Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mark 16:16

Do you believe that Baptism is required for salvation?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
M

Mac0486

All my life I have been taught that baptism has nothing to do with salvation. I have the utmost respect for the ppl who taught me this, and, naturally, I want them to be right. But, as you will note in my signature, I seek the truth. Mark 16:16 NRSV "The one who believes and is baptized will be saved..." Can anyone explain to me how this is not exactly what it would seem from just looking at the surface?

Mac0486,

Great question. :biggrin

“Do you believe that Baptism is required for salvation?†I would have to say no.

First:
When we accept Jesus into our hearts we are “baptized†by the Holy Spirit. The act of baptism is a ritual that Jesus commanded us to do but that ritual is not what saves us…our belief in him is what saves us.

Second:
If baptism was a requirement for salvation then that would mean one is saved by works…that of course is contrary to what the Bible says.

Also consider the following link below to carm.org’s exploration into “Is Baptism Necessary for Salvation?â€Â

Link:
Is Baptism Necessary for Salvation?

No, I don't feel it is. Christ says in John 14:6

JOH 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.[KJV]

Jesus says through me, not through me and baptism. I think baptism is just the first public step of obedience.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Jesus says through me, not through me and baptism. I think baptism is just the first public step of obedience.

Very Good point...if one cannot publicly show obedience then how can they honestly turn their life over to Jesus.

Baptism is how we make our first step of commitment to Christ!

It won't save us, no!

However it is commanded by Christ, preached and practiced by His Apostles so it is necessary.

There have been, and always will be those that are unable to be baptised, God understands. I believe that a refusal to be Baptised is a sign of disobedience and would raise questions concerning the commitment of a person!

Baptism is needed for salvation:

John 3:5: "Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.'"

Mark 16:16: "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

Titus 3:5: "Not by works ... but according to his mercy ... by the washing of regeneration."

Baptism is not needed:

John 5:24: "He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life."

Ephesians 2:8,9: "For by grace are ye saved through faith ... not of works."

John 3:16: "... whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Acts 2:21: "whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

So if I were Christian, I would get baptised just in case it is required.

Quath

Can anyone explain to me how this is not exactly what it would seem from just looking at the surface?

What if it said one who believe and reads the bible? or believes and goes to church? What then, would you suspose those things were part of the saving work of the Lord?

And I would also point out that you merely quoted part of the verse, be sure to always read the entirety of the text you are studing, NEVER read single and suspose a doctrine from that.

What I would ask you is that IF Jesus was saying that water baptism was part of being saved, and one can not be saved without it. Then why is that not a major theme in his teachings, he simply does not refer to it that often at all.

What Jesus does refere to and is said here in this text is FAITH or BELIEVING. That is the opperative word here, as you see by reading the rest of that verse, he says that he who does not believe... not he who is not baptized.

Context is what you need, look at the larger picture and do not presume that you are going learn doctrine from single verses, and especially fractions of verse. In this case you did not ever quote the entire verse.

oh and pay no mind to Quath he is not a believer and his opinion in the matters of faith are worthless.

Funny this thread should be bumped up.... I am about to start a thread concerning the matter of ".... be reconciled to God."

Many believers are unfamiliar with the fact that the tabernacle of God had two curtains through which a priest had to pass.

A man's initial salvation is akin to passing through the first of these curtains, and doing so allows the saved one to come into the Holy Place.

In this holy place are the bread, the lampstand and the incense altar; all of which must be attended to in order that the preist may enter the Holy of Holies, which was the intended goal of coming into God's tabernacle.

In this type we can find a principle for our walk with the Lord, inthat, our walk is for a reason, this being the bringing of us into God and God into us.

Many believers have very little understanding of why they are saved, and if asked most simple say "Because God loves me.", or something similar. But the truth is, yes God loves those He saves, but there is far more to God's plan than just being saved..... God's plan, which is the "full gospel" that Paul preached, is about man becoming one with God in life and nature.... and water baptism is the first step in this aspect of our walk with God regarding His full plan.

Our submission to God in all things is what saves us daily, and water baptism is a declaration we make that we are willing to take this way.

In love,
cj

Most of you know that I certainly believe baptism is necessay for salvation, but there is one thing all of you need to stop saying and believing because it is simply not there:
If baptism was a requirement for salvation then that would mean one is saved by works…that of course is contrary to what the Bible says.
Please do show me where it says that baptism is a work we do to merit salvation. Baptism is the working of God (Col. 2:12) just as is faith (John 6:27-29). So to "throw out baptism as a work" also requires one to "throw out" faith as well; who among you would do that?
  • Does baptism save? Not in and of itself! We must have faith and repentance as well. Simply being baptized will not save you unless you do so through faith that God will save you and forgive your sins. Noah was saved through faith but also the water washed away the wickedness. Peter makes this comparison to our salvation in that we are saved by faith and in baptism our sins are washed away. (I Peter 3:21)
In the N.T. scriptures, baptism ALWAYS precedes salvation in passages where they are mentioned together. You can "pluck out" verse that speak of only faith and salvation and argue against baptism but I can also "pluck out" verses that speak of baptism and salvation with no mention of faith.
  • We must consider that whole matter and not just the one's that fit our beliefs.

Henry said:
Can anyone explain to me how this is not exactly what it would seem from just looking at the surface?

What if it said one who believe and reads the bible? or believes and goes to church? What then, would you suspose those things were part of the saving work of the Lord?

And I would also point out that you merely quoted part of the verse, be sure to always read the entirety of the text you are studing, NEVER read single and suspose a doctrine from that.

What I would ask you is that IF Jesus was saying that water baptism was part of being saved, and one can not be saved without it. Then why is that not a major theme in his teachings, he simply does not refer to it that often at all.

What Jesus does refere to and is said here in this text is FAITH or BELIEVING. That is the opperative word here, as you see by reading the rest of that verse, he says that he who does not believe... not he who is not baptized.

Context is what you need, look at the larger picture and do not presume that you are going learn doctrine from single verses, and especially fractions of verse. In this case you did not ever quote the entire verse.

oh and pay no mind to Quath he is not a believer and his opinion in the matters of faith are worthless.
I put that part of the verse on there because that was what I was conserned with. I've read the whole verse and many verses around it. From what I read the context changes none. But I do apprecitate you trying to make sense of the verse I used. My question was directly about the meaning of that verse. No one else touched on it. And no, if YOU said that one who believes and reads the bible will be saved, I wouldn't take it as fact. If Jesus said, then yes.

Okay, let me comment on Mark 16:16. If you ask "what must I do to be saved?", the verse PLAINLY states believe and be baptized. It does not get any easier than this. If you ask "what must I do to be damned?", then the answer again is simple: believe not.
  • Why doesn't Jesus say and not be baptized? Because faith always precedes baptism. The N.T. is very clear that faith comes before baptism. Jesus knew that if one did not believe in Him that the person would not submit to baptism. However, if one has true faith in Jesus and what He has said, then that person would also be baptized to be saved because Jesus said to.
So you see, this verse is easy to understand. In order to be saved one must have faith and be baptized. Only when we allow our false ideas about baptism does man seek to change the clear meaning of Jesus' words.

Actually there is only one baptism (Eph. 4:5). The only baptism the apostles were authorized to perform was water baptism (Matt. 28:18-20). Jesus is the only one who was ever said to baptize with the HS. So the apostles could only water baptize.

"He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."
Mark 16:16
As the above quote shows, belief, salvation and baptism are all intertwined. To be 'saved' you need to both believe and be baptised.

There are BaptismS of

Moses
Repentence
Faith
Water
Fire
Holy Spirit
Death
Jesus

all of which the writer of Hebrews called:

Hebrews 6
2 Of the doctrine of baptisms

Mark 16 implies 3 classes of people

1) Those who believe and are baptized
2) Those who do not believe
3) Those who believe, but are not baptized

Only categories 1 and 2 are specifically addressed. One cannot logically conclude anything about category 3 from this verse. We must look at other passages.

Romans 10:9 "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

You can see that people in category 3) from Mark 16 are clearly saved by Romans 10:9. Belief and confession in the Lordship of Jesus is the one and only requirement for salvation. We should all be baptized upon being saved, and there is no reason why we should not be baptized barring extreme circumstances outside of our control, but it is not essential to salvation.

And Abraham, how was he saved?

"I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 8:11 N.V.)

Abraham was assured of a place in heaven by Jesus. Was Abraham saved? Jesus said he was. How is this possible?

One explanation is that Abraham was saved because he, "walked in all the light he knew." Others tell us that Abraham was saved because of the works that he did. A third answer is the central teaching of the New Testament: Abraham believed God and God declared him righteous.

Since Jesus had not been born, or died on the cross, the OT Saints were saved in a different way than those who came after the death of Jesus. It would be hard to be baptized in the name of someone as in burial with him and his resurrection if that person had not yet died.

Eve777 said:
Since Jesus had not been born, or died on the cross, the OT Saints were saved in a different way than those who came after the death of Jesus. It would be hard to be baptized in the name of someone as in burial with him and his resurrection if that person had not yet died.

That is why the baptism of Jesus Christ, is the only baptism that counts.
Jesus was baptised for us, not Himself. Once is all that is required. Everything Jesus did was for us, but sadly most people don't believe this. They continue to think that they have to help Jesus out a little by doing something to guarantee their salvation. They just can't accept the fact that Jesus did it all and we cannot add a single thing that will improve on His sacrifice.

Charlotte

Only trust and OBEY

Jesus told the Apostles to go and make disciples and teach those new disciples to obey everything they were commanded.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. (Mat 28:19,20)

Jesus corrected a woman who praised Mary his mother just because she gave birth to him and then declared the blessed people are those who obey God's word.
As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you." He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." (Luke 11:27,28)

We show our love for God by obedience.
If you love me, you will obey what I command. (John 14:15)

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. (John 14:21)

Have you seen him? Has he revealed himself to you. Have you received the Holy Ghost (the spirit) since you believed?

If you have not his sprit you are none of his....God gives his Holy Spirit to those who obey him.....YOu must be born again by the Spirit.

Back