Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Love others as you love yourself

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is the command from God to us regarding how we are to behave to others.

This assumes we love ourselves and some think we need to learn how to do this before we can love others. But the evidence shows us that we each, in fact, do love ourselves by the standard presented.

That standard does not include liking yourself or others. It doesn’t entail enjoying your company more than anything else. It isn’t to have warm fuzzy feelings when you look in the mirror or think you or others are great. It’s simply to treat others as we treat ourselves.

So let’s think about this. If someone made sure you the rest you needed, made sure you had your favorite clothes and meals, saw to it that all your body needs were met, your emotional needs, your intellectual needs and paid money so that you enjoyed your favorite entertainment now and again, you would feel that they really loved you. And you do that for you. You care for needs and caprices. Jesus would say go and do likewise for others as you can. Pretty clear. How you feel about the recipient is not a part of the equation.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is the command from God to us regarding how we are to behave to others.

This assumes we love ourselves and some think we need to learn how to do this before we can love others. But the evidence shows us that we each, in fact, do love ourselves by the standard presented.
And if you are full of self doubt, self loathing or suicidal? That is a big assumption IMO.

I believe our Lord upped the bar on that one:

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

John 15:12
“This is My commandment, that you love one another,
just as I have loved you.

So the standard is not our own any more, but the Love of Messiah.

Last edited:
And if you are full of self doubt, self loathing or suicidal? That is a big assumption IMO.
None of that means you don’t love yourself by the above description. The opposite of loving is not loathing, it’s indifference. The people you describe care very deeply about themselves. The suicidal person wants the self not to suffer. That’s love. People we love we don’t want to see suffer.

Self loathing is because we love ourselves and are deeply distressed we are the creature we are.

God doesn’t say that we ought to think we’ll of others. He says we ought to, for example, want them not to suffer same as we don’t want to suffer.

Faith Hope and Love each have multiple opposites.

Fear is one of the spiritual opposites of Faith.

Love has hatred as the emotional opposite and indifference as the functional opposite.

I actually had that thought just I clicked it, lol. Multiple aspects.

I believe our Lord upped the bar on that one:

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

John 15:12
“This is My commandment, that you love one another,
just as I have loved you.

So the standard is not our own any more, but the Love of Messiah.
For most christians just loving others as they love themselves would be a big improvement.

Back