Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Modern Church too structured

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

So I been having this opinion that modern church seems to be way to structured. I don't feel its a good or bad thing however. As a Christian I try to read the Bible every day, and attempt to remain cognizant of its teachings.

I can't shake the feeling tho when the pastor is on the pulpit, that most of the time he is talking about much I care not for. I go to church to learn about God's word. I almost feels like he wasting time. Its not just one church either, it appears to be in a few churchs I've been to. We sing this, we sing that. We congradulate people on this and that.

When things like this become routine it starts to feel vacuous and insincere. What it boils down too is am I wrong for feeling this way, and only want to hear the word of God? I wondered how church was when christianity was budding. :confused:

I fully understand what you are speaking about. It was this insincere and mundane feeling that was partially responsible for me leaving the church in my early 20's. I began to feel I was mouthing the words as I was taught to do but there was no feeling or thought behind them.

Now, after returning to the church, I have a different outlook. I began to understand that I was expecting the church to make me feel a certain way when it was I that was resisting. In other threads I have made this similar statement but I think it holds true here as well. Church is like a marriage. We get out of it what we put into it and more. What I learned about myself is that I had to stop going to church for what I could get from it and start going to church for what I can put into it. I am there give to the Lord my song, my prayer, my worship and not for selfish reasons of things I can get from Him.

When I began to adopt that thought pattern, church was brought into a whole new light for me. There's nothing wrong with structure. It brings consistency, stability, and security.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go to a non denominational church and used to feel the same way. It seemed like there was too little scripture and too much chatter. Then I started to feel challenged by the sermons and got involved in the church and started applying the sermons to my life. Also the worship music that seemed overdone to me started to have greater meaning as we were made to worship.

As a result maybe my theology isn't very nailed down but I am actually applying what I do know to my life. It seems to me that people who are learning a lot but not really applying what they know go off track. They get really quick to call someone else not really christian and they divide from other christians. I'd look for a church that helps you become more like Christ. Not just one that helps your knowledge.

Many Churches do become very mechanical within it's programing that almost seems robotic week to week and leaves out that which is Spiritual to move amongst its members. These are the Laodicea Church that Jesus showed John in Revelation 3:14-22 that they are lukewarm and that Jesus will spew them out of his mouth because of their own self righteousness. They claim to be Gods Church, but lack any Spiritual knowledge of Gods grace or His word. The Pastors sermons are programmed by the Diocese of the denominational Church as to what is allowed to be taught so that all the Pastor has to do is read a piece of paper handed down to him, but not able to even to discern what they read or even answer any questions the congregation might ask of what was spoken during the sermon. These will be the ones who stand before the Lord to only hear His words that he never knew them. God only knows His own by what spirit lives in their heart and if the heart is cold then it has no light of Christ in it.

I also go to a nondenominational church. My pastor preaches/teaches through the bible verse by verse. He always does a great job explaining the historical context and makes it relevant to today. It is structured in that there's praise and worship, then announcements then the message, but none of it feels stagnant. I enter every week excited to be there, not because the pastor or the band are so good, but because I can feel God there.

Hey great responses from everyone.

Its difficult to find a new Church where I am at. American, living in Germany. The teachings are not bad, and I do need to get more involved.

I feel that church should be more of a discussion and fellowship. Not sitting in a pew. When did church become so mechanical? since I moved to Europe from our old church it feels as something is missing. Might just be nostolgia. Just was wondering if anyone else has run into this.

The beauty of modern technology is that you can always find something. There are these forums for the bouncing of ideas and the picking of brains. Also there are a lot of great churches and pastors that release their weekly service as a podcast. These can't replace an actual brick and mortar church, but hopefully they can keep you in the word and in the spirit in the mean time. Good luck.

So I been having this opinion that modern church seems to be way to structured... I can't shake the feeling tho when the pastor is on the pulpit, that most of the time he is talking about much I care not for.

What does church structure have to do with how you feel about the quality of the sermon?

I took structured to mean mechanical and that neither the pastor nor the people were sensing the leading, enlightenment or inspiration of the Holy Spirit. In other words, dead. I always ask myself, first, in this instance, if it is me who is not hearing? In my old Lutheran Church that 15 minute sermon could really challange and inspire me. But later on, not so much. It really helps when the pastor himself believes what he is saying.
Now I am in a non denominational church where I am fed real meat. The Bible teaching is riviting. People grow and are changed here. There is not much that is flashy going on and emotionalism is not encouraged. But it is solid.
It is really hard when you are in an area where there isn't much choice. But like was mentioned, you can get CDs and pod casts of good messages, and you can sit in the back of the church and pray for it. You can get involved and ask God to use you to minister life to these people.

The complaint is that routine things start to seem insincere. But, I don't see much of a connection.

Of course, if a preacher is preaching only to fill a 20-minute slot, then the sermon could be insincere. But, that's not an issue with routine, that's an issue the preacher being insincere. I can't imagine what someone would think is a better alternative than a block of time set aside for a sermon.

I think in (post) modern times, we view structure, order, and hierarchy as inherently stifling and somehow "bad," like it prevents free expression or creativity or something. Proper order, hierarchy, tradition, etc. helps make things run smoothly and can add a bit of beauty to an institution, a service, etc.

I'm no early church historian--I'm very new at this whole Christianity thing--but the NT does seem to provide a basic outline of church authority structures (elders, deacons, teachers, etc.) and basic rules of conduct. The early NT church wasn't some touchy feely free for all (not that emotions and expression didn't matter, of course). Christian life is characterized by a degree of order, within which one finds freedom and liberty. I think its only appropriate that this should apply to church services as well.

The church of the beginning wasn't necessarily like what you see today, and you are totally right in feeling like something is off in church's today. Some pastors even drag things out so much that they teach on one verse/sentence from Scripture each week and try to make an hour long sermon on it, with the next verse/sentence being covered the next week. Jesus never said to be so dull about his words. If God is full of life, then it would be safe to assume that dullness doesn't originate from him. The problem is that Christians have come from such a background of form and tradition, it's all they know. They want to do "church," and so they do what they have been taught, which unforunately is a bunch of man-made rituals. Hopefully in the future churches will start to become a bit more lively and responsive to the variety that God created life with.

That said, "church" was never meant to be just about hearing the word of God. "Church" isn't a building; it's the gathering of the saints. There are a lot of things the saints should be doing when coming together. Speaking God's words/messages is just one of them.

Back