Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Peter The Rock

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mungo

In the first chapter of John’s gospel we read of Jesus’ first meeting with Peter. At that point Peter is called Simon. Jesus says to Peter (vs 42)
"So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas" (which means Peter)
Renaming someone is always significant in the Bible. Kephas (transliterated as Cephas) is Aramaic for Rock (a big one)

We come to the significance of this new name in Mt chapter 16:13-18
We need to analyse this verse by verse.

13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?"
Caesarea Philippi is at the far north of Israel, a long way, probably 3 days walking from Capernaum. In Matthew’s gospel this incident is the only one reported at Caesarea Philippi so this exchange seems to have been the main purpose of his visit. We’ll see why later. Jesus starts obliquely, asking them who other people say he is.
14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." The apostles give various answers to his question.
15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" A direct question to them. Only one person answers him.
16 Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
It is Peter who replies and defines who Jesus is, a definition we still use today.
17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. Jesus commends Peter for his answer and blesses him. Note that Peter is the only one to reply and as a direct revelation from the Father.
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,…..
Now Jesus continues to address Peter and in return defines who Peter is. He is Rock, and furthermore the rock on which Jesus will build his Church.

Paul refers to Cephas in his first letter to the Corinthians “and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.” (1Cor 15:5). So Peter was also know as Cephas (Rock)

Another point worth noting is that this exchange took place at Caesarea Philippi which is is at the far north of Israel, a long way, probably 3 days walking from Capernaum. In Matthew’s gospel this incident is the only one reported at Caesarea Philippi so this exchange seems to have been the main purpose of his visit.

In that place there is a massive cliff face, at the base of which were various temples to pagan gods. One of these was erected by Herod the Great to the Emperor of Rome, Augustus Caesar. (http://www.bible-history.com/biblestudy/caesarea-philippi.html).

Jesus is contrasting these temples, built on rock, to the Church he will build on Peter the Rock.

In the first chapter of John’s gospel we read of Jesus’ first meeting with Peter. At that point Peter is called Simon. Jesus says to Peter (vs 42)
"So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas" (which means Peter)
Renaming someone is always significant in the Bible. Kephas (transliterated as Cephas) is Aramaic for Rock (a big one)

We come to the significance of this new name in Mt chapter 16:13-18
We need to analyse this verse by verse.

13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?"
Caesarea Philippi is at the far north of Israel, a long way, probably 3 days walking from Capernaum. In Matthew’s gospel this incident is the only one reported at Caesarea Philippi so this exchange seems to have been the main purpose of his visit. We’ll see why later. Jesus starts obliquely, asking them who other people say he is.
14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." The apostles give various answers to his question.
15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" A direct question to them. Only one person answers him.
16 Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
It is Peter who replies and defines who Jesus is, a definition we still use today.
17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. Jesus commends Peter for his answer and blesses him. Note that Peter is the only one to reply and as a direct revelation from the Father.
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,…..
Now Jesus continues to address Peter and in return defines who Peter is. He is Rock, and furthermore the rock on which Jesus will build his Church.

Paul refers to Cephas in his first letter to the Corinthians “and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.” (1Cor 15:5). So Peter was also know as Cephas (Rock)

Another point worth noting is that this exchange took place at Caesarea Philippi which is is at the far north of Israel, a long way, probably 3 days walking from Capernaum. In Matthew’s gospel this incident is the only one reported at Caesarea Philippi so this exchange seems to have been the main purpose of his visit.

In that place there is a massive cliff face, at the base of which were various temples to pagan gods. One of these was erected by Herod the Great to the Emperor of Rome, Augustus Caesar. (http://www.bible-history.com/biblestudy/caesarea-philippi.html).

Jesus is contrasting these temples, built on rock, to the Church he will build on Peter the Rock.
Peter had that nick name "Rock" before Christ met him.

Prove it.
Simon called Peter

Matthew 4:18

[ The Calling of the First Disciples ] As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.
Simon was already called Peter.

Matthew 10:2

These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John;…

Mark 3:16 NIV
These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter…

KJV of Mark 3:16. And Simon he called Peter. Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed.

Luke 6:14

Simon (whom he named [call-ed] Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew,… Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed.

Acts 10:5

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.

Acts 10:32

Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.'

Acts 11:13
He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, 'Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter.

Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
It is Peter who replies and defines who Jesus is...

Scripture Says: herod had asked his priest and scribes to find out where the Christ would be born (matt 2:4)

Peter means Piece of rock.... like a stone.

Jesus is the chief cornerstone of the church with which all other stones (believers such as peter) build upon.

Simon called Peter

[ The Calling of the First Disciples ] As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.

Matthew 10:2

These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John;…

Mark 3:16 NIV
These are the twelve he appointed: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter…

KJV of Mark 3:16. And Simon he called Peter. Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed.

Luke 6:14

Simon (whom he named [call-ed] Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew,… Strong’s Greek. #1941, Epikaleoi: call-ed.

Acts 10:5

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.

Acts 10:32

Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.'

Acts 11:13
He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, 'Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter.

Doesn't your Bible have John's gospel in it?

Before Jesus called any of the twelve to follow him he had already met some of them.
John 1:40-42
One of the two who heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter).

Note it says Your shall be called Peter not you are called Peter.
Literally shall be being called - future passive in the Greek.

This was the first time Peter met Jesus and it was then that Jesus renamed him Peter.
It was later that Jesus formed his band of apostles and called them to follow him.

As to your quotes, both Mk 3:16 (Simon whom he surnamed Peter) and LK 6:14 (Simon, whom he named Peter) show that it was Jesus who changed Simon's name to Peter. And John tells us when he actually did that.

Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
It is Peter who replies and defines who Jesus is...

Scripture Says: herod had asked his priest and scribes to find out where the Christ would be born (matt 2:4)

Peter means Piece of rock.... like a stone.

Jesus is the chief cornerstone of the church with which all other stones (believers such as peter) build upon.
If you look at the Greek texts you will see that Jesus actually renamed Simon as Kephas, which is Aramaic for Rock - a big one. Peter is our translation of that.

Paul refers to Kephas in 8 places in both his first letter to the Corinthians and in his letter to the Galatians. For example:
“and that he appeared to Kephas, then to the twelve.” (1Cor 15:5)
“Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to confer with Kephas(Gal 1:18)
“and when James and Kephas and John, who were acknowledged pillars” (Gal 2:9)

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter

Scripture Says: you have to remember that most people knew peter as simon

Before Jesus called any of the twelve to follow him he had already met some of them.
One of the two who heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter).

This was the first time Peter met Jesus and it was then that Jesus renamed him Peter.
It was later that Jesus formed his band of apostles and called them to follow him.

As to your quotes, both Mk 3:16 (Simon whom he surnamed Peter) and LK 6:14 (Simon, whom he named Peter) show that it was Jesus who changed Simon's name to Peter. And John tells us when he actually did that.
Strong's Concordance
kaleó: to call​
Original Word: καλέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: kaleó
Phonetic Spelling: (kal-eh'-o)
Definition: to call
Usage: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
to call
NASB Translation
call (13), called (99), calling (2), calls (7), give (1), invite (2), invited (15), invited guests (1), invites (1), name given (1), named (2), so-called (1), summoned (2).

The Church is built upon the chief cornerstone Jesus
Our Rock

Genesis 49:24[/b]
But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,...

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock
, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the Lord had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.

1 Samuel 2:2
“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2
He said: “The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3
my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me.

2 Samuel 22:32
For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?

2 Samuel 22:47

“The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3

The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,

Psalm 18:2

The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:31

Psalm 18:46

The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 19:14

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 28:1

To you, Lord, I call; you are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Psalm 31:2

Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my Rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Psalm 31:3

Since you are my Rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Psalm 42:9

I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”

Psalm 62:2

Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:6

Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 62:7

My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty Rock, my refuge.

Psalm 71:3

Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my fortress.

Psalm 78:35

They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.

Psalm 89:26

He will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.’

Psalm 92:15

proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Psalm 94:22

But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the Rock in whom I take refuge.

Psalm 95:1

Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 144:1

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Isaiah 17:10

You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines,...

Isaiah 26:4

Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

Isaiah 30:29

And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the Rock of Israel.

Isaiah 44:8

Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

Isaiah 51:1

“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the Rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;

Habakkuk 1:12

Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.

It was abundantly clear to Yahshua that Yahwah is the Foundation Rock.

Strong's Concordance
kaleó: to call​
Original Word: καλέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: kaleó
Phonetic Spelling: (kal-eh'-o)
Definition: to call
Usage: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
to call
NASB Translation
call (13), called (99), calling (2), calls (7), give (1), invite (2), invited (15), invited guests (1), invites (1), name given (1), named (2), so-called (1), summoned (2).

Mathew 4:18 - the called there is NOT kaleo but
legomenon from lego – Strong 3004.

Yes, Simon was already named Peter by then because Jesus has renamed him in John 1:42 when he [Jesus] first met him.

Our Rock

Genesis 49:24[/b]
But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,...

He is the Rock
, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.

How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the Lord had given them up?

“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me.

The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,

The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

To you, Lord, I call; you are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my Rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Since you are my Rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”

Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my fortress.

proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines,...

And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the Rock of Israel.

Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the Rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;

Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.

It was abundantly clear to Yahshua that Yahwah is the Foundation Rock.

None of those quotes refer to the foundation of the Church.
Scripture very clearly says that:
1. Jesus renamed Simon as Kephas (Rock), translated as Peter (John 1:42)
2. Jesus founded the Church on this Rock called Peter. (Mt 16:18).

Consider this also. Jesus said this about Peter at of Caesarea Philippi.
Caesarea Philippi is at the far north of Israel, a long way, probably 3 days walking from Capernaum. In Matthew’s gospel this incident is the only one reported at Caesarea Philippi so this exchange seems to have been the main purpose of his visit. At Caesarea Philippi there is a massive cliff face, at the base of which were various temples to pagan gods. Jesus is contrasting these temples, built on rock, to the one he will build on Peter the Rock.

1peter 2:6-7 God lays in sion Jesus as the chief cornerstone...

Eph 2:20-21and being built upon the foundation of the apostleS (one of which peter is) and prophets
Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone!
21) In (christ) whom ALL the building fitly framed together

So who do the apostles build upon? The chief corner stone is the First stone laid which All other stones (peter included) use as a guild and build upon That stone.

Since this clearly says that jesus not peter is the chief corner stone maybe we should look at matt 16:18 a little closer as it has to work with these scriptures and countless others that say JESUS is the Head of the church.

We see that verse
13 Jesus is asking who men says Jesus is (this is about Jesus)
14 about Who Jesus is
15 about who jesus is
16 about who and what Jesus is
17 about peter Knowing who Jesus is, Jesus calls him by simon bar-jona
18....... you are now peter..... so does Jesus say that he will build the church off peter or does he then tell Peter who he is.... since it could work either way and the whole coversation is about Who Jesus is and since the chief cornerstone is greater than All Other stones or rocks...

Wasnt it peter in verse 23 being called Satan by Jesus? Jesus is the pattern which unlike peter NEVER changes we would build upon... were sure to always always get the correct foundation when we use Christ as the first stone.

Youd atleast think peter would of been given more space like say paul in the bible if it were true.....

16:18 on this rock I will build MY CHURCH.... whose? Jesus's church.

Eph 1:22-23 God has put Jesus over ALL things when pretaining to the church
22) WHICH IS HIS BODY....

CHURCH starts when we believe on his name......

EPH 5:23 Christ is the HEAD of the church (which are believers)

So Jesus is both the FIRST STONE LAID and also the HEAD of the church... wow.

What pray tell did you think Jesus was the first stone laid for a pizza hut?

As the first stone laid God the Father must of been planning to build something....hmmmmm

Some what 14 years later paul has to correct peter in front of everyone Galatians 2:11-21 wow lol

Interesting all these years later paul confirms that peter is still in Jerusalem and that the jews (circumcision)
Has been committed to Peter...

Never went to rome.... nope

Last edited:
Jesus renamed Simon as Kephas (Rock), translated as Peter (John 1:42)

Scripture Says: arent those 2 different rocks? Kephas and petra?

Jesus renamed Simon as Kephas (Rock), translated as Peter (John 1:42)

Scripture Says: arent those 2 different rocks? Kephas and petra?
Kephas is aramaic for rock, which is translated to Greek petros (as Peter is male)

Those scriptures are falsely translated. Yahshua did not (name) him.

Our Rock

Genesis 49:24

He is the Rock

(The Lord) is Yahwah, our Father, the Holy Spirit.

Back