Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Jess2002

Hi there,

I have this question for a while now but never had the courage to really ask it on a platform or with other christians (except a few close friends of mine, also christians).

It is a bit a weird question for some, as kissing on the lips is seen (especially in the US) as something romantic, but I have gotten new friends in April whom I love a lot. They're teenagers, I'm more the older 'mom' type of friend in the group and the only christian they know. Two friends (they're sisters/twins) kiss eachother sometimes, just for joking around or to show that they love (as in friendly, family love) each other. One of the twins started to kiss me goodbye since she sees me as a best friend. Now, I am strongly against the whole LGBTQ+ (do not start a discussion with me on that please), I have never had romantic feelings for a girl and will never have and I don't see those kisses as romantic and more like a kind gesture between 'sisters'. I'm very comfortable with fysical touch, i love hugging and I am very close to all my female friends. In my culture it is seen as rather weird in the upper class, while in the lower class it's normal for female friends to hold hands and hug a lot etc. Her kiss is not like french kissing (please that would be disgusting :') ) but more like a peck. My christian friends who know it don't really see it as weird, but I wanted opinions from people who don't know me.

What do you think about it?
I don't see it as a romantic, sexual kiss. I've had my first kiss (a bit forced), but because I didn't really felt comfortable, it never felt special to me so I never made something intimite out of it.
For me it's just a sign of deeply loving each other as friends.
I prayed for it, asked God, my Heavenly Father about it, and I felt like He told me that it is also a difference in cultures. In many cultures, it's a sign of respect towards parents, many grandparents in other countries also do it with grandchildren. In the west, people will look at you weird when you hold hands with a same-sex friend, while I have never seen it as something 'romantic'. In China or Korea for example, it's a very normal thing to do as friends. Here or in the US, everyone already assumes you're either gay or lesbian or bi.

What are your opinions about this?
Kissing with a guy whom I love is something I want to keep for marriage (sadly my ex had a different opinion), and I would never kiss a male friends on the cheek or lips.

Sorry for this long message haha. I'm bad at keeping it short.

I’m a guy, so I don’t know how much of a help I can be. The only person I kiss on the lips is my wife. I couldn’t imagine myself kissing another woman, let alone a man on the mouth. When my Mom and Grandmother were alive, it was common to kiss them on the cheek and I’ve seen other women kiss each other on the cheek as a sign of friendship, and to me that’s ok. But honestly, if I saw two women meet and give a peck on the lips I might think it odd, but not odd enough to make me squirm… unless of course the kiss lingered.

Not sure if my male perspective helps or not. I’ll be as interested in what others think!

I’m a guy, so I don’t know how much of a help I can be. The only person I kiss on the lips is my wife. I couldn’t imagine myself kissing another woman, let alone a man on the mouth. When my Mom and Grandmother were alive, it was common to kiss them on the cheek and I’ve seen other women kiss each other on the cheek as a sign of friendship, and to me that’s ok. But honestly, if I saw two women meet and give a peck on the lips I might think it odd, but not odd enough to make me squirm… unless of course the kiss lingered.

Not sure if my male perspective helps or not. I’ll be as interested in what others think!
I am with Stovebolts except I do kiss our 2-year old granddaughter on the lips once in a while. I'm sure that will come to an end at some point though.

I'm a 68 year old married woman and I have no problem with hugging another woman or a man and maybe a kiss on the cheek when I greet them. I am a hugger, lol. I also see nothing wrong about a quick kiss on the lips, even though personally I would not do that. As far as it is all in friendship I see no problem if two woman would hold hands walking down the street or shopping as it is only a sign of the closeness of the friendship, even though someone will see it differently, but that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

2Corinthians 13:12 Greet one another with an holy kiss.

1Peter 5:14 Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

That whole topic is entirely cultural and there is no real scripture to say one way or the other. Song of Solomon starts out with sexual/romantic kissing, but I am sure that is NOT what Paul or Peter meant when told their readers to greet each other with a kiss. And I am not sure a romantic gesture was what Isaac meant when he told his son on his death bed to kiss him. (Gen 27)

In my meager opinion, I believe that we should save our best for our spouses at home. If we don't have a spouse quite yet, why start something that you will be ending later (should a person reserve such physical touches for their mate). If I were married, I would only be kissing my wife on the lips . . . that is a very reserved type of touching for her only.

Hi there,

I have this question for a while now but never had the courage to really ask it on a platform or with other christians (except a few close friends of mine, also christians).

It is a bit a weird question for some, as kissing on the lips is seen (especially in the US) as something romantic, but I have gotten new friends in April whom I love a lot. They're teenagers, I'm more the older 'mom' type of friend in the group and the only christian they know. Two friends (they're sisters/twins) kiss eachother sometimes, just for joking around or to show that they love (as in friendly, family love) each other. One of the twins started to kiss me goodbye since she sees me as a best friend. Now, I am strongly against the whole LGBTQ+ (do not start a discussion with me on that please), I have never had romantic feelings for a girl and will never have and I don't see those kisses as romantic and more like a kind gesture between 'sisters'. I'm very comfortable with fysical touch, i love hugging and I am very close to all my female friends. In my culture it is seen as rather weird in the upper class, while in the lower class it's normal for female friends to hold hands and hug a lot etc. Her kiss is not like french kissing (please that would be disgusting :') ) but more like a peck. My christian friends who know it don't really see it as weird, but I wanted opinions from people who don't know me.

I don't see it as a romantic, sexual kiss. I've had my first kiss (a bit forced), but because I didn't really felt comfortable, it never felt special to me so I never made something intimite out of it.
I prayed for it, asked God, my Heavenly Father about it, and I felt like He told me that it is also a difference in cultures. In many cultures, it's a sign of respect towards parents, many grandparents in other countries also do it with grandchildren. In the west, people will look at you weird when you hold hands with a same-sex friend, while I have never seen it as something 'romantic'. In China or Korea for example, it's a very normal thing to do as friends. Here or in the US, everyone already assumes you're either gay or lesbian or bi.

Kissing with a guy whom I love is something I want to keep for marriage (sadly my ex had a different opinion), and I would never kiss a male friends on the cheek or lips.

My immediate family don't kiss on the lips. Kiss on the cheek not on the mouth for friends if a kiss is necessary although i don't recall even kissing on the cheek with anyone. I think it is how you are raised.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm not really raised in a household where we kiss a lot. My parents only kiss us on the cheeks. I am more a hugger/someone who loves fyscial contact than anyone else in my family, which is also a reason why I asked the question. My friends (the twins) who kiss me, are raised differently which is also why they kiss each other on the lips and me too, since they see me as a very close (bigger sister) friend. I wanted to keep my first 'kiss' with a male for marriage, but sadly I didn't since my previous boyfriend made a problem out of it. He was a christian but didn't see any reason to keep it. So, kissing with him was rather forced and probably because of that, I never had any 'romantic' or sexual feelings while we kissed (kissing for me is more peck-like, I never wanted to have a 'long' or french kiss thing since that was really a no-go for me). I once kissed my dad, mom and aunt on the lips by accident and I had a friend when i was very little who also accidently kissed me on the lips. As far as I can remember, those kisses never held any romantic feelings nor sexual feelings. I love hugging, holding hands and kissing my female friends on the cheeks and I'm very sad that in the west it is often seen as something sensual/sexual when, to me and my friends, it's not. With someone from the opposite sex though... that's an absolute no. Especially after my last relationship, I'd rather have a guy who doesn't touch me at all until we're married.
Idk of this makes sense though for you.

We are creatures, designed by God. IMO, kissing has been designed to accomplish several functions related to bonding, sexuality, and health. Concerning the health functions of kissing, see hither, thither, & yon. In those links, please notice that kissing can affect health in a bad way, as well as in a good way -- this is especially true of lips to lips kissing.

As to lips to lips kissing from the Biblical standpoint -- by God's design of our autonomic bodily systems (read this) that kind of kissing can cause the onset of sexual arousal. Thus, IMO, a Christian should never kiss the lips of someone (other than one's spouse) when either the kisser or the kissee might be sexually stimulated, or catch a bad germ, or misunderstand the purpose, or be embarrassed.

Hi there,

Hi Jess
Interesting question.

So are we talking precovid or postcovid?

Precovid:
I live in Italy. Everybody kisses, but on the cheek.
Even male/female friends if they haven't seen each other in a while or
they're close friends.

No lip kissing except for our spouse.

Postcovid:
Some are still wearing their mask.
Some are afraid to do the above.
But we'll forget eventually.
I already have...

Just like everything else, it's what the culture accepts as normal.

1671133744632.jpeg

Back