Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Need some computer help

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
Problem with shortcut. The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Wentling - Shortcut.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available and then try again.

I moved this disk from My Documents to the Desktop to burn a CD. After burning it I deleted the shortcut from the Desktop and it also deleted it out of My Documents.

The target location: ancestry

The Target is C:Users\Debra\Documents\ancestry\Wentling

It says the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct

Is there anyway to change the path so the disk will open?

Not sure if I understand the problem correctly. When you look at the shortcut's ->properties ->Shortcut tab is the "Target:" textbox not editable? It should be. If you are not logged in as an admin then you will be required to provide an admin password to complete the path change.

Not sure if I understand the problem correctly. When you look at the shortcut's ->properties ->Shortcut tab is the "Target:" textbox not editable? It should be. If you are not logged in as an admin then you will be required to provide an admin password to complete the path change.
I can highlight the Target textbox but how can I edit it. There is no place to edit and when I bring up the box and when I click on advanced it will not highlight so I can check the box administartor

Under shortcut

Target type: File folder
Target location: ancestry
Target: C:\Users\Debra\Documents\ancestry\Wentling

Under General and Details neither one will open I get a message:
The name 'C:\Users\Debra\Documents\ancestry\Wentling' specified in the Target box in not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

Another problem I am having is when I try to open my pics in My Documents it says "invalid value for registry"

I was able to duplicate the messages on a test file on my computer.

I was able to do either of the following in order for the shortcut to work again:
1) Type the valid path that actually contains the file into the "Target:" textbox and hit enter.
-OR-
2) Transfer or copy the file to the folder(path) shown in the "Target;" textbox

I don't know why you weren't able to change the path in the Target textbox so long as it was a valid/existing path containing the file. Seems odd though.

As far as the registry not having a valid value in one of it's entries, I don't think I can help you with that. Sounds scarey! The registry is gigantic and contains countless entries. Sorry!;)

That's my problem as I don't have a valid /existing path that contains the file. When I sent the file to desktop shortcut I burned a CD from it and then deleted the desktop Icon for it. Usually it stays in My Documents when I send it to desktop, but it was all deleted leaving no file on my computer.

It's all messed up and feel I have lost it forever, so sad.

I will try and figure out the registry thing. Thanks for your help.

Another problem I am having is when I try to open my pics in My Documents it says "invalid value for registry"
If I remember correctly, My Documents is really sort of a shell. For example, My Documents can exist anywhere on your computer or in the Cloud and because of this, it’s location is tracked in the registry.

This gives Windows the flexibility for the user to always have My Documents shown in the same directory order regardless where the file actually resides. This is most useful when Microsoft’s OneDrive is incorporated into a users profile and integrated with My Documents.

My assumption is this. When you moved your documents / pictures to the desktop, your registry for My Documents/ pictures is still pointing to your user profile.

You may need to restore your deleted picture folder back to your profile. First, traverse to c:\users\deb\documents and see if you see a picture folder. If not, either create one or if you can restore your pictures that would be better. Same goes for your missing ancestry file. You need to copy it back to where your shortcut is pointing to.

If your picture folder is there, then you’ll need to edit your registry to point to its current location. But first we need to know where the registry is pointing to, and why it’s different than your physical file location.

I got my pics to open when I click on them that I have saved in my document files, but yet no luck in setting a new path for the CD to open as the file no longer exist on my computer after I deleted it. I'm not very techy

For-His-Glory, are you sure that you didn't accidentally delete the program?

Check in your recycle bin.

If that doesn't work, give System Restore a try.

I got my pics to open when I click on them that I have saved in my document files, but yet no luck in setting a new path for the CD to open as the file no longer exist on my computer after I deleted it. I'm not very techy
It's not that difficult to fix, if I understand the issue correctly. But you said that you "moved the disk" from Documents to Desktop - I assume you mean that you moved the FOLDER?

So here is how it works: when you MOVE a folder, it copies that folder to the new location, and then deletes the folder in the old location. This is why the folder in Documents no longer exists. But I assume that your burn to CD was successful, so the folder still exists on CD.

But now the shortcut is pointing to the wrong location. So, it begs the question what are you trying to do? Are you wanting a shortcut on your desktop to point to the folder that is now on CD? If so, you have to create another shortcut on the desktop pointing to the folder on the CD.

For-His-Glory, are you sure that you didn't accidentally delete the program?

Check in your recycle bin.

If that doesn't work, give System Restore a try.
Thanks Vince. I tried that, but I can't restore the system that far back. It's been over a year since I deleted that file.

It's not that difficult to fix, if I understand the issue correctly. But you said that you "moved the disk" from Documents to Desktop - I assume you mean that you moved the FOLDER?

So here is how it works: when you MOVE a folder, it copies that folder to the new location, and then deletes the folder in the old location. This is why the folder in Documents no longer exists. But I assume that your burn to CD was successful, so the folder still exists on CD.

But now the shortcut is pointing to the wrong location. So, it begs the question what are you trying to do? Are you wanting a shortcut on your desktop to point to the folder that is now on CD? If so, you have to create another shortcut on the desktop pointing to the folder on the CD.
Yes, I moved the file from my documents to the Desktop and after burning a CD from it I deleted it from the desktop not realizing it was no longer in My Documents.

When I try to open the CD I get this message:
The name 'C:\Users\Debra\Documents\ancestry\Wentling' specified in the Target box in not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

Without the file no longer being in my computer how can the path and file name be corrected?

for-His-glory, Have you considered creating a new shortcut by right-clicking somewhere on the desktop and choosing "New" -> "Shortcut" and then browsing your way to the correct path (be it CD or hard drive)?

for-His-glory, Have you considered creating a new shortcut by right-clicking somewhere on the desktop and choosing "New" -> "Shortcut" and then browsing your way to the correct path (be it CD or hard drive)?
The path nor any files no longer exist in order to try and trace it as I deleted the shortcut after I burned the CD.

The path nor any files no longer exist in order to try and trace it as I deleted the shortcut after I burned the CD.
The new shortcut has to point to the CD, not your documents. Are you saying those files don't exist anywhere, including the CD? If the files exist on the CD, then copy them back to the documents folder.

The new shortcut has to point to the CD, not your documents. Are you saying those files don't exist anywhere, including the CD? If the files exist on the CD, then copy them back to the documents folder.
The files do not exist anywhere including the CD.

The files do not exist anywhere including the CD.
Ok, I had the idea that your burn included the folder in question. Then if you only copied the shortcut to burn before deleting everything, then all is lost. Have you tried restoring the files from your recycle bin?

Ok, I had the idea that your burn included the folder in question. Then if you only copied the shortcut to burn before deleting everything, then all is lost. Have you tried restoring the files from your recycle bin?
This all happened in 2018 as I haven't used the disc since I burned the last CD and after moving the file to the desktop then deleting it there is no trace of it anymore. I fear I lost it all, but still have the ancestry part, but lost a lot of old pics. Back to ancestry.com

This all happened in 2018 as I haven't used the disc since I burned the last CD and after moving the file to the desktop then deleting it there is no trace of it anymore. I fear I lost it all, but still have the ancestry part, but lost a lot of old pics. Back to ancestry.com
I see, yes, it looks like you lost it. When this kind of thing happens, it makes you want to test your backup to make sure you did it correctly. Whenever I backup folders I never move them first.

Back