Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mark 16:9

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

rstrats

Does anyone know of a published author who has used Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection which in turn they used - at least in part - to justify the establishment of the first day of the week as a special day for rest and worship?

9 Now, rising in the morning in the first sabbath, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

This is the correct word for word translation from the Original Greek in the New Testament, into English

http://www.concordant.org/version/html.html

Any help ?

Amazing.... God is the author of all things including the New Testament.

How could it be that he is no help for you?
You sought the answer from a Published Author, yet did you have eyes to see...... ?

Grace and Peace to you

Spirit Driven,

re: “How could it be that he is no help for you? You sought the answer from a Published Author, yet did you have eyes to see...... ?â€Â

Apparently not. I wonder if you might explain how the quoting of Mark 16:9 is responsive to my OP?

Does anyone know of a published author who has used Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection which in turn they used - at least in part - to justify the establishment of the first day of the week as a special day for rest and worship?

Scripture tells us the day is a sabbath..... God is the published Author, now I guess the only question we are left to ask, is scripture reffering to the first day of the week ?

That could possibly be.... does not God have the power to do anything, who ever said Sunday was the Sabbath ? tradition?
Here scripture tells us the first Sabbath day he was raised, correctly translated scripture too word for word Greek into English.

Grace and Peace to you

Spirit Driven,

re: “Scripture tells us the day is a sabbath..... God is the published Author, now I guess the only question we are left to ask, is scripture reffering to the first day of the week ? That could possibly be.... does not God have the power to do anything, who ever said Sunday was the Sabbath ? tradition? Here scripture tells us the first Sabbath day he was raised, correctly translated scripture too word for word Greek into English. “

I’m sorry, but I guess I will just have to continue to not understand how your comments are responsive to my OP.

I would hestitate to use any part of Mark from 16:9 onwards in any kind of scholarly argument, as Mark 16:9 to the end of this gospel were added sometime later and do not reflect the writings of the original author. Originally, Mark ended with the women running away when they were afraid. The passages shown in 16:9 onwards are not present in the earliest manuscripts of Mark and the passage about follwers of Jesus picking up snakes and drinking poison and not being harmed somewhat stand out as being alien to the rest of the Markian gospel.

AHIMSA does make a oint, but we are dealing with translations mainly interpreted from the TR. Some things need to taken into consideration, mainly the use of the word "sabbath" in some Bibles.

The word 'sabbath' or sabbaton can mean one of two things:

Strong's Ref. # 4521

Romanized sabbaton
Pronounced sab'-bat-on

of Hebrew origin [HSN7676]; the Sabbath (i.e. Shabbath), or day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension, a se'nnight, i.e. the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications:

KJV--sabbath (day), week.

in order to harmonize with the rest of the Gospel books (since none of the them support a sabbath resurrection) it would be proper for the translators to insert the word "day" for clarity. So, we are looking at [the first day of the interval between two sabbaths].

We do know from other Gospel passages that He reose sometime right after sunset of the first day and sunrise of the same first day.

AHIMSA and vic,

I refer you back to the OP.

Incidentally, vic, what scriptures are you using to support your statement that; “We do know from other Gospel passages that He rose sometime right after sunset of the first day and sunrise of the same first day�

rstrats said:
... I refer you back to the OP.

Incidentally, vic, what scriptures are you using to support your statement that; “We do know from other Gospel passages that He rose sometime right after sunset of the first day and sunrise of the same first day�
Thanks. I am aware of the OP's question. My post, in essence, was a rebuttal to SD's misconseption that the resurrection was on a Sabbath.

Now for your question:

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

vic,

With all due respect, I do not see where Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1 and John 20:1 say anything with regard to the actual day of the resurrection.

Ok, let me bounce your OP back on you.

What day do you believe He was raised

and why are you looking for proof that the first day was changed to the Sabbath.

Also, who said the day was changed in the first place?

vic,

re: “What day do you believe He was raised...â€Â

I don’t know. It could have been either the seventh day or the first day.

re: “...why are you looking for proof that the first day was changed to the Sabbath. “

I’m not. I don’t see how you can get that from the OP. A poster on another forum, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesn’t really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV has it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, first day proponents usually use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: “Quote a published author who has done that.†- I have not yet been able to come up with one, hence my query.

Spirit Driven said:
9 Now, rising in the morning in the first sabbath, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

This is the correct word for word translation from the Original Greek in the New Testament, into English

http://www.concordant.org/version/html.html

Any help ?

Really? Where in the Greek is 'protos' meant to mean 'first Sabbath'? Where in the original Greek is the term 'sabbata used to denote the first day? Where in Mark is it used except to denote the seventh day Sabbath?

rstrats wrote:
[/R]

Samuele Bacchiocchi has a book called From Sabbath to Sunday, given to me by my brother, which I haven’t read yet. It sounds like what you're looking for though.

I still don’t understand the problem here. Much ado about nothing. Rest on the Sabbath, and worship on Sunday. :roll:

unred typo,

re: “Samuele Bacchiocchi has a book called From Sabbath to Sunday, given to me by my brother, which I haven’t read yet. It sounds like what you're looking for though. “

Thanks for the reference. However, I’m afraid that I can not find where he uses Mark 16:9 to place the resurrection on Sunday. Strangely, though, he does reference Matt 28:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1 and John 20:1, none of which mention a resurrection, much less the timing of it.

re: “I still don’t understand the problem here. Much ado about nothing.â€Â

Whether or not a verse can be used to support a doctrinal position is much ado about nothing?

Spirit Driven:
"9 Now, rising in the morning in the first sabbath, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

This is the correct word for word translation from the Original Greek in the New Testament, into English "

GE:
This in fact is the WRONG 'word for word translation from the Original Greek, "anastas de ... efaneh"; it should be, "RISEN, He appeared". A Particple that shows HOW Jesus, "appeared": "AS the Risen (One)". "Anastas" is NO Verb!! It does not tell that Jesus (then) 'rose'. If it did, it would have been a finite, Indicative Verb.

In truth, Mk16:9 implies Jesus had been raised BEFORE He appeared. If it said "rising He appeared", it simply would have told a LIE, because it would have meant that Jesus as He was rising, appeared to Mary, and she would have seen Him -- which of course she DID NOT!

Back