Christian Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• We stand with Ukraine. Please consider supporting Ukraine through a qualified organization.
  • Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Open to all - College chat thread

wondering

CF Ambassador
From
Italy
My advice is study hard, the college/university careers shape being and lifestyle.
Do you think college could turn a person into an atheist? This is what many believe.

If you do, why?

I think it might be because students are made to choose between science and faith. Not sure.

D-D-W

2022 Supporter
From
Maryland
Do you think college could turn a person into an atheist? This is what many believe.
If you do, why?
I think it might be because students are made to choose between science and faith. Not sure.
While it did not turn me into an atheist, a friend of mine who was planning on becoming a pastor DID lose his faith completely his freshman year at a state university.

IMO there is such a diversity of perspectives, and the preponderance of the "scientific method" that unless one's faith is truly firm and established, those things will cause a young person to drift and possibly lose faith entirely.

T. E. Smith

Romantic Rationalist
From
USA
Do you think college could turn a person into an atheist?
Ken Ham turned me into an atheist*, because:
I think it might be because students are made to choose between science and faith.
He is always talking about "God's word or man's word."

Christianity needs isolation to thrive.

*Partly, there were many other factors. But he helped me realize that I couldn't be a Christian and embrace modern science.

WIP

Staff member
From
Central Minnesota, USA
Christian
Yes
While it did not turn me into an atheist, a friend of mine who was planning on becoming a pastor DID lose his faith completely his freshman year at a state university.

IMO there is such a diversity of perspectives, and the preponderance of the "scientific method" that unless one's faith is truly firm and established, those things will cause a young person to drift and possibly lose faith entirely.
I think there's also peer pressure. Hangin' out, parties, etc. and this type of lifestyle can put a lot of pressure on a young adult that is trying to fit in with his/her peers.

WIP

Staff member
From
Central Minnesota, USA
Christian
Yes
*Partly, there were many other factors. But he helped me realize that I couldn't be a Christian and embrace modern science.
I don't agree that one can't be a Christian and simultaneously embrace modern science. God created it but science is only trying to understand and explain the world around us as we see it. I've said it before that we are trying to explain Godly things with human understanding and God's ways are far above our ways.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

1 Corinthians 12:11-12 NKJV

8 "My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Isaiah 55:8-9 NKJV

We may one day understand everything but I doubt it will happen in this life.