Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Modern Christian Contemporary Music

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
With the improvement of Christian Contemporary music over the past couple of decades, I wonder if we have moved away from sound theology for the sake of catchy music. There are some groups, like MercyMe who seem to be pretty solid in their messages, but there are others. like Hillsong and Jesus Culture, who seem only to prop up and enhance some of the less than biblical messages they accompany in many of the bigger churches that promote the prosperity gospel.

Who are your favorite groups and why?

Doesn't matter who the band is, but what message they bring forth in the words they sing.

Psa 150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
Psa 150:2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Psa 150:3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

With the improvement of Christian Contemporary music over the past couple of decades, I wonder if we have moved away from sound theology for the sake of catchy music. There are some groups, like MercyMe who seem to be pretty solid in their messages, but there are others. like Hillsong and Jesus Culture, who seem only to prop up and enhance some of the less than biblical messages they accompany in many of the bigger churches that promote the prosperity gospel.

Who are your favorite groups and why?
Hi Knotical, long time no see! Good to see you again, and I hope you have been doing well.
My wife now leads worship and she pulls heavily from Pentecostal bands, including Hillsong, Elevation Worship, etc. We use tracks from Multitracks.com and the thing about todays Worshio music is it’s very simple to play, and they keep it that way I think because most musicians can’t learn 3 news songs every week and then come together for a single practice and expect to worship because they are too focused on their notes. Trust me, I personally know this. As a result, these bands keep it simple, and easy to learn. That way the musicians can pick it up quickly and focus on worshipping God during service, and not their notes or chords.

Personally, one of my favorite artists is Kari Jobi, then maybe Elevation.

I like Mercy Me and saw him in concert. They were fantastic. However, his message is a bit Calvinistic for me, but I do appreciate his talent, and his heart.

As far as worship music, I can’t see any song of his being used. Well, maybe one or two, but you’ve got to have talented musicians to pull it off.

If one thinks about it Christian songs, including the Hymnals, are actually scripture set to music.

Hi Knotical, long time no see! Good to see you again, and I hope you have been doing well.
My wife now leads worship and she pulls heavily from Pentecostal bands, including Hillsong, Elevation Worship, etc. We use tracks from Multitracks.com and the thing about todays Worshio music is it’s very simple to play, and they keep it that way I think because most musicians can’t learn 3 news songs every week and then come together for a single practice and expect to worship because they are too focused on their notes. Trust me, I personally know this. As a result, these bands keep it simple, and easy to learn. That way the musicians can pick it up quickly and focus on worshipping God during service, and not their notes or chords.

Personally, one of my favorite artists is Kari Jobi, then maybe Elevation.

I like Mercy Me and saw him in concert. They were fantastic. However, his message is a bit Calvinistic for me, but I do appreciate his talent, and his heart.

As far as worship music, I can’t see any song of his being used. Well, maybe one or two, but you’ve got to have talented musicians to pull it off.
I am rather calvinistic myself. As Jasonc mentioned I quote the WCF a lot. I have a page on Facebook I post the Q&As every day. I do like an eclectic mix of music. My current faves are For Kind and Country, and Crowder (in addition to MercyMe). I do like the music from some other bands, but can't help thinking that the lyrics are either misleading, or simply naive, when it comes to biblical doctrine. One song that comes to mind is by CAIN: Rise Up. It is a nice song, but they clearly are missing the message when it comes to the account of Lazarus.

My roots in Christian music were with worship leaders like Andy Park, Brian Doerksen, David Ruis, Kevin Prosch, Scott Underwood, Danny Daniels, Cindy Rethmeier, and others that were with the Vineyard movement during the 90s.
I just can't seem to get into much else besides that. I know about worship leading, as I was trained by the Vineyard. I can worship the Lord with all kinds of music since it is about Him...but for me, it's just not the same.

I actually like some Hillsong and Jesus Culture songs. I think you can pick the good ones out from the bad and not support the churches behind them.
Theology-wise, Disciple tends to be on point. They lean to a rock/metal style, though, so it's not for everyone.

My favorite band, Relient K, has some good Christian songs that could be used for worship, too. But they don't specialize in that.

I actually don't listen to too much CCM anymore, but Casting Crowns is another solid one

Considering for much of my life my favorite band was Black Sabbath, I think it's a minor miracle that I like any church music! Lol
I have a Strat. I used to play a version of Exalt The Lord that though I thought it displayed God's awesomeness, my pastor and drummer disagreed. Majority ruled! Lol
I think Ozzy would've liked it!

The first song is really nice. I'll listen to the second one in a bit. Punk? The Sex Pistols used to be one of my favorite bands. I was wild and half-crazy.

This is good! I've been so out of touch with everything for so long. Thanks guys, for turning me onto this music.

Oh, here's the one song I was thinking of when I wrote my first post. This song could be easily used as a worship song

It's gonna take a few days to listen to all this. I spend a lot of time playing my guitar and singing. I've got my old passion back, though I could sure use some new influences.
It's looks like I'm gonna get them!

Back