Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Living without sin ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Just caught a little flak for posting about life without sin, but I have to wonder...isn't that what we are supposed to be doing?
What is sin? According to the sermon on the mount, that look at a pretty girl which feeds into lust is sin.
That anger at someone who cuts you up, scratches your car is sin.

Can you live without sinning?

Remember in 1john 1:8+9 which is addressed to Christians he says if we say we have no sin, that is we do not commit sin, we are decieving ourselves.

Just caught a little flak for posting about life without sin, but I have to wonder...isn't that what we are supposed to be doing?
I think when we strive to live a life without sin, we have life more abundantly and this is a noble plight.

One thing I think often goes unnoticed is that sin is not always something we do. Often, our sins are seen in what we fail to do. For me, that’s my struggle.

What is sin? According to the sermon on the mount, that look at a pretty girl which feeds into lust is sin.
That anger at someone who cuts you up, scratches your car is sin.
Good start...It is written that "all unrighteousness is sin". (1 John 5:17)
Can you live without sinning?
Yes, thanks be to God !
Remember in 1john 1:8+9 which is addressed to Christians he says if we say we have no sin, that is we do not commit sin, we are decieving ourselves.
I John 1 is written to Christians, but it is about two very different kinds of man and two very different kinds of walk.
Some of the verses apply to those who walk in darkness, while other only apply to those who walk in the light.
Verses 6, 8, and 10 apply to those walking in sin, while verses 5, 7, and 9 apply to those walking in God.

I John 1 is written to Christians, but it is about two very different kinds of man and two very different kinds of walk.
Some of the verses apply to those who walk in darkness, while other only apply to those who walk in the light.
Verses 6, 8, and 10 apply to those walking in sin, while verses 5, 7, and 9 apply to those walking in God.

I am sorry but to say that is to distort scripture.
There is no break in the flow,John is talking to you and me as Christians who will commit sin.

I am sorry but to say that is to distort scripture.
There is no break in the flow,John is talking to you and me as Christians who will commit sin.
John uses the same alternating verse system that Paul uses in Romans 8.
There, Paul alternates between walking in the flesh with walking in the Spirit.
In 1 John 1, John alternates between walking in the light and walking in darkness.
It is a system that juxtaposes one walk against another walk.

1 John 1:7 says ALL our sins can be washed away, while 1 John 1:9 says ALL our unrighteousness can be cleansed.
So why can't we say we have no sin?
Of course it is incumbent on us to continue walking in the light to remain sin free.

Yes. We are to live in obedience to the truth; to walk according to the Spirit.

If we should sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ His Son; the righteous One.

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2

• He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Notice that He is the propitiation for our sins; Christians

Not only ours (Christians) but also for the whole world.

JLB

Yes. We are to live in obedience to the truth; to walk according to the Spirit.
Do you believe that is possible?
If we should sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ His Son; the righteous One.
My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2
  • He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
Notice that He is the propitiation for our sins; Christians
Not only ours (Christians) but also for the whole world.
JLB
I thank God for His Advocate, as He did wash away my past sins with His own blood.
I am so thankful that I now walk in the light and in the Spirit full-time.

Do you believe that is possible?

Yes, that is what we who have the Spirit are to do; walk according to the Spirit, which is how we avoid walking according to the flesh.

This is what Paul discovered in his life as a Christian, and wrote about his experience in Romans 7.

JLB

John uses the same alternating verse system that Paul uses in Romans 8.
There, Paul alternates between walking in the flesh with walking in the Spirit.
In 1 John 1, John alternates between walking in the light and walking in darkness.
It is a system that juxtaposes one walk against another walk.

1 John 1:7 says ALL our sins can be washed away, while 1 John 1:9 says ALL our unrighteousness can be cleansed.
So why can't we say we have no sin?
Of course it is incumbent on us to continue walking in the light to remain sin free.

Paul is very clear in Romans 8, he says when talking of the non Christian, " the ungodly " it does not have to be inferred.
In 1 John it is clear that this letter was sent to Christians and referrs always to Christians.

Why can't you say you have no sin? No one is stopping you from saying that.
It is just that John says only nonchristians say that.

As you rightly say we have to strive to live a sinless life.

Paul is very clear in Romans 8, he says when talking of the non Christian, " the ungodly " it does not have to be inferred.
In 1 John it is clear that this letter was sent to Christians and referrs always to Christians.
It doesn't refer to Christians in verse 6..."If we say we have fellowship with Him, but walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth."
1 John 1:6 describes posers; false Christians or unbelievers.
Those without fellowship with God.
Why can't you say you have no sin? No one is stopping you from saying that.
It is just that John says only nonchristians say that.
John is saying. in 1 John 1:8, that it is those who don't have fellowship with God that can't say "I have no sin".
As you rightly say we have to strive to live a sinless life.
Amen.
Don't you just love 1 Cor 10:13..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." ?
God has enabled us to say we have no sin till the end of our lives on earth.

doesn't refer to Christians in verse 6..."If we say we have fellowship with Him, but walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth."
How many non christians do you know who claim to be in fellowship with Jesus.
This is a claim made only by Christians.

How many non christians do you know who claim to be in fellowship with Jesus.
This is a claim made only by Christians.
Go to any false "church" building.
All of those who commit sin have NO fellowship with God.
They are the non-Christians I refer to.
God is light, (1 John 1:5), there is no sin in God, (1 John 1:5). Those who walk in the light-God also have no sin on/in them.
Do you understand that the darkness John referred to is sin?
It is written..."The way of the wicked is as darkness:..." (Pro 4:19)

Thankfully, God has given us all we need to walk without interruption in the light, wherein is no sin.

Go to any false "church" building.
All of those who commit sin have NO fellowship with God.
They are the non-Christians I refer to.
God is light, (1 John 1:5), there is no sin in God, (1 John 1:5). Those who walk in the light-God also have no sin on/in them.
Do you understand that the darkness John referred to is sin?
It is written..."The way of the wicked is as darkness:..." (Pro 4:19)

Thankfully, God has given us all we need to walk without interruption in the light, wherein is no sin.

In saying that you are adding your understand to how one understand the Bible.
There is no such distinction in the passage.

Those who walk in the light-God also have no sin on/in them.

This is a blatantly false statement. Which is why you didn’t actually quote the scripture itself.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

The blood of Jesus cleanses those who walk in the light as He is in the light.

Unbelievers, who are sinners, those who are apart from Christ, do not have this promise.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8

John squarely places the pronouns of “we” and “us” in this passage, to show that Christians, believers, regenerated ones who clam to have no sin, and therefore no need of the blood of Jesus to cleanse us when we “miss the mark”, when we sin, are deceivers of themselves and the truth is not in them.

Each born again Christian carries around a body that contains sin. Our flesh will continue to have sin until we die and our bodies are resurrected and or transformed, at Hs coming.

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:16-17

• For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another,

The flesh at some point, during the day, during the week, during the year, is going win the tug of war battle and lead us to do what is comfortable, rather than what the Spirit desires, such as eat when the Spirit wants us to fast, sleep all night when the Spirit wants us to pray, watch a you tube clip, when the Spirit wants us to read the Bible, even read the Bible when the Spirit wants us to spend time in our prayer closet worshipping the Lord and praying in the Spirit.

These are just some of some mild examples of sin, missing the mark, that we as Christians are guilty of, whereby we need to forgiven and cleansed of all unrighteousness.

Each of these things is sin, it’s doing what we want, what our flesh wants rather than how the Spirit is leading us.

Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. James 4:17

Thank God as we grow more mature, we yield more and more to the Spirit’s leading in our lives.

Thank God for the blood of Jesus, that is available to us, when we fall short.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Who does “us” refer to in this passage?

• Unbelievers, sinners, lost people?
  • The Apostle John, born again Christians, believers.

JLB

In saying that you are adding your understand to how one understand the Bible.
There is no such distinction in the passage.
Yes I am, and "my" understanding comes via the gift of the Holy Ghost.
You follow a "teacher" that keeps you sinning.
I serve a Teacher who freed me from sinning.
Which teacher is from God?

This is a blatantly false statement. Which is why you didn’t actually quote the scripture itself.
Where your POV true, then there is sin-darkness in God.
It is written..."This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.' (1 John 1:5)
If we are in the light, there can be no sin in us...or we are NOT in the light.
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7
The blood of Jesus cleanses those who walk in the light as He is in the light.
That being true, those who are uncleaned of sin are not in the light.
Unbelievers, who are sinners, those who are apart from Christ, do not have this promise.
They sure do, as I was an unbeliever before hearing of, and turning from sin so I could walk in the light, who is God.
It is those who walk in darkness who require the washing away of their sins by the blood of Christ.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8
Thanks be to God we CAN say we have no sin from inside the light, where we were cleansed of ALL sin.
John squarely places the pronouns of “we” and “us” in this passage, to show that Christians, believers, regenerated ones who clam to have no sin, and therefore no need of the blood of Jesus to cleanse us when we “miss the mark”, when we sin, are deceivers of themselves and the truth is not in them.
He also uses the word "IF".
If we walk in darkness, (sin), we can neither say we have fellowship with God, that we have no sin, or that we have never sinned.
BUT, if we walk in the light, ALL our unrighteousness, sin, CAN be washed away by the blood of Christ.
By remaining in God, the light, we can remain free of sin.
Each born again Christian carries around a body that contains sin. Our flesh will continue to have sin until we die and our bodies are resurrected and or transformed, at Hs coming.
Sorry to see you following after such unbiblical, untruths, that keep the soul in bondage.
The bible say the old man can be killed and replaced by one reborn of God's seed.
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:16-17
A choice the holy make every day...and so do the unholy.
The sanctified retain their holiness by their walk in the Spirit.
The unsanctified keep going after the flshh...to their own destruction.
for the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another,

The flesh at some point, during the day, during the week, during the year, is going win the tug of war battle and lead us to do what is comfortable, rather than what the Spirit desires, such as eat when the Spirit wants us to fast, sleep all night when the Spirit wants us to pray, watch a you tube clip, when the Spirit wants us to read the Bible, even read the Bible when the Spirit wants us to spend time in our prayer closet worshipping the Lord and praying in the Spirit.
The flesh has no power after its crucifixion, burial, and resurrection with Christ.
It is dead, and a new creature has assumed its place.
These are just some of some mild examples of sin, missing the mark, that we as Christians are guilty of, whereby we need to forgiven and cleansed of all unrighteousness.
Each of these things is sin, it’s doing what we want, what our flesh wants rather than how the Spirit is leading us.
Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. James 4:17
Thank God as we grow more mature, we yield more and more to the Spirit’s leading in our lives.
Those you refer to as Christians, I call targets for conversion.
As no man can serve two masters, conversion will show them they no longer need to serve sin.
Thank God for the blood of Jesus, that is available to us, when we fall short.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
Amen to that, as it is the first step to starting a walk in the light, the Spirit, and in God.
After confession, a true "turn from" sin will make one an ex-sinner.
After that, baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins will produce an ex-sinner, cleaned and sanctified, and ready for the habitation of the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Who does “us” refer to in this passage?
  • Unbelievers, sinners, lost people?
Yes, as sin shows unbelief.
  • The Apostle John, born again Christians, believers.
No, as they have already gone through the steps outlined in Acts 2:38 from Peter..."...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

I believe Jesus conquered sin while in the flesh, and I believe He gave us all we need to partake in that victory over sin, the flesh, the devil, and death.
Praise and glory to the Savior of all those who will submit to Him.
For those who walk in darkness...utter destruction awaits.

Where your POV true, then there is sin-darkness in God.

Nope, that’s your opinion. Denying what the scriptures so plainly say, isn’t going to change them. You must reconcile all the scriptures that pertain to this subject, and not just “cherry pick” through them, in order promote your doctrine of sinless perfection, whereby you claim our physical body became free from sin at water baptism.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. 1 John 1:7-2:2

John says plainly “our sins“.
  • And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins,

John says that if he or others says that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar.

• If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

No, as they have already gone through the steps outlined in Acts 2:38 from Peter..."...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

So you are claiming John and those he was writing to had not been water baptized, and that “we” and “us” refer to unregenerate sinners and unbelievers?

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Confessing sin, and being forgiving is for believers, born again Christians who have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Unbelievers do not have this promise. For them to be forgiven and saved, they must believe and therefore obey the Gospel, in which they repent, turn to God.

JLB

Back