Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Missing the point

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

l'Chante

I often get the feeling that people study the Bible either incorrectly or for the wrong reasons.

By ‘incorrectly’ I mean people get into the details so much that they COMPLETELY miss the bigger picture (which is what God is trying to say to us – the two way conversation). Are we not supposed to read the Bible to get a message from it / learn from it rather then to get wrapped up in all types of debates on who is right and who is wrong? Are we not supposed to get off our buts and try to save souls rather than analyse the Bible to a point where the message is lost?

This what Christian forums are for - to debate and challenge one to the truth. Even non-Christians like the Muslims are snooping around this place in their attempt to "lead us to the truth" ..... :shrug

I believe everyone who comes to this forum comes with a desire to learn something .. :thumbsup

Of course we also need people like you to help us see the bigger picture .... :shades

..... before we get too lost and caught up in endless arguments ! :chin

l'Chante
I understand and agree at times. I suppose it's what one does with the details that either draws one closer to what the text is trying to convey or they get led further astray.

Debates; I believe, can be healthy at times for certain people as they can cause one to dig deeper than they have been taught, or they bring up other perspectives. Where they go awry is when people simply don't know when to simply walk away.

Hi all, this is my very first post. I love debating...but only for the right reasons. It is good to debate, but not to "prove" right or wrong. When we converse back and forth it has the effect of "iron sharpening iron".

I agree with Tina, this is what forums are for. And is precisely why I joined, lol. I hope to be sharpened, and to do the same.

One thing I think you might need to keep in mind, l'Chante, is that WE cannot save people. Nor have WE ever been called to try and do it. I think I understand what you are trying to say, but we do have to remember that words are very powerful. We must understand that what we say is always being looked at by others. And the very fact that we type words onto a screen without knowing who will be seeing them means we must be even more diligent to make sure we are accurately conveying the truth of God.

There can be a problem with debating, however, when we get to the point of saying 'this is exactly what God means by this passage' or 'I know for a fact that God means this'. HOWEVER, that does not mean that the entirety of scripture is up for private interpretation. What it does mean is that WE are fallible, even though born again believers are just that, born again, new creations, we still have a sinful flesh we live inside and a sinful world we reside in. We can have, and often do without knowing, a temptation to believe we 'know it all'. This is where debating helps each other. Not for proving who is right or wrong, but for strengthening each other.

What we must constantly focus on is the "hope" that is before us, "the redemption of our bodies", because once that happens the debates and arguments and fights and disagreements and hate and all things that are not of love, will be destroyed and then there will be no more questions or pride to get in the way of true fellowship with one another and with God.

Until then...

PouringRain,
Odd, I had to approve your post in the AP forum, yet our new user Nathaniel, BTW welcome Nathaniel :) was able to post just fine.

Nathaniel,
Please excuse our site as we're going through some "growing" pains today...

A new member! Hi Nathaniel! Welcome here.

You’re right, words are powerful. And that is why we need to get out there and spread the gospel. If you think about it – it was the last instruction that Jesus gave to His disciples; to spread the gospel and to baptize people.

The point that I’m trying to make, however, is that some people (aw man, I’m going to get slaughtered for saying this) are making an idol out of their religion, rather than having a personal relationship with God. Now put down the hayforks and torches for a moment and think about what I’m saying. Should the focus be on religions, doctrines, denominations and Bible study (to the point where the message gets lost), or should our focus be on God Himself?
If we study the Bible to a point where we are bickering about whether Joseph was Mary betrothed or her father, whether the book of Mark should be before Matthew, or whether Cain’s wife was his sister – we have lost the message. That is the long and the short of it.

The focus should be on God, doing His will, and having a personal relationship with Him.

Yes, you are very correct. People do make an idol of 'religious' activities, and religion itself. The last departing words John had to say in his first letter were, "Keep yourselves from idols". An idol is the 'image' or 'likeness' of something. We can make an idol of speculation, human wisdom, and pride when we try and debate over things that are just not elaborated on in the Word of God.

Paul said, excuse me, the writer of Hebrews said, "Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgement." Now these things he is referring too are very worthy topics of discussion in my book, but he saw the fact that people had a tendency to get "hung up" on them.

In 1 Timothy Paul states, "...remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith." So you see Chante, you are very correct in your thinking, but at the same time, as long as someone is not devoted to these things they are very healthy for topics of simple discussion.

We have to keep in mind that the world is curious sometimes, and the "natural man cannot receive the things of the Spirit" so we have to talk on their level sometimes. Peace, love and the ability to communicate to those around us is important. It should not, however, lead to disputes and fights that eventually end in a broken relationship. It is better to talk about these things, in my opinion, that to sit around shooting the breeze about super bowl commercials. We just have to discern whether or not it is going to far, be humble, take a bow, and let God deal with those who do want to argue.

There is nothing wrong with your question/statement though, in fact, it is needed sometimes to help hold us accountable as to what we are doing with our time. We have to understand, however, that God works in each of us as He see's fit. And if He decides to send this person here, that doesn't mean that He wants to send that person over there with him. Each one of us have a different role, with one common goal. Some grow differently than others and some need to talk about things we would call 'insignificant' just so that they can have questions answered.

God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason...patience is a virtue.

I often get the feeling that people study the Bible either incorrectly or for the wrong reasons.

By ‘incorrectly’ I mean people get into the details so much that they COMPLETELY miss the bigger picture (which is what God is trying to say to us – the two way conversation). Are we not supposed to read the Bible to get a message from it / learn from it rather then to get wrapped up in all types of debates on who is right and who is wrong? Are we not supposed to get off our buts and try to save souls rather than analyse the Bible to a point where the message is lost?

In total agreement. I have to wonder if many who study God's Word realize that HIS word is actually for them and not for them to preach only to others...The first thing I do when I read a verse from scripture, it to see how it will apply directly to me in my life. Thanks for the input
In God's love
Larry

Back