and expect nothing in return.
By that time I was fine with who I was and could care less if I was insulted. I would just return the comments with love and kindness as I do now.
Their insults for me are just their opinion with no truth.
God helps me define myself, and no one else.
Ask Him to change your heart and view of yourself, and He will.
He did me when I couldn't.

God bless you as we help each other to the end.
My name is OLIGOS

Love is patient
Humble Soul is not

Have you ever heard the saying, "kill them with kindness and love and pray for your enemies". This refers to responding to bullies without revenge allowing more injury. Injury can be physical abuse or mental abuse. Jesus says to turn the other cheek meaning not to retaliate, but to show them kindness, Matthew 5:38-48.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

There is no greater love than the horrendous things Jesus endured without uttering a word as He laid His life down for everyone, Matthew 27:27-44, including His enemies.

When I read Matthew Chapter 27 I cry as I shamed Him so many times in my 65 years here on earth and can not even fathom such Godly love for me.

This is a short version of my full testimony.

MY TESTIMONY
May 18th 1997

I am lost, confused and scared. Will I ever fit in anywhere in this life? I'm hurting, but who cares. I'm lonely and all alone within myself. I've been so used and abused. Where and when will it be my turn! Where are the open arms to hold me and hug me, to tell me I do matter in this life! Where is the voice to calm my tears of pain? I give and give, but nothing gives back in return. I'm mad and angry for what has been taken away from me! How do I go on? I search for God to answer my needs, but never get an answer.

I am a voice that cries out in the wilderness. Will no one listen! Will no one care! I feel like I am invisible at times and when I pray I feel my prayers are falling on deaf ears. I know God loves me. He has rescued me from death and destruction. He has rescued me from wanting to commit suicide. I have never opened my feelings with anyone except God. I have purged and purged until I cannot cry anymore. God has forgiven and forgot my past, how do I! I've been told I am strong and can handle my situations, guess what, I am not strong and I can't handle it anymore! Please God help me!

I am now ready to open up. I can't deal with the pain anymore. I want to let loose and completely die to myself and live for God. I'm asking for total deliverance of all the holds Satan has on me. I'm tired of fighting this on my own. I'm tired of Satan laughing at me and making me feel like nothing and always coming against me. Jesus, save me from my torment! You have called me into service and I am not ready. Lord God please perform a complete deliverance in me. Make my feet straight for what you are calling me to do. Show me how to do your will. Lord you know my heart and you know what I feel I need to do. Open that door and prepare me away.

This is the answer God gave me. When you cry out to him, he will hear you and speak to your heart. You might not like the answer he gives you, but if you really listen it is always the right answer.

11 Kings 5:10, 11
But Naaman was wroth and went away and said, Behold, I thought he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God and strike his hand over the place and recover the leper.

God was showing me in the above scripture the beginning of relying solely on him and not what man could do for me. I was going from church to church trying to fit in with the people. I was trying to find answers and help for myself through the recognition of man. All that got me was more disappointment and frustration. When I learned to give myself totally over to the Lord and rely on him alone and his word is when my life completely changed for the better. Now I serve God with a glad heart and praise him for all his wonderful blessings.

Love is patient
Humble Soul is not
God uses the bullies to shape you into His image, if you have the faith to follow in Jesus footsteps and teachings.
Here is something I put together that partially addresses your question.

Hi every one :wave
To me, Godly love is a huge topic all throughout the entire bible.
Today, we don't often hear much about it even in church, and
how to apply it to those around us, and to loving God Himself.

In these troubling times all over the world, maybe the timing is
right to give people an opportunity to have a place where Godly
love is the focus and main topic to discuss and share opinions, beliefs,
and experiences, and even give kindly advise and answer questions
about a topic that could be foreign, even uncomfortable to admit not
understanding it, which I didn't the first 20 years of my Christian walk.

I was totally clueless and felt like it was beyond me.

All of 1st Corinthians 13 made me feel like I may be a lost cause, as I
saw no way to ever be like it says that we should be.

But after 20 years of not getting "it", my desire for "Godly love, and the
ability to understand it" began to grow, and then after another "20 years"
of the Holy Spirit stepping in to my life to help me,
I can see, at least to me, that it's a topic that has a 'major place" of discussion in all forums, if people are
willing to see the importance and relevance in today's violent society.

If you would, give me some feedback folks, and lets start some discussions to
help each other learn and grow together, about this vastly misunderstood character
trait of Gods called Godly love, and how is that Godly love supposed to work in our lives.

God bless you all for looking in, and I hope your attracted to the topic and want to
give some feedback, and maybe add a thread that fits into our discussion here.

My name is OLIGOS

Amen! Beautifully said . . .

But the biggest thing that started helping me, is the studying of Gods verses on the topic of love throughout the bible, and then praying about wanting God to teach me about His love - "How to love all men in every situation, not just that one,
This is really about being prepared ahead of time with Godly love already in your heart, so there's no problem when the abuse begins.

Amen. I have found that spending time alone with the Lord in prayer and worship, prepares me for the great challenges ahead.
I can do nothing apart from being filled with His Presence and great love.

I have had to forgive people of some horrendous things in my life and it was only by His grace and love within me, and not by my own shallow, self centered love, that I was able to forgive and pray for those people.

God truly is love.

JLB

What a beautiful testimony that is. God's love saved my life. As I grow deeper into my Christian faith I find I love everyone, even my enemy. It's an amazing feeling to be content after a very traumatic life. It brings me to tears. Everybody have a great day.

I'm far from being perfect as I still have my faults, but God is helping me in those weak areas as He is helping you in your understanding. I don't think you are the "grumpy old man" anymore, but truly becoming a humbled soul :)

We ALL a work in progress. Perfectly imperfect. We all sit in the shadow of God's perfection. We are all reformed. We are all forgiven for our sins.

I just found out a few months ago that my grandmother was Jewish. I was thrilled to find out I was a "Jewish Princess." LOL. So now I have an additional label. I am a Reformed Jew who believes in Jesus Christ. I just adore people who are all mixed up with a variety of races. I am part Jewish, part English, French, German, Irish, and a full time Christian. My family goes back to 1629 and Peabody, MA is named after my family. My son didn't take my name so I adopted an orphan in Kenya and named him after my brother Edward Peabody. So when my biological son passes on our family name will be part of the African culture. I got an early start on the change in color as m son is half black. I am rambling . . . take care.

Back