Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Plan of Salvation / Asking God for forgiveness ?

I've noticed the first step of salvation is to repent. Repent means that we are sorry and have a change of mind. Luke 13:3; Acts 3:19.
Then we confess our sins to God. (1 John 1:9, Romans 10:9).
We Believe that we are saved. (Acts 16:31).
We should forgive others. (Matthew 6:15).
Then we should surrender to Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Romans 12:1-2 , 9-18; James 1: 19-27.

But I can't find where we should ask God for forgiveness for our sins. I think we should. Maybe its inferred in the previous steps of salvation? Confessing our sins is as close to asking for forgiveness that I can find.

Your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bob

This is a good point here. I realize the Charles Finney altar call is the most popular and the most effective in getting to people who converted but haven't a clue what to do next about it...

I was so caught up in the Finney-esque style at one time I could not recall my own conversion until I recalled when and how it actually happened. I was a scared little boy in kindergarten my mother was very late picking me up and I feared the worst (as I always did in those days). This was 1967 at Gardenside Christian Church in Lexington, Kentucky... my teacher was Ruby Maggard a woman who was on fire for Jesus. I was alone in a classroom that had a calender with a picture of Jesus on the cross. I looked up to him there and I had a warm feeling and my fears rushed away and I knew I belong to Jesus from that moment forward.

I always knew Ms Maggard was special (especially to me) but I did not know how special until I read her obit which I found last year...

2625477_02062010_1.jpg

Ruby Maggard, a dedicated Christian educator, died on February 4, 2010 after a long illness. She was born in Lothair, Kentucky (Perry County) on December 5, 1926. Family, friends, medical staff, and Hospice professionals ministered to her in a compassionate manner.
Miss Maggard became a Christian at a young age and served the Lord faithfully throughout her life. After graduating from Eastern Kentucky University and pursuing graduate studies at Cincinnati Christian University, she taught at Mountain Mission School, a home for seriously disadvantaged Appalachian youth located in Grundy, Virginia.

While teaching in Virginia, Ruby was introduced to the Sunset Beach Christian School in Haleiwa, Hawaii. After learning of the great need for Christ-centered education in Hawaii, she moved to the islands and served as a missionary teacher. Ruby continued her educational ministry by responding to an invitation to join the student life staff at Kentucky Christian University, Grayson, Kentucky. While serving at Kentucky Christian University, she also helped churches in the region develop Kindergarten programs and provided leadership for many different Vacation Bible School programs. During her time in Grayson, members of her immediate family developed serious health conditions and Ruby returned to Richmond to help care for their needs.

After returning home, she served as the founding teacher for the Gardenside Christian Church Kindergarten. For 32 years, Ruby challenged her Gardenside students to grow academically while teaching them about God’s Word and His creation. She was also a very active member of the Big Hill Avenue Christian Church in Richmond where she provided leadership in the areas of Sunday School, Junior Church, Vacation Bible School, and visits to the elderly.

For nearly 50 years, Ruby taught young people about God’s love and shared with them the Good News of Jesus Christ. As a Christian educator, it is very fitting that her educational ministry continues to demonstrate the power of multiplication. Ruby helped transform the lives of thousands of students through her teaching. Now, the thousands she instructed are positively impacting the lives of tens of thousands of others on behalf of Jesus Christ. The world is a much better place today because Ruby, a true servant leader, made herself available to be used by God.

Ruby, who was a member of the Richmond Community Christian Church, is survived by three siblings: Grace M. Bowles, Bruce Maggard, and Joyce M. Edwards; seven nieces, nine nephews, more than thirty great-nieces and –nephews, and more than ten great-great-nieces and -nephews. She was preceded in death by the following immediate family members: Father - Israel D. Maggard, Mother - Martha M. Maggard, Brother - Ivan “Buster” Maggard, Sister - Loyce M. Dundon, Brother - Herman Maggard, and Sister - Bessie M. Jackson.

The funeral service will be conducted at 11:00 a.m., on Monday, February 8th at the Oldham, Roberts & Powell Funeral Home, 1110 Barnes Mill Road in Richmond, Kentucky. Burial will follow in the Richmond Cemetery. Visitation will be 2-6 p.m. on Sunday, February 7th at Oldham, Roberts & Powell Funeral Home. Memorial contributions are suggested to the Hospice Compassionate Care Center, 350 Isaacs Lane, Richmond, KY 40475 or the Richmond Community Christian Church, 230 Boggs Lane, Richmond, KY 40475.

She was an incredible soul winner to the Lord and his servant.

I've noticed the first step of salvation is to repent. Repent means that we are sorry and have a change of mind. Luke 13:3; Acts 3:19.
Then we confess our sins to God. (1 John 1:9, Romans 10:9).
We Believe that we are saved. (Acts 16:31).
We should forgive others. (Matthew 6:15).
Then we should surrender to Jesus as our Lord and Savior. Romans 12:1-2 , 9-18; James 1: 19-27.

But I can't find where we should ask God for forgiveness for our sins. I think we should. Maybe its inferred in the previous steps of salvation? Confessing our sins is as close to asking for forgiveness that I can find.

we have no basis to ask Him to forgive us. we have nothing to offer Him, nothing to give Him. nothing to do for Him that He should even think of us.
it is a sheer miracle of Grace that He will forgive us our sins if we do what He says.
note that repentance is not saying "i'm sorry" , nor changing our mind. (per se).
it is turning around, away from our own selfishness and repugnant fleshly worldly life,
to Him, to God, to seek Him in His fullness, to look to Him as we cry desperately "HELP!!! me, LORD!!!"
and
to stay or keep turning to HIM, to do as He says instead of anything else at all.
Your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bob

Back