Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Oxford School shooting

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

stovebolts

I’m sure many of you are aware of the school shooting that took place last week. Just so everybody knows, I live about 20 miles from Oxford and as far as high school rivalry goes, Oxford was always a serious contender.

This recent school shooting hits very close to us, and while my family was not directly impacted, we are impacted because people we know have been.

One of my best friends and car buddy has a friend who’s niece was shot and did not survive. Their family is in deep mourning, as to be expected. A friend that is like a sister to my wife knows a school bus driver that drove the boy who committed this horrendous act of violence to school for four years and knew the boy fairly well. He said the boy seemed like a good kid and was very surprised to hear the direction he took.

At church yesterday, a gal we know well and who is part of our small group has three grandchildren who attend Oxford highscool. She has an amazing testimony and for those on Facebook, search NewLife Christian Church Attica Mi and look at yesterday’s service. Directly after worship, she gives her testimony.

One of her granddaughters was in the hallway when the shooting began. She was the ONLY student in the hallway that did not get shot. She curled up on the floor in a ball as the shooter brisked by her. She could feel him walk by.

There was a female student next to her that was shot in the neck and shoulder. She was able to pull her into a room, lock the door and apply pressure to both wounds. She then called the parents of the girl and the first thing she said was, “Your daughter is going to be ok, paramedics are on their way”. She then proceeded to pray.

The girl was taken into ICU and is making a good recovery. We even saw a picture of her sitting up with a smile on her face.

What a hero, and what a testimony of how God is using Christians in this situation.

I don’t do the story justice, so I would encourage you to check out her testimony on our churches Facebook page.

Amen

I’m sure many of you are aware of the school shooting that took place last week. Just so everybody knows, I live about 20 miles from Oxford and as far as high school rivalry goes, Oxford was always a serious contender.

This recent school shooting hits very close to us, and while my family was not directly impacted, we are impacted because people we know have been.

One of my best friends and car buddy has a friend who’s niece was shot and did not survive. Their family is in deep mourning, as to be expected. A friend that is like a sister to my wife knows a school bus driver that drove the boy who committed this horrendous act of violence to school for four years and knew the boy fairly well. He said the boy seemed like a good kid and was very surprised to hear the direction he took.

At church yesterday, a gal we know well and who is part of our small group has three grandchildren who attend Oxford highscool. She has an amazing testimony and for those on Facebook, search NewLife Christian Church Attica Mi and look at yesterday’s service. Directly after worship, she gives her testimony.

One of her granddaughters was in the hallway when the shooting began. She was the ONLY student in the hallway that did not get shot. She curled up on the floor in a ball as the shooter brisked by her. She could feel him walk by.

There was a female student next to her that was shot in the neck and shoulder. She was able to pull her into a room, lock the door and apply pressure to both wounds. She then called the parents of the girl and the first thing she said was, “Your daughter is going to be ok, paramedics are on their way”. She then proceeded to pray.

The girl was taken into ICU and is making a good recovery. We even saw a picture of her sitting up with a smile on her face.

What a hero, and what a testimony of how God is using Christians in this situation.

I don’t do the story justice, so I would encourage you to check out her testimony on our churches Facebook page.

Amen

So very sad and heartbreaking.

JLB

I’ve got to say that the prosecutor in this case has my full support.

I watched her live last week and a lot of her answers were from her heart. She wasn’t fake and gave honest answers.

She did charge the parents, and I fully support that too. It wasn’t a knee jerk reaction. Instead, she took her time and based her actions on the facts of this case. I’m certain the parents will serve prison time for their role in the shooting.

The school administration is another story. They did not break any laws, but all the red flags were there. They should have insisted that the shooter be removed from school that morning when they had the parents in because of his behavior. Considering what they found, they should have searched his backpack.

I’m sure the school system will implement some reforms over this, and I would hate to be part of the school administration that allowed the shooter to go back to class…. What an awful memory to have to live the rest of ones life with.

I hope your community is able to pull together after this and I send my full support to everyone involved. So sad this happened.
I’m watching the local news right now. It’s very possible that school officials “may” be charged with involuntary manslaughter…

This could have been prevented.

Have you been following this?

The school administration is another story. They did not break any laws, but all the red flags were there. They should have insisted that the shooter be removed from school that morning when they had the parents in because of his behavior. Considering what they found, they should have searched his backpack.

I’m sure the school system will implement some reforms over this, and I would hate to be part of the school administration that allowed the shooter to go back to class…. What an awful memory to have to live the rest of ones life with.
The thing about something like this is that, whether intentional or not, we don't always get the full story from the news media so we are not in a position to make judgments like this. Sometimes the "red flags" are not so easily recognized until after the fact.

Here's one example. If we review the news reports from the Kyle Rittenhouse incident and compare them to the actual trial evidence, it is quite clear that the news reports were way off the mark by labeling and/or accusing him without a trial.

Although, not necessarily comparing apples to apples here's another example. My father experienced his first of three heart attacks at the age of 50. Exactly one year later on the same date he experienced his second attack and this time it was much more serious. In fact, at one point while in the hospital his heart stopped and he heard the nurse say, "We lost him, doctor!" He lived another seven years before dying from his third attack.

It wasn't until after my father died that my mother shared the following information.

One week before he died, he insisted on trading their car in for a new one and he was adamant that they also purchase insurance so that if something happened to him the car loan would be paid in full. This is something they never did before.

He was an iron worker and was working on a job in the Mpls-St. Paul area and so he was staying at my sister's in White Bear Lake, a northern suburb of St. Paul. It wasn't until after the fact that my sister realized something that gave her chills. Every morning when he left for work he would say, "See you later." On the day he died my sister recalled that instead of saying, "See you later," he said, "Good bye."

This is terrible, especially so close to where you live and the people you know. There are so many school shootings and the school system needs to step up searching these kids before they enter the building. It's also sad what drives these kids to kill others just randomly. We just had a shooting where I live. The mother shot her very young grade school son because she wanted him to go to heaven. This world is truly waxing worse and worse and I pray for all the families that have lost loved ones during all these malicious shootings.

The thing about something like this is that, whether intentional or not, we don't always get the full story from the news media so we are not in a position to make judgments like this. Sometimes the "red flags" are not so easily recognized until after the fact.

Here's one example. If we review the news reports from the Kyle Rittenhouse incident and compare them to the actual trial evidence, it is quite clear that the news reports were way off the mark by labeling and/or accusing him without a trial.

Although, not necessarily comparing apples to apples here's another example. My father experienced his first of three heart attacks at the age of 50. Exactly one year later on the same date he experienced his second attack and this time it was much more serious. In fact, at one point while in the hospital his heart stopped and he heard the nurse say, "We lost him, doctor!" He lived another seven years before dying from his third attack.

It wasn't until after my father died that my mother shared the following information.

One week before he died, he insisted on trading their car in for a new one and he was adamant that they also purchase insurance so that if something happened to him the car loan would be paid in full. This is something they never did before.

He was an iron worker and was working on a job in the Mpls-St. Paul area and so he was staying at my sister's in White Bear Lake, a northern suburb of St. Paul. It wasn't until after the fact that my sister realized something that gave her chills. Every morning when he left for work he would say, "See you later." On the day he died my sister recalled that instead of saying, "See you later," he said, "Good bye."
Amongst vets .we say .the day of your death .you alone will know .I used to think that was bunk until I noticed the sense of it wasn't my time .I have had close calls a few times

Amongst vets .we say .the day of your death .you alone will know .I used to think that was bunk until I noticed the sense of it wasn't my time .I have had close calls a few times
Looking back it sure seems that my father had some kind of premonition or something, that's for sure.

I’m watching the local news right now. It’s very possible that school officials “may” be charged with involuntary manslaughter…

This could have been prevented.

Have you been following this?
I'm in Indiana south of this. I read some articles, but reading your post made it more personal.

I'm in Indiana south of this. I read some articles, but reading your post made it more personal.
About the only national news I watch on a regular basis is Night Line, but I do watch the local news almost daily. The coverage on the national level is lacking to say the least. I would imagine the Detroit Freepress freep.com would be your best bet for articles.

My wife and I drove through Oxford Friday night and they had the main road closed for a prayer vigil. There were tens of thousands that attended. Anyway, one of the attendees was the granddaughter to a man I have breakfast with most every Saturday and she got trampled at the vigil. Apparently somebody toward the front had some sort of medical emergency and those further back heard somebody shouting, “Run” which caused a stampede. She came out with minor cuts and bruises, a black eye and skin missing from her neck.

My son is 22 and we started him in wrestling at 5 and yes, he wrested a few national tournaments. We knew several wrestlers from Oxford and in high school wrestling, they were a serious contender. Just to throw it out there, aside from high school, he did drop ins with the head coach of Davison and his coach was a wrestler from Davison. This probably doesn’t mean anything to you, but at that time the Davison coach was noted on the national level and his students, including my sons coach all made themselves a name in college wrestling, Metcalf being the best.

All that to say Oxford is about 20 miles away, and that’s not far in terms of country driving. My wife and I have a favorite restaurant in Oxford, and I can’t count how many times my son and I have been in that high school.

I am very impressed with the reporting our local news has been doing. The national news is lacking a lot of detail.

Let’s see how well I remember this. The day before the shooting, the boy was caught looking up ammunition on his phone. The parents were notified and the Moms response to her son was, “Just don’t get caught next time”. Prior to this incident, the police were called to his home for some sort of disturbance.
The morning of the shooting a teacher saw a drawing that he said was for a website, or something to that effect. The picture depicted a gun, bullets, a person being shot with blood splattering and random phrases that I can’t remember them all, except,”blood everywhere, they all die, etc…. I can’t get these thoughts out of my head, help me”.

He was taken to the school counselor and the parents were called. He spent about 90 minutes with the counselor and school staff when they met with the parents. The parents refused to take him home, and the school put him back in class.

Had The parents, or the school checked his backpack. Had either party done this, they would have found the gun.

When the father heard about the school shooting, he immediately went home and found the gun missing, and proceeded to call 911 and say it was his boy who was responsible.

The prosecutor has not filed charges on the school staff yet, which follows suit with how she charged the parents. If she gets enough evidence, she will file.

I am amazed how transparent this prosecutor is.

:salute

When BLM protesters came to Detroit, they got shot with rubber bullets and hit with billy clubs. Detroit police learned something from the Detroit riots from 1967 and they were not going to have a repeat. And yes, Detroit is a democratic city, but they don’t embrace defunding the police etc.

That being said, the Rittenhouse case was part of a national discussion of race. That is a completely different discussion than the national school shooting discussion.

And while the prosecutor for the Oxford school shooting is a democrat, she came out early and clearly stated she is not anti gun and clarified she supports responsible gun ownership. In other words, she’s not going to turn this case into a political discussion, and she basically said this twice.

Back