Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Partakers of His Sufferings and Glory (Rom 8:17)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

netchaplain

It’s just the “old man” (Adamic-sin nature), so don’t let it trouble you (Jn 14:1, 27; Phl 4:6)! Yes, if at times you seem to be bothered, even in a somewhat significant degree and it appears that you are uncertain as to the direct cause of it, just remember that it can always be traced back to the “old man”! You may notice that there doesn’t have to be an apparent problem or difficulty on which you can put your finger, but the feeling that something is not right seems unmistakable.

The saint’s suspicion is valid here, because yes, “there’s something rotten in the state of Denmark”!—it’s the “old man,” and maturing believers, more all the time, notice its workings and presence. Of the three enemies—self, Satan and society, old self, being the closest, is used the most towards causing us to exercise our faith in Christ’s expiation for our sin nature (sins are just evidence of the source, which is the accountable part). You can be encouraged to know, and always remember at times like this, that this response is used by God to exercise our faith for our “good,” by entrusting all to Him at all times, knowing that all is used for your goodness (Ro 8:28; 1Pe 5:7)!
NC

Partakers of His Sufferings and Glory (Rom 8:17)

It is only as we enter into the Lord Jesus’ sufferings here that we desire, apprehend or are prepared for His glory. Everything connected with the old man is contrary to Him, for on account of it He died. If I would enter into the Lord Jesus’ glory I must of necessity die (avoid being too moved by worldliness—NC) to all here which is contrary to Him. His life leads me into His glory, and if it does, it also puts me into the sense of moral death with regard to everything against it.

So that in proportion as I am able to walk here in His sufferings, in the power of His life, the more I am enabled to apprehend and am prepared for His glory. Wherever or howsoever I am enjoying anything contrary to Him so far, I will debar myself from desiring or apprehending His glory.

If I find everything here as antagonistic as He felt it, the glory is my resource, and as I feel I am a co-sufferer with Him, I am also to be so-crucified with Him; and this light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us in surpassing measure an eternal weight of glory (2Co 4:17)!

The beauty and brightness of “the glory of God in the face of the Lord Jesus Christ” (2Co 4:6) does not move those who are not suffering with Him, and this explains why many who feel their need of Him, have very feeble desires or apprehension of His glory. If I am enjoying what the Lord Jesus cannot enjoy, how can I truly enjoy what He enjoys? Therefore the school for the glory is suffering (enduring—NC) with Him—there I must matriculate, there I must graduate.

It is only as I take my “cross daily” (Luk 9:23 - e.g. enduring trials of the “old man, the Enemy and the worldly—NC) and follow Him that I can either desire or be prepared to ascend with Him the holy mount. Hence it is that death comes on us in many ways. “For we who live are always delivered unto death for Jesus’ sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh” (2Co 4:11). It is not the same process for all, but following Him will always disclose the nature of death that each of us has to go through.

Death is surrendering that in which I should like to live (e.g. without trials—NC), and in which I could live humanly; but as I abide in Him above I find that I must surrender it, and as I die to it accompanying Him I find my soul enlarged in desires, in apprehension and in preparation for His glory. I feel that what I have to die to is against Him, but the glory where He is, is the joy and resource of my heart.

When Moses felt the rebellion and hopelessness of Israel, his heart looked out for something beyond anything connected with man; his prayer was: “Show me Thy glory” (Exo 33:18). When Stephen reached the confines of testimony to Israel as a nation, the glory was presented to him as his home (Act 7:55, 56)!
How blessed! So with Paul in the prison at Rome and John on the island of Patmos. As each was partaker of the Lord Jesus’ sufferings he rejoiced “that, when His glory shall be revealed they shall be glad with exceeding joy” (1Pe 4:13).

It is as we by faith (apart from physical sensing—NC) apprehend where His grace has set us, that the more we ascend, and the more power we have to descend (endure here—NC). The more we are enriched and captivated with His things, the more we will be loosed from earthly attractions, and so be of the heavenly color, expressive of our heavenly taste—increasing in the high and spiritual things, while correspondingly relinquishing, or, dying to the natural or earthly things.

— James Butler Stoney (1814-1897)

MJS online devotional excerpt for May 12

“The Father chooses the servant who is suited to carry out His will; but though that servant be endowed by Him with power to do so, yet unless he be controlled and disciplined by the Spirit of God he will continually fall into the devisings of his nature, no matter how godly and divine may be his intent. For we greatly err if we think that having the divine thought is all that is necessary as to our service; we must truly and efficiently be expressive of the thought; and this subjects us, as servants of God, to discipline which we often cannot understand.

“Discipline for known faults or shortcomings we can easily comprehend; but when it is that peculiar order of training which fits a man to be God’s instrument and witness, we can no more understand it than the plants of the earth can understand why they must pass through all the vicissitudes of winter in order to bring forth a more abundant harvest.”
-J.B.S.

Back