Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

My Christian husband is neglecting me.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

jamjar123

When my husband and I got married we were not believers. We were raised catholic, but we were casual churchgoers.

About a year ago, my husband started reading the Bible and fully immersing himself in the Christian lifestyle. I stayed the same. Since his faith has gotten stronger, I feel really neglected and lonely. He is not interested in the old things anymore, like going out, concerts, watching tv shows together, etc because he feels that these activities do not serve God.

I don't think I ever have a similar level of faith as him, and I am not sure how to keep going forward. I haven't seen any positive changes from him since his switch and I feel like his faith is actually pushing me away from "God". I want to hear some Christian perspectives on how I can get our marriage to be saved. Is he on the right path? Is this what God wants from a Christian husband?

When my husband and I got married we were not believers. We were raised catholic, but we were casual churchgoers.

About a year ago, my husband started reading the Bible and fully immersing himself in the Christian lifestyle. I stayed the same. Since his faith has gotten stronger, I feel really neglected and lonely. He is not interested in the old things anymore, like going out, concerts, watching tv shows together, etc because he feels that these activities do not serve God.

I don't think I ever have a similar level of faith as him, and I am not sure how to keep going forward. I haven't seen any positive changes from him since his switch and I feel like his faith is actually pushing me away from "God". I want to hear some Christian perspectives on how I can get our marriage to be saved. Is he on the right path? Is this what God wants from a Christian husband?
1 Corinthians 7:34 kjv
34. There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

If you begin to grow in the Lord you may understand what he is going through.

Welcome aboard. You are the first newcomer I have started out with this way. Usually we slowly address issues.

Marriage is sometimes stressed by changes. It works both ways. In Christ there is neither male or female. Please relax into being with us here. We are sure for your feeling being cared for.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I see where there would be a lot of unmet expectations here.

People grow and change throughout life. I think this is probably the hardest thing about marriage. Good to you both for hanging in there.

I don't see how watching tv, going to concerts, etc. unless they were like super demonic or bad in some type of way would conflict with Christianity. I guess it all depends what one is watching or going to see. There are Christian concerts and other Christian media out there, too. Perhaps find something you like in that area to meet each other halfway maybe?

I think even when two Christians both marry each other, they may compare their salvation to their spouse's or their faith or perhaps lack thereof. I think there's are normal human behaviors, but we gotta remember that we're all different. Our way to worship God may be different. We can sure sing the same songs, but we don't all have the same heart.

Here is one thing I have also noticed with new believers at times...I know you both perhaps aren't 100% new to a belief in God, but it feels fresh and new to be reborn in Christ. I have known new believers that took things too strict and too far or out of complete context. I've seen it many times and I"m not certain this is how people mean to be, but a new Christian may not always understand the scripture right away and that makes sense because it's new, it's a study, it's a practice, and a routine. Reading the Bible, there's always something new to learn. One could read the same passage again and again and suddenly be hit with a different perspective than the one they held before.

As an example, I invited a friend that didn't believe in God to a college group. I had known them since Jr. high so many years. I felt like with them coming in to a Christian college group, it destroyed our friendship, but it wasn't God's fault - it was how she had interpreted it to be and going to headstrong without understanding what she was saying. We all make mistakes, though, even people that have been Christian for years and years and down the line we might realize, "Wow, that wasn't right..."

But this friend heard a sermon on "Do not judge." It was regarding the not judging of others and how we shouldn't be so quick to judge before examining our own issues first. I think most of us have heard this message before somewhere down the road. She took this message and went headstrong on the fact that it meant, "DON'T JUDGE ME!" and then would snap back with a part of a verse that says "do not judge". I told her that's not the entire context of the verse and shared with her what the verse was saying in it's entirety. She hated that. In her case, I don't think she wanted to hear the truth. Instead, she wanted an excuse to twist the Bible to her own liking. Eventually, we weren't even friends. I would send her a message asking how she was and she'd literally say, "I don't have time for you right now. I'm doing something for my Bible class." It was beyond rude. I hope these days, wherever she is in life that she has turned around and realized what the correct context of the Bible is saying and that she's a believer in God, but there's honestly no way to know.

I've also known some Christians that I like to call "anti-fun" lol. I mean, I'm not talking about someone saying, "We shouldn't watch that show because it has Satanic practices, witchcraft, and the like," because that makes sense for a Christian not to indulge in those things, right? I'm talking about Christians that say, "No TV at all." or, "Cable is evil." type of people. I can see their view point on some of it, but not all content is the same. I remember years ago at our church, when an elder and a deacon stepped up to take over a youth group one of the elders could no longer run, one leader wanted us kids to live a Christian life - to find how that verse applies to us in the real world. I thought it was great. This other elder, would roll their eyes. The deacon one day said, "Maybe we should all go on a mission trip together so you all can see the hard work that goes into it to help build houses or a church and meet Christians that are from a different country and see what ways they worship that is the same or different," and I thought that sounded like a wonderful cultural experience. The elder spoke up and was like, "No, absolutely not." In that church, though, mission trips were mostly the men - usually the women stayed home waiting for their husbands to come back. It was uncommon for a husband and wife to go on a mission trip together. No kids would go, either. They could've been concerned for safety abroad and kids, but...the topic could've been revisited later, but never was.

I would say a Christian is on the right path if they're avoiding things that completely displease God as not to sin. There is such thing as good, clean fun, though and for our mental health shouldn't be ignored. Everyone needs fun sometimes.

Perhaps talk with him and find out what kind of date he'd like to go on or what kind of stuff he'd like to do or something? Find out what his personal boundaries are at this point to know where the line in the sand is drawn?

He sounds a little uptight. Christians have to have fun, you know? I think you should discuss it with him. Be honest and tell him how you feel.

People grow and change throughout life. I think this is probably the hardest thing about marriage. Good to you both for hanging in there.

I don't see how watching tv, going to concerts, etc. unless they were like super demonic or bad in some type of way would conflict with Christianity. I guess it all depends what one is watching or going to see. There are Christian concerts and other Christian media out there, too. Perhaps find something you like in that area to meet each other halfway maybe?

I think even when two Christians both marry each other, they may compare their salvation to their spouse's or their faith or perhaps lack thereof. I think there's are normal human behaviors, but we gotta remember that we're all different. Our way to worship God may be different. We can sure sing the same songs, but we don't all have the same heart.

Here is one thing I have also noticed with new believers at times...I know you both perhaps aren't 100% new to a belief in God, but it feels fresh and new to be reborn in Christ. I have known new believers that took things too strict and too far or out of complete context. I've seen it many times and I"m not certain this is how people mean to be, but a new Christian may not always understand the scripture right away and that makes sense because it's new, it's a study, it's a practice, and a routine. Reading the Bible, there's always something new to learn. One could read the same passage again and again and suddenly be hit with a different perspective than the one they held before.

As an example, I invited a friend that didn't believe in God to a college group. I had known them since Jr. high so many years. I felt like with them coming in to a Christian college group, it destroyed our friendship, but it wasn't God's fault - it was how she had interpreted it to be and going to headstrong without understanding what she was saying. We all make mistakes, though, even people that have been Christian for years and years and down the line we might realize, "Wow, that wasn't right..."

But this friend heard a sermon on "Do not judge." It was regarding the not judging of others and how we shouldn't be so quick to judge before examining our own issues first. I think most of us have heard this message before somewhere down the road. She took this message and went headstrong on the fact that it meant, "DON'T JUDGE ME!" and then would snap back with a part of a verse that says "do not judge". I told her that's not the entire context of the verse and shared with her what the verse was saying in it's entirety. She hated that. In her case, I don't think she wanted to hear the truth. Instead, she wanted an excuse to twist the Bible to her own liking. Eventually, we weren't even friends. I would send her a message asking how she was and she'd literally say, "I don't have time for you right now. I'm doing something for my Bible class." It was beyond rude. I hope these days, wherever she is in life that she has turned around and realized what the correct context of the Bible is saying and that she's a believer in God, but there's honestly no way to know.

I've also known some Christians that I like to call "anti-fun" lol. I mean, I'm not talking about someone saying, "We shouldn't watch that show because it has Satanic practices, witchcraft, and the like," because that makes sense for a Christian not to indulge in those things, right? I'm talking about Christians that say, "No TV at all." or, "Cable is evil." type of people. I can see their view point on some of it, but not all content is the same. I remember years ago at our church, when an elder and a deacon stepped up to take over a youth group one of the elders could no longer run, one leader wanted us kids to live a Christian life - to find how that verse applies to us in the real world. I thought it was great. This other elder, would roll their eyes. The deacon one day said, "Maybe we should all go on a mission trip together so you all can see the hard work that goes into it to help build houses or a church and meet Christians that are from a different country and see what ways they worship that is the same or different," and I thought that sounded like a wonderful cultural experience. The elder spoke up and was like, "No, absolutely not." In that church, though, mission trips were mostly the men - usually the women stayed home waiting for their husbands to come back. It was uncommon for a husband and wife to go on a mission trip together. No kids would go, either. They could've been concerned for safety abroad and kids, but...the topic could've been revisited later, but never was.

I would say a Christian is on the right path if they're avoiding things that completely displease God as not to sin. There is such thing as good, clean fun, though and for our mental health shouldn't be ignored. Everyone needs fun sometimes.

Perhaps talk with him and find out what kind of date he'd like to go on or what kind of stuff he'd like to do or something? Find out what his personal boundaries are at this point to know where the line in the sand is drawn?
Thank you, I have talked to him multiple times, he's very stern about his "beliefs".

He says "He doesn't want to feed the flesh" and I understand if I was asking him to do ungodly things, but I don't believe I am. I just want to have a connection with him by doing the things WE used to do, he has asserted the fact that he doesn't enjoy those things anymore.

I have not stopped having fun, I just do it with friends instead of him. But I miss him, and I guess it makes my heart sad that going forward I will have to find friends or family to do the things I want to do, as he is very selective.

He sounds a little uptight. Christians have to have fun, you know? I think you should discuss it with him. Be honest and tell him how you feel.
I have told him how I feel, in fact, I have tried to have multiple conversations. He just ignores me at this point. I am not even sure if it's God that is speaking to him.

We do face famines in our life. Amos has interesting verses about the real famine we will face. The Old Testament does not present the solution, but the New Covenant does have a supply that is the solution.

eddif

The things of this world hold no interest for me. It could be me like your husband, except my wife died years ago, so it is not a problem. I feel for you and understand. If my wife were still alive it would be dog walks, a drive in the country and a cup of coffee in a cottage café. Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I am a simple soul and content with the little things in life.

Last edited:
Thank you, I have talked to him multiple times, he's very stern about his "beliefs".

He says "He doesn't want to feed the flesh" and I understand if I was asking him to do ungodly things, but I don't believe I am. I just want to have a connection with him by doing the things WE used to do, he has asserted the fact that he doesn't enjoy those things anymore.

I have not stopped having fun, I just do it with friends instead of him. But I miss him, and I guess it makes my heart sad that going forward I will have to find friends or family to do the things I want to do, as he is very selective.

I'm very selective as well, and most of my time is devoted to my calling. I'm also not really wild about most of the movies that come out nowadays, so I guess I bear some similarities with your husband.

The way my wife and I have worked it out is that much of the time she is doing her own thing as I am doing mine, but we still love one another's company whenever we do have time, so we make do with the time we have.

I guess you'd have to try and focus on seeing if you can't still find some quality time for each other. So long as you have that, and you can find ways to be happy spending time with others a lot of the time, it's just a change in your lifestyles is all, and doesn't have to amount to anything more than that.

All that said, if you were to take an interest in the things he is interested in now, it would likely solve your problems in a hurry. But you'd have to be genuinely interested. He will pick up on it if you are feigning interest just to make him happy.

He just ignores me at this point. I am not even sure if it's God that is speaking to him.

If you are not sure if it is God speaking to him and you also feel that this may be somehow pushing you away from God...then take two steps back and remember that, his God is your God. Jesus is in your Bible too.

So the obvious solution to me is to lay this problem at the feet of the Lord and ask Him to help you with your marriage and this present difficulty. In short, take it to the Lord in prayer. If God is coming in between you and hubby then go ask God what it is all about. He'll tell you.

Maybe the Lord is testing your endurance?

Maybe try watching “the Chosen” together as a way of reconnecting with the intimacy with him.

JLB

The husband might have realized that he is the spiritual leader of the home and that can be a difficult task depending on the circumstances. If he is early 30"s then he is at the age where he knows it all, but he may have come to the realization that he does not! So he may be under a bit of pressure in himself.

If he has had a big change in his life then he may have good instincts about former things. You could be a supportive wife and find some new activities to do together. People grow, life goes on. The former things are passed away.

Hi jamjar123 and welcome to CF :wave2

I see that since your husband has found his relationship with Jesus that it has also brought him to certain convictions realizing that the lifestyle he was living was feeding the desires of the flesh and now wants his lifestyle to be pleasing to the Lord and that you have to give him. Have you ever thought of sitting with him reading the Bible together?

Sometimes when one becomes a Christian they become over zealous and forget that they also need fun activities in their life, especially giving attention to their spouse finding common grounds on things they can enjoy doing together. The problem is that the both of you are on different faith levels and he started reading and studying the Bible building up his faith in God where it seems, and correct me if I am wrong, you do not study the Bible like he is doing.

My advice would be that you both find a church or a Bible study group to get involved in so you both can grow in the Lord together. Maybe both of you make a list of things you enjoy doing together and find some common ground in those things as not everything is worldly. Your husband is growing in faith learning more about Jesus where you are just coasting along not building up your faith in Jesus learning His ways that we are to walk in. It also might be helpful to get some Christian counseling as you will have a mediator that will sit and listen to the both of you not taking sides, but to help the both of you with your marriage.

I will keep both of you in my prayers.

I hope this helps maam:
What can help to improve a marriage?
(1) Studying God’s Word together regularly and praying to God for help in resolving problems.—2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Prov. 3:5, 6; Phil. 4:6, 7.
(2) Appreciating the principle of headship. This puts a heavy responsibility on the husband. (1 Cor. 11:3; Eph. 5:25-33; Col. 3:19) It also calls for earnest effort on the part of the wife.—Eph. 5:22-24, 33; Col. 3:18; 1 Pet. 3:1-6.
(3) Confining sexual interest to one’s mate. (Prov. 5:15-21; Heb. 13:4) Loving concern for the needs of one’s mate can help to safeguard that one against temptation to wrongdoing.—1 Cor. 7:2-5.
(4) Speaking in a kindly, considerate manner to each other; avoiding outbursts of anger, nagging, and harsh critical remarks.—Eph. 4:31, 32; Prov. 15:1; 20:3; 21:9; 31:26, 28.
(5) Being industrious and dependable in caring for the family’s dwelling place and clothing, also in preparing wholesome meals.—Titus 2:4, 5; Prov. 31:10-31.
(6) Humbly applying Bible counsel whether you feel that the other one is doing everything he should or not.—Rom. 14:12; 1 Pet. 3:1, 2.
(7) Giving attention to the development of personal spiritual qualities.—1 Pet. 3:3-6; Col. 3:12-14; Gal. 5:22, 23.
(8) Providing needed love, training, and discipline for the children, if there are any.—Titus 2:4; Eph. 6:4; Prov. 13:24; 29:15.

Have you told this to him?

I understand his concern about not wanting to feed the flesh, and I can see how it would be frustrating to suddenly be able to do everything to together and then feeling like you're doing nothing together.

I think meeting each other halfway would be a good way and spending quality time together, while not compromising his current beliefs. Perhaps Christian forms of entertainment might be a great way to do this? There are a lot of great Christian movies out there, games, concerts, and such. Would that be doable, at least to start?

I think you've had some great advice already. Perhaps show him this thread and have a deeper discussion? It seems you both need to compromise here. People do go on different paths and that is fine but when you are married you are one and that means compromise. Perhaps if he looks through this thread he can consider the advice given and through trial and error you guys can find your new normal? I think Christian forms of fun like TV shows, concerts etc is a good place to start but you both need to simply listen to each others feelings too. You both love each other that is why you married so surely you want the other to be happy? When we go onto new paths sometimes we have to find a new normal and that's okay. Change is a part of life.

As other have suggested, having a deep conversation with your husband to discuss your concerns and needs would be the right start. If he ignores you again then you need to address this as well-- that his behaviour is causing you a lot of grief and heartache. The more open and honest you are about your thoughts and feelings, the more he will grasp what you are going through.

There are several fun activities you could do together as a couple and still grow together in your faith. The idea is to reach a healthy compromise. Praying for you and your husband.

There is a book about love languages. I believe there are 5. It is not horriscope or anything of that nature. There is a fast quiz online that can help. Find out what his is and what yours is and talk and go from there.

Why not ask the pastor of the church he attends for some counseling. He probably needs some input on what God expects of him as a husband because you ought to feel more loved.

So the question is whether he’s really following Jesus or just getting religious. The former will make him more loving the latter less.

Back