Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Please Help Me

Caroline H said:
I think that you are very superstitious yourself if you think that science and faith cannot mix. :shrug

TRUE science, and Christianity, DO mix. All the time. NO problem.
The problems come when lost men and women force their lies into textbooks.

Biblereader said:
happyjoy said:
So Biologist, Physicists, Geologist, and Chemists, are working for the Devil, .

No, not all of them. Just the ones who are against what God clearly states, in the bible.
The bible is all facts.

The bible is true, but it is not all facts.

It contains allegories, parables, and illustrations that are meant to convey truth, but not necessarily provide facts.

chestertonrules said:

It contains allegories, parables, and illustrations that are meant to convey truth, but not necessarily provide facts.

I would agree with this.

Biblereader said:

I think that problems also arise when some Christians hold to dogmas that aren't necessarily taught in the Scriptures as though they are facts as well.

For instance, the whole idea that the earth is 6000 years old, when almost all geological evidence is to a much older earth. The Bible nowhere and in no way teaches that the earth itself is 6000 years old. That figure came from folks adding up how many years certain men lived. Without going into the idea that there was a previous civilization prior to Adam (a theory I wholeheartedly reject), Genesis clearly states that the earth was in place prior to the first creation day. Traditional Jewish scholars have also long stated that adding up the years in genealogies is not a good way to mark time, because genealogies can have many variables that aren't necessarily recorded.

The main thing is though, there is no chapter and verse that says, "And thus the Lord created the earth x amount of years ago" that we can add to to get a Biblically verifiable age of the earth. It could be 6000 years or 6 billion years. God didn't tell us when He created this rock we live on, and it's wrong for Christians to be dogmatically drawing lines in the sand against science over the issue as if He did.

handy said:
chestertonrules said:

I would agree with this.

Biblereader said:

I think that problems also arise when some Christians hold to dogmas that aren't necessarily taught in the Scriptures as though they are facts as well.

For instance, the whole idea that the earth is 6000 years old, when almost all geological evidence is to a much older earth. The Bible nowhere and in no way teaches that the earth itself is 6000 years old. That figure came from folks adding up how many years certain men lived. Without going into the idea that there was a previous civilization prior to Adam (a theory I wholeheartedly reject), Genesis clearly states that the earth was in place prior to the first creation day. Traditional Jewish scholars have also long stated that adding up the years in genealogies is not a good way to mark time, because genealogies can have many variables that aren't necessarily recorded.

The main thing is though, there is no chapter and verse that says, "And thus the Lord created the earth x amount of years ago" that we can add to to get a Biblically verifiable age of the earth. It could be 6000 years or 6 billion years. God didn't tell us when He created this rock we live on, and it's wrong for Christians to be dogmatically drawing lines in the sand against science over the issue as if He did.

Hi

The actual age of this earth is not that significant. However, what is significant, is the fact ( I might add ) that there was life and humans on this earth prior to the so called six day creation. God would have never used the word "replenish" this earth, if humans and beasts , etc, were not on this earth at the beginning of Gen. 1:1. Also another "fact" that gets overlooked. > God always uses the word "created" and not the word "made" when refering to something that never was before. In Gen. 1:25 God uses the word "made" in reference to the beasts, etc. The word "made" or "make" is always in reference to that which existed before. Such is the case in Gen. 1:26 where God says - "Let us make man in our image.

Bless

I think the simpler explanation is that the beasts and man were made from the earth which was already created, not that there was a pre-Adam civilization.

At any rate, the fossil record is what it is. Some scientists have taken a stab at explaining it via evolution. The Bible has the creation story in Genesis. Frankly, I don't find either the theory of evolution, nor Genesis 1, brings full and complete understanding of what geology shows us. I find that there are a lot of ways that evolution and creation overlap. There are also certain things that evolution states that the Bible clearly states otherwise. The biggest being the evolution of one species into another different species, where Genesis tells us that God created "each after its own kind". However, I don't think the fossil record supports the idea of one species morphing into a totally different species either.

The best thing is to not shout where the Bible is silent, and to not dismiss out of hand anything that science has provided us because we think it's "anti-Christian" when it's just really "anti-Christian assumption not fully grounded in Scripture."

btw, does anyone else think that the OP is a bit of a put on anyway? That crack at the end about just responding if we are going to give the answer he wants to hear coupled with the fact that he made only one post makes me wonder if the folks over at "Fundies Say the Darndest Things!" are at it again. :confused

happyjoy said:
I was responding to superstition. One can be both rational and Christian. When people go around saying that science is of the devil they are being superstitious.

Science is of God, science is also a very powerful tool. The problem is that satan has grossly perverted science with his lies and thievery.

happyjoy said:
Science can not prove any specific person existed 2000 years ago, that isn't what science does.

Science explains the world around us. That it is older than six thousand years old. That all life on earth is related. That the earth revolves around the sun which its self revolves around the center of our galaxy. That the speed of light is a constant. That water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Those are the things science deals with.

It's been proven that so called scientific methods of detecting the age of items is erroneous.

You see that's where the devil trips folks up. He gives you some straight facts, alot of straight facts in many cases, facts that are easy to check. He does this so that when he slips in the lie you'll fall for it hook line, and sinker. Chances are you'll be lied to by so many authorities as a child that you'll never question it as an adult. And those who do,,, well don't listen to them. They're "conspiracy nuts" and "wack jobs". You don't want to be one of them do you?

chestertonrules said:
Biblereader said:
happyjoy said:
So Biologist, Physicists, Geologist, and Chemists, are working for the Devil, .

No, not all of them. Just the ones who are against what God clearly states, in the bible.
The bible is all facts.

"But now what piety without truth? What truth, what saving truth, without the word of God? What word of God, whereof we may be sure, without the Scripture?" Translators - To The Reader

http://www.lamblion.net/Quotations/miles_smith.htm

ronniechoate34 said:
happyjoy said:
Science can not prove any specific person existed 2000 years ago, that isn't what science does.

Science explains the world around us. That it is older than six thousand years old. That all life on earth is related. That the earth revolves around the sun which its self revolves around the center of our galaxy. That the speed of light is a constant. That water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Those are the things science deals with.

It's been proven that so called scientific methods of detecting the age of items is erroneous.

You see that's where the devil trips folks up. He gives you some straight facts, alot of straight facts in many cases, facts that are easy to check. He does this so that when he slips in the lie you'll fall for it hook line, and sinker. Chances are you'll be lied to by so many authorities as a child that you'll never question it as an adult. And those who do,,, well don't listen to them. They're "conspiracy nuts" and "wack jobs". You don't want to be one of them do you?

If you believe that the earth is six thousand years old, and the devil is putting lies out there that make it look much older then you are indeed a conspiracy nut, and need a tinfoil hat.

This is not meant to hinder discussion, but I ask that we refrain from the name calling and personal insults. In other words, no more whack job and tin foil hat comments. :grumpy

ronniechoate34 said:
happyjoy said:

ronnie..isn't the claim re: the devil's machinations,the mother of all conspiracies?

Back