Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Obeying The Gospel/The Truth/The Word/Righteousness

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
2 Thess 1:8 "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:"

1 Pet 4:17 "For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?"

Rom 10:16 " But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?"

Rom 2:8 "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,"

Gal 3:1 " O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? "

Gal 5:7 "Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?"

1 Pet 1:22 " Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, [see that ye] love one another with a pure heart fervently: "

1 Pet 3:1 "Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; "

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Rom 6:16 "Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? "

Rom 10:3 "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God."

Acts 10:35 "But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him."

Mt 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Lk 6:47 "Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:"

Jn 3:21 "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

1 Jn 3:10 "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. "

1 Jn 3:7 "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

What does it mean to obey the gospel, obey the truth, obey the word, work or do righteousness?

From the above verses one will be lost for not obeying the gospel/truth/the word/righteousness, for one is either obeying/working the gospel/truth/word/righteousness or one is obeying unrighteousness.

Jn 8:24 "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins."

Lk 13:3,5 " I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

Mt 10:32,33 "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

Mk 16:16 " He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

The gospel/the truth/the word/God's righteouness tells man he must believe, repent, confess and be baptized to be saved. So upon doing these things one is obeying the gospel truth, working righteousness and until one obeys the gospel by doing these things he is obeying unrighteousness, obeying not the truth, obeying not the word. Faith only = not obeying the gospel/the Word, not doing the truth, not working righteousness.

Bottom line of the above is: the gospel IS something which CAN and MUST be OBEYED to be saved.

And Faith cometh by hearing:

Romans 10:17 (KJV)
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

And to faithfully obey him is to keep his commands:

John 14:15 (KJV)
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

He commanded all men repent:

Mark 1:15 (KJV)
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Mark 6:12 (KJV)
12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

And to faithfully obey him is to keep his commands:

John 14:15 (KJV)
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

He commanded all men repent:

Mark 1:15 (KJV)
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Mark 6:12 (KJV)
12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Question rrowell; are you copy / pasting this scripture or typing it out when you quote it?

We are to Confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus:

Romans 10:9-10 (KJV)
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

And on the day the Church was born Peter answered when asked "what shall we do?":

Acts 2:37 (KJV)
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

And Peter said:

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And the result of those who obeyed?:

Acts 2:46-47 (KJV)
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we Love Him, Obey Him, Seek Him, it can be obtained.

Matthew 5:6 (KJV)
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

2 Thess 1:8 "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:"

1 Pet 4:17 "For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?"

Rom 10:16 " But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?"

Rom 2:8 "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,"

Gal 3:1 " O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? "

Gal 5:7 "Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?"

1 Pet 1:22 " Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, [see that ye] love one another with a pure heart fervently: "

1 Pet 3:1 "Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; "

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Rom 6:16 "Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? "

Rom 10:3 "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God."

Acts 10:35 "But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him."

Mt 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Lk 6:47 "Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:"

Jn 3:21 "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

1 Jn 3:10 "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. "

1 Jn 3:7 "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

What does it mean to obey the gospel, obey the truth, obey the word, work or do righteousness?

From the above verses one will be lost for not obeying the gospel/truth/the word/righteousness, for one is either obeying/working the gospel/truth/word/righteousness or one is obeying unrighteousness.

Jn 8:24 "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins."

Lk 13:3,5 " I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

Mt 10:32,33 "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

Mk 16:16 " He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

The gospel/the truth/the word/God's righteouness tells man he must believe, repent, confess and be baptized to be saved. So upon doing these things one is obeying the gospel truth, working righteousness and until one obeys the gospel by doing these things he is obeying unrighteousness, obeying not the truth, obeying not the word. Faith only = not obeying the gospel/the Word, not doing the truth, not working righteousness.

Alot of good verses but I doubt you know what they mean? All obedience of the gospel is by "FAITH" in the "spirit" that is the only "righteousness" man can ever have.

Rom 10:2

For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.:sad

Is it possible some others do not understand he meaning of the passages they submit?

Define: "All obedience of the gospel is by "FAITH" in the "spirit"---."

We continue to get twisted around an axle of an interesting Greek word, "hupakuo", which is far more related to the word "submit". It obviously doesn't demand some kind of work to do, but actually a response and attitude from the heart.

Anyone -- anyone recognize that the root of this word is not work? Anyone recognize what the stem of this word is?

Now granted, there are ways of using this word to indicate what it produces -- and what it produces is often action. No denial there. But the word itself -- the word itself focuses much more on a word like "submit", or with a much larger English vocabulary, "heed".

We are to Confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus:

Romans 10:9-10 (KJV)
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

And on the day the Church was born Peter answered when asked "what shall we do?":

Acts 2:37 (KJV)
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

And Peter said:

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And the result of those who obeyed?:

Acts 2:46-47 (KJV)
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Evidently then obeying is not just a change of heart or just some mental persuasion but an action, something done as confessing with the mouth.

Alot of good verses but I doubt you know what they mean? All obedience of the gospel is by "FAITH" in the "spirit" that is the only "righteousness" man can ever have.

Rom 10:2

For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.:sad

The verses mean that to be saved one must obey the gospel, do what the gospel/Christ says, work, submit to God's righteousness. There is no salvation without obeying, doing, working, submitting.

The verses mean that to be saved one must obey the gospel, do what the gospel/Christ says, work, submit to God's righteousness. There is no salvation without obeying, doing, working, submitting.

...and it must be by grace that anything done by a believer that pleases God is done. Salvation is 'not of works' (Ephesians 2.9)

We continue to get twisted around an axle of an interesting Greek word, "hupakuo", which is far more related to the word "submit". It obviously doesn't demand some kind of work to do, but actually a response and attitude from the heart.

Anyone -- anyone recognize that the root of this word is not work? Anyone recognize what the stem of this word is?

Now granted, there are ways of using this word to indicate what it produces -- and what it produces is often action. No denial there. But the word itself -- the word itself focuses much more on a word like "submit", or with a much larger English vocabulary, "heed".

Strong's hypakouō

1) to listen, to harken
a) of one who on the knock at the door comes to listen who it is, (the duty of a porter)
2) to harken to a command
a) to obey, be obedient to, submit to

It has nothing to do with just an attitude or mental persuasion and doing nothing at all.

From Thayer:

2. to harken to a commnd, i.e, to obey, be obedient unto, submit to..obeyed to go out i.e., went out obediently, Heb xi:8.

Heb 11:8 "By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed [hypakouō]; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. "

Abraham's obedience hypakouō was the work, the doing of going out. Abraham was not just mentally persuaded to leave but actually did the work of leaving. Just thinking about going out is the same as not going out and would be disobedient to what God said to him to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and it must be by grace that anything done by a believer that pleases God is done. Salvation is 'not of works' (Ephesians 2.9)

The opening post contains many verses that shows that not obeying, not doing, not working, not submitting leaves one lost. So salvation is by obedient works and not by works of merit of Eph 2:9.

Back