Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Oil Rig Disaster Could Destroy World's Oceans

rwbovee

Here's a link to a great article by an oil rig engineer: http://pesn.com/2010/05/02/9501643_Moth ... hs_oceans/ It sounds like this rig was trying to drill very deep into the largest oil reservoir in the world. This was new technology that had never been done before. They hit a vein so powerful and high pressure it blew out the wellhead and flipped over the whole huge oil platform. That now remains 5,000 feet under the water, blocking us from getting to the wellhead. It could take months or even years to just get the oil rig removed, while an estimated 50,000 barrels of oil a day is shooting like a high pressure firehose out of a five foot wide hole (actually a couple more now). Just one quart of motor oil can make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to all wildlife. According to this engineer there's no way we can ever stop this and it will eventually kill off the entirety of the world's oceans. This sounds like Revelation 8:11 "And the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter." Is there any doubt we're living in the last days?

Well you just scared me to death, but anyway, what did they do, when other oil drilling went wrong and sprung leaks ? And as for Revelation 8:11, you have a valid point, but only God knows for sure.

Well, there goes the myth that we're running out of oil.

Gee, I wonder if anyone who is supposed to be working on improving the economy will see a correlation between higher gas prices and a lousy economy.

As for this particular oil spill destroying the world's ocean...maybe. We'll see.

This sounds like Revelation 8:11 "And the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter." Is there any doubt we're living in the last days?[/b][/quote]

I have been following this disaster since the beginning. I agree that something has to be done
as soon as possible. Once the well head is capped off, then the tremendous job of cleanup begins.
Lousiana will probably never be the same again. Most likely, the entire Gulf region will suffer from
this for a long time and may never pull out of this. If they don't get this fixed soon, the economy
of the entire Gulf area will be ruined until the end times.

I have a question about Revelation 8:11. I agree with what the Bible teaches about end times.
That is why I use the name ENDTIMER. I am a pre-trib believer. Isn't Revelation 8:11 referring to
one of the events of the Tribulation period? The Rapture hasn't occured yet, so how can one of the
disasters of the seven year Tribulation be happening? Or did I interpret this wrong? I do think that we
are definitely in the end times, and I am actually very happy for that, but I think we aren't quite there yet.

:help :study

I believe what the bible says about the end times as well. However, I also don't think that God exactly gave us a "time-line" of events. He gave us a multitude of signs, as well as some pretty dire warnings and also encouraging exhortations. However, He cloaked a lot of what He revealed to us about the end days in symbolism and subtleties. My own humble opinion is that it's a mistake to try to make crystal clear what God Himself kept obscure.

I've always been a little leery of locking myself into one eschatological theory. I think this is exactly what the Pharisees did about the coming of the Messiah. When when Jesus didn't fit all of their preconceived judgments, which they got by pouring over all the prophesies regarding the Messiah, then they didn't recognize Him when He came. The Pharisees truly believed that they would recognize the Messiah due to their excellent study of God's word regarding Him. They were wrong. I know a lot of very sincere folks who are totally devoted to one eschatological mindset, some are pre-trib, some reject the idea of a rapture altogether, all are basing their opinions by their earnest study of God's word, and yet a whole lot of folks have to be wrong because we have some opposing thoughts out there. Rather than trying to hammer out all the subtleties of end-time prophesies, I think it's best to be alert, watchful and busy doing the Lord's work.

We don't want to get this thread derailed into a general pre/post/a millennial discussion, as its specifically about the oil spill. I am putting this particular disaster in the "watch" file as perhaps one of the groaning pains. If it develops into the kind of worldwide disaster that having a third of the waters of the world be bitter, well then, we know we're within what the Bible refers to as the tribulation.

Are we living in the last days? I think we are. And, I think this generation has a lot more reason to believe that we are in the last days, than previous generations who thought they were did. So, be watchful, be aware and be busy.

And, as long as we're talking about oil, be sure to keep some in your lamp folks! ;)

handy said:
I believe what the bible says about the end times as well. However, I also don't think that God exactly gave us a "time-line" of events. He gave us a multitude of signs, as well as some pretty dire warnings and also encouraging exhortations. However, He cloaked a lot of what He revealed to us about the end days in symbolism and subtleties. My own humble opinion is that it's a mistake to try to make crystal clear what God Himself kept obscure.

I've always been a little leery of locking myself into one eschatological theory. I think this is exactly what the Pharisees did about the coming of the Messiah. When when Jesus didn't fit all of their preconceived judgments, which they got by pouring over all the prophesies regarding the Messiah, then they didn't recognize Him when He came. The Pharisees truly believed that they would recognize the Messiah due to their excellent study of God's word regarding Him. They were wrong. I know a lot of very sincere folks who are totally devoted to one eschatological mindset, some are pre-trib, some reject the idea of a rapture altogether, all are basing their opinions by their earnest study of God's word, and yet a whole lot of folks have to be wrong because we have some opposing thoughts out there. Rather than trying to hammer out all the subtleties of end-time prophesies, I think it's best to be alert, watchful and busy doing the Lord's work.

We don't want to get this thread derailed into a general pre/post/a millennial discussion, as its specifically about the oil spill. I am putting this particular disaster in the "watch" file as perhaps one of the groaning pains. If it develops into the kind of worldwide disaster that having a third of the waters of the world be bitter, well then, we know we're within what the Bible refers to as the tribulation.

Are we living in the last days? I think we are. And, I think this generation has a lot more reason to believe that we are in the last days, than previous generations who thought they were did. So, be watchful, be aware and be busy.

And, as long as we're talking about oil, be sure to keep some in your lamp folks! ;)

Good post. :clap

Great post, Dora. :thumb :thumb I try not to paint myself into end times corners anymore either. But I do believe every day, we are one day closer to His return. :amen

And, as long as we're talking about oil, be sure to keep some in your lamp folks!
Yes! It's time for a song!

Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning
(Hot Tuna version)

Well mother, don't you stop prayin'
Father, keep right on prayin'
Don't you-stop prayin', for this old world is almost done

Keep your lamps trimmed and burning
For this old world is almost done

Brother, don't you stop prayin'
Sister, keep right on prayin'
Don't you-stop prayin', for this old world is almost done

Keep our lamps trimmed and burning

For our race is almost run

handy said:

I would not, and could not, have said this better. I spent a lot of time defending my amillenial understanding without saying opposing points of view were wrong. Your comparison to the pharisees' expectations for the messiah is terrific. :thumb I don't get wrapped around the axle with "signs" and rarely go into the End Times forum. I believe the end is coming soon, but likely every other generation has thought so as well and felt they had good reason to. I try to stay the course until my time or His time comes, whichever comes first.

This is a fascinating event happening with the oil, regardless. The article is wild.

Watched a news piece on this last night. Wow. Looks like it's hitting Louisiana, Mississipi and Florida pretty hard. I'm not surprised Obama himself went down there, but I'm beginning to understand the full extent of this environmentally and why SWAT was called in.
Like the economy needs this.

The report was on Lateline: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/.

I do not in any way want this to be a debate or sound like one, I don't believe it is rev 8:11, that will come in time. I do believe we are in the end times. My point is and only is.. how fast and unexpected these kind of things can happen. Every thing from this huge oil leak which is still leaking to a meteor strike. Its like the story of Damascus in the bible " you go to sleep at night and by morning you are no more.. I do believe I hear hoof beats..... :pray

jasoncran said:
7ruth said:
Its going to start affecting my fishing pretty soon :bigfrown
try the whole flippin economy of florida as we depend on tourism for taxes.

Yeah thats true. My friend was telling me this morning that he and his dad were going to go on some big expensive fishing charter in florida, but they cancled it because of the oil spill.

So what do you have to say for yourself Mr. BP chief executive ? What's that you say ? Pull my foot out so you can sit down. Oh yeah I forgot it was in there. Well you are going to have to spray my size 10 foot and leg, with some of your oil, because it does not want to come out. What's that you say, I kicked your teeth out from the back, and you have a leather boot taste in your mouth, I am so sorry, I don't know what came over me.

Oil giant BP insists it isn't to blame for the massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill, but will pay to clean it up anyway.

"We are responsible, not for the accident, but we are responsible for the oil and for dealing with it and cleaning the situation up," BP CEO Tony Hayward said Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

He said the company would pay for any "legitimate and objectively verifiable" claims for property damage, personal injury and commercial losses.

The equipment that failed - leading to an explosion that killed 11 workers on April 20 - belongs to Transocean Ltd., which operated the rig, he said.

Transocean spokesman Guy Cantwell said the company "will await all the facts before drawing conclusions and we will not speculate."

BP shares dropped 6.4% to $48.84 in U.S. trading Monday.

The cause of the explosion has not been determined and a board made up of Coast Guard and U.S. Minerals and Management Service officials is investigating.

About 2.6 million gallons of oil have spilled into the Gulf of Mexico since the blast, based on the Coast Guard's estimate that 200,000 gallons a day are hemorrhaging into the waters off the coasts of Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi and Alabama.

If the oil keeps flowing for months as expected, this disaster is on track to surpass the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster, which dumped 11 million gallons off the Alaska coast.

President Obama visited Louisiana on Sunday and made it clear that the federal government would help, but was not to blame.

"Let me be clear: BP is responsible for this leak," Obama said. "BP will be paying the bill."

In Florida, Gov. Charlie Crist welcomed BP's offer to pay, saying "we'll be more than happy to send them the bill."

Dana Powell, manager of the Paradise Inn in Pensacola Beach, Fla., have feared what will happen to the Gulf Coast's staple industries such as tourism and commercial fishing.

"Now when there's a hurricane, we know it's going to level things, devastate things, be a huge mess and it's going to take several years to clean up," she said. "But this? It's going to kill the wildlife, it's going to kill lifestyles - the shrimpers, the fishermen, tourism. Who's going to come to an oil-covered beach?"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z0myNLJaxS

The curtain will not fall one second before or after Gods appointed time.
When that time comes, nothing man can do is going to stop it.
Therefore there is no reason to worry about this causing the end of the world.
If its in Gods plan, then it is, we have nothing to fear.
If its not, then it wont be the end.

"Transocean spokesman Guy Cantwell said the company "will await all the facts before drawing conclusions and we will not speculate."
Translation : "We're going to sit back and do pretty much nothing while the rest of the world actually does something to fix our mess because we know if we DO do something its an admission of guilt on our part"

I wonder if Sarah Palin will keep on with the Drill baby Drill speeches. Obama made a huge mistake in opening up even more land for offshore drilling. We need to go to clean energy, and stop destroying the earth, while at the same time funding terrorists.

happyjoy said:
I wonder if Sarah Palin will keep on with the Drill baby Drill speeches. Obama made a huge mistake in opening up even more land for offshore drilling. We need to go to clean energy, and stop destroying the earth, while at the same time funding terrorists.
that was an old rig if i recall not even an american run one. it had foriegn contractor doing work for bp!

russia is drilling of the flipping keys.
how long will it take to get this clean energy. like this snap a law passed and its done. i dont think so. i hate that we rely on oil but its one of the ways we get energy till something else can be done on that scale. nuclear technology is a way but that takes a while to build a reactor.

i live within 20 miles of a plant(two reactors). nothing ever heard from there about problems. in fact you get more radiation exposure from uv radation then the uranium 235 exposure.

Back