Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Love of Life In COVID-19 Times

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Hospes

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. (Rev 12:11)

During times of health, wealth, and prosperity I find it easy to ignore thoughts of death. During this time of being bombarded with news of pandemic, it seems to ignore death is almost self-delusional.

What does the scripture command us about a regenerated believer's view of their physical life and death?

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Great verse; one that doesn't get much playtime due to it touching on the unpopular and uncomfortable twin topics of the fear of God and the wrath of God. But since this thread deals with another unpopular and uncomfortable topic, it fits right in!

In regards to death and dieing, just to state the obvious, I think in this passage Jesus is telling us there is a fate worse than physical death. I once heard a pastor say the only thing that will "destroy both soul and body" is unforgiven sin. I thought it a simple and profound statement.

Here's a passage to consider:

Philippians 1:18-26
What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.

Questions I ask myself:
What does Paul see as his "deliverance"? (Recall that Paul wrote this while imprisoned, probably in Rome.) What shame is Paul wanting to avoid? How can Christ be honored in the physical death of Paul or any other believer? Do I have the same ambivalence about living /dying Paul demonstrated? What is so important about living for another's "progress and joy in the faith"? What does "glory in Christ Jesus" mean in this passage and why is it the motivator for Paul to continue to live?

Philippians Chapter One:

Vs. 1-11 Paul's prayer of thanksgiving
Vs. 12-18 Paul's afflictions promote the Gospel
Vs. 19-30 Paul's afflictions exalt the Lord

Just like Paul, no matter what circumstances we find our self in, whether it be good or bad, God needs to be exalted as our first thought needs to be on the preaching of the Gospel to all who will have ears to hear and accept Christ as their Lord and Savior.

To remain in the flesh, meaning life in this body, is to remain living as we present our self as a faithful servant of God that others will see our joy of the Lord even during the times of persecutions as the light of Christ shines through us.

Following God is the most important thing we can possibly do, and make him the most important and first thing in our lives. More than other people, God should always come first.

Back