Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Posting from Ubuntu Linux for the first time

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Vince

Bill Taylor will be proud of me. For about $16 US, I paid a computer shop to install Ubuntu on an 8 gig thumb drive.

It is not difficult. During start-up, I had to press F11 (This will vary on different computers) to get the option to boot off a thumb drive. A tiny Ubuntu icon appeared, and after ten seconds the entire program opened. A column of icons on the left made it easy to find my way around.

I did not have to sign onto any account, so I had to go to Outlook.com to get into my e-mail account. As with every new computer and/or operating system, I have to sign in to everything that ever required registration.

Folks, it is easy to do.

I was thinking of getting a raspberry pi and loading it up.

Just to try it out.

This sounds great.

Okay, when I rebooted off the thumb drive, all my downloads had disappeared. I can't find a way to drag them to the thumb drive. There is a folder for the other three OSs I have on my rig, but I wasn't able to drag anything to one of those, either. How do I drag a folder to my Ubuntu thumb drive to save it?

Vince, you finally are a testimony to what I've been saying for years what many people should do. No more viruses. No more defragging, no more "clean up the registry" (there is none in Linux LOL) no more installing another program and having compatibility issues (they come from the repository), no more computer slow-ups-- it may slow up some over many years due to increasing software complexity and hardware limitations, but not like Microsoft.

So what do people do? They moan and groan about having to learn another operating system (I learned basically 5 things and I was proficient enough to operate this) when that argument does not hold water. Microsoft changes things around all the time and people then moan about that. They say you have to be a "geek" and technically literate to work Linux. No you don't. If something went wrong here I'd have to look it up, but then again in the 5 or so years I had this nothing really went wrong. With Microsoft you have to be more of a "geek" playing with values and keys in the registry from the last virus, and troubleshooting what's running in the background because your computer is so slow, etc etc. So the same people who claim you have to be a geek don't blink and eye spending $$$ for a professional to clean their computers out again. So they forgo even trying Linux (even if on a stick) and then there's another post here about someone with a virus or spyware again. Good grief! Sometimes I think people feel they want to be punished. On another forum I asked a woman that had constant complaints about her computer why she put up with Microsoft? The operating system does nothing but acts abusive to the operator like one of those relationships where the guy always slams the woman around but she "loves" him anyway. :rolleyes Then another poster told me to be careful what I said because she really had an abusive husband. Well, that answers that , i.e. the personality types who choose Microsoft over something else when the life saver was thrown to them countless times. So.... I abandoned helping people with the Microsoft OS any longer unless they are truly ignorant, but most aren't any longer. They just don't have the gumption to switch and rather complain maybe feeling they are a victim or something to that effect.

As for Ubuntu, you'll like it. With the hidden task bar on the side, I thought it was very "mac-ish" when I first tried it back in 2011. Always get your programs (apps) from the repository and then it will be compatible and troublefree-- no Trojans. And for sure you won't ever be a victim of a drive-by or "accidentally click the wrong thing and you have another virus again". Only Microsoft gets those. That's because Linux is multi-user, unlike Microsoft, so the system files are in the root directory separated from user permissions and all users. Viruses can only get into your user account and don't have authority to go down deep to the root directory and thus the workings of the OS itself. Microsoft allows that, even if you give yourself only so many permissions which is why it gets messed up major time.

Good post, Tim.

But how do I save downloads when I turn my machine off?

Also, it keeps offering me the option to install. I'm not knowledgeable about Linux and I'm afraid that it will delete one of my Windows systems (I have XP, 8, and 10 on three separate partitions). I have room for a Linux partition, however.

Vince:

After I gave a long answer I realized now you did not really install the Ubuntu but are working off the stick. So I deleted my post. That's not a true installation. Your questions would not have made sense since if it was installed on the HD and I was somewhat confused. You are running "live Linux". You can't upgrade anything until you install. Actually, I found places where you can install on the stick and it's supposed to remember those upgrades, but I never actually have done that myself except try a long time ago on Knoppix unsuccessfully. I'm not sure why you would want to run Linux off the stick other than to try it first. Usually that's done to boot into Linux temporarily maybe to help rid Microsoft of it's many malware plagues since it can still access the HD,

If you decide to install, from my recollection it does a full disk scan and tells you what operating systems you have. You then have the option to 1) run off the stick (which you are doing), 2) install it and destroying all other operating systems (i.e. format and partition the whole drive) or 3) let the operating systems there but designate how much remaining disk you want to partition for Linux. Once installed, a menu should come up asking which operating system you want to boot into. At least that's how my memory serves me. It's all menu choices and it walks you through it. I just went cold turkey and destroyed the MS, so I don't have much experience actually installing a dual boot myself. My computer whiz son did it and I saw what those dual boot menus looked like so it worked for him.

It appears, Tim, that you are correct. I have to actually install Ubuntu before I can save anything. I have an old XP tower in storage and I might try that one first.

Okay, Gang, I decided to install Linux on my Windows 7 desktop, which is upgraded to Windows 10. It has XP and 8 on other partitions.

It recommends that I install next to 10, and there is enough room (6.9 gigs of space required). It promises me the ability to dual-boot.

Choosing to create a new partition, I found a partition for loading Windows 10, and three large partitions which I assume are XP, 8, and 10. However, it tells me that I cannot create any new partitions.

Is it safe for me to install next to 10, as they recommend?

Incidentally, it is Linus 15.10, known as "Wiley Werewolf."

Boy, if I wasn't apprehensive enough already, you guys just scared me to death. LOL

Willie, I'll be installing Ubuntu onto my Windows desktop later today. If you never hear from me again, we'll know that you were right.

Good post, Tim.

But how do I save downloads when I turn my machine off?

Also, it keeps offering me the option to install. I'm not knowledgeable about Linux and I'm afraid that it will delete one of my Windows systems (I have XP, 8, and 10 on three separate partitions). I have room for a Linux partition, however.
If you have an empty partition you will be offered a quad boot option if you have three systems already. I've never done more that two but with an empty partition I would select 'Something Else' and when the partitions are viewablle, and selecting 'Something Else'they will be, select that partition and go. There are seven steps and in 10 to fifteen minutes you will boot into the GRUB Boot and have 10 seconds to hit the down arrow to stop the automatic boot into Ubuntu and then you select where to go.

I do know all you windows partitions are available to you for any usage from Ubuntu but the reverse is not true except you download a program from the web for that and install it to the windoze sys. you wish to have the extra space. If you go to the Ubuntu Forum, Linux Questions, and/or the Linux Forums people that are much better informed than I will help for free. I know there must be a way to save from the Flash Drive because if you ever have a boot issue, the thumb drive is what is used to repair the issue with.

Happy cost-free, no infection computing.

I found this in a discussion at LQ;
suicidaleggroll
LQ Guru
Contributing Member

Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS

Rep:
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

There are two ways to install Linux on a USB drive (be it a thumb/flash/pen drive or an external usb harddrive).

1) Use dd, unetbootin, YUMI, or some other tool to write a live ISO to the drive.

2) Use a separate boot device to run a linux installer to actually install linux to the drive.

#1 is easier and faster, but very limited. You usually don't get persistence, and even when you do it's easily corrupted, filesystem types are often limited, etc.

#2 gets you a full linux installation with a regular filesystem, but it means you need a separate boot driveand you need to run through the linux installation process, which takes time and knowledge to not screw things up. #2 actually requires #1 as well. You use #1 to write the installation dvd to USB drive A, boot that, then use the installer to install linux onto USB drive B.

And at LQ in another string;
PM #4
rtmistler
Contributing Member

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu

Rep:
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

Two ways I can think of, off the bat:
  1. Live media such as CD/DVD or USB and then save any data to a thumb stick, or secondary partition on the boot stick.
  2. Have a read/writeable drive where you fully install Ubuntu. Same result except you do not have to have secondary media to save settings and such, plus if you customize things like bookmarks or add-ons to a browser or install other programs, they will be there as opposed to a live media boot where it would always be the same.
I would disconnect any other drives and just have the install media and the destination external hard drive on the system to perform the install.

"Never give up ... never surrender."- Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart

Willie, I'll be installing Ubuntu onto my Windows desktop later today. If you never hear from me again, we'll know that you were right.
If you work it out, would you PLEASE consider writing a "Step # 1, step # 2, step # 3, step # 4.... etc. paper for us fearful dummies?

Gasp...I...I installed Ubuntu onto my Windows desktop...gasp...Then it wanted to install the updates....then it stopped after half an hour, saying that the connection had failed...then it wouldn't let me into Windows...and in the distance...I could hear Willie T....laughing....then it wouldn't let me onto the internet...but I found out how to get into Windows...now it wants to upgrade me to the next version of Ubuntu...and I'm posting this from Windows 10.

When I try to run an installed program, it gives me a choice of "More Info" or "Remove." Right-clicking has no effect. Any suggestions?

When I try to run an installed program, it gives me a choice of "More Info" or "Remove." Right-clicking has no effect. Any suggestions?
It was not Ubuntu 16.04? And boot from the stick again, at the desk top press CTR, ALT. & T. At the Terminal type sudo update-grub or update grub.

Did you install to the empty partition or did you just click Enstall Alongside?

Okay, I'm solving the problems one by one, and I'm actually posting from "Wiley Werewolf, " which is the second-newest Ubuntu distribution. Essentially, Ubuntu fits better on certain computers than on others. A game I like keeps locking up. If I can get the upgrades for Wiley Werewolf, I might be able to upgrade to the newest version of Ubuntu.

Part of my problem is that other than geeking around and playing a few games, Ubuntu has nothing that I need. It goes on the web fine, but so do Windows and Chrome. I can do serious work, but I can do that on other systems. The poorly-equipped Bible programs cannot compare to what Windows has.

I'm actually enjoying learning the system, which has a higher learning curve than Windows 10. I could have done more with it when it was on the flash drive if I had understood the OS better. The more I learn, the more I enjoy Linux, and I might wind up liking it.

Bill, I installed it alongside 10, and then it installed on my Windows 8 partition. That's okay, as I won't be adding any new Windows 8 programs, anyway.

Okay, I'm solving the problems one by one, and I'm actually posting from "Wiley Werewolf, " which is the second-newest Ubuntu distribution. Essentially, Ubuntu fits better on certain computers than on others. A game I like keeps locking up. If I can get the upgrades for Wiley Werewolf, I might be able to upgrade to the newest version of Ubuntu.

Part of my problem is that other than geeking around and playing a few games, Ubuntu has nothing that I need. It goes on the web fine, but so do Windows and Chrome. I can do serious work, but I can do that on other systems. The poorly-equipped Bible programs cannot compare to what Windows has.

I'm actually enjoying learning the system, which has a higher learning curve than Windows 10. I could have done more with it when it was on the flash drive if I had understood the OS better. The more I learn, the more I enjoy Linux, and I might wind up liking it.

Bill, I installed it alongside 10, and then it installed on my Windows 8 partition. That's okay, as I won't be adding any new Windows 8 programs, anyway.
Okay, that is why the issues. Had you installed the way I recommended I believe you would have fared better. I'm still lost for advising you because I have no idea how the Ubuntu you installed is set up. The avabilable versions run from 7.04, 7.10, 8.04,8.10 through 16.04 until October when the short term version 16.10 will release.

Your description of the desk top as being Mac-like lends me to believe you did not end up with the, much, more windoze user friendly Ubuntu Mate 16.04. If that is the case, according to my Mac Lover granddaughter, your system is a bit different than either of mine because I use Ubuntu-Mate on my Lap Top and Ubuntu-Gnome on my Desk-Top.

If you dislike the Desktop I will reccommend using the Ubuntu Software Center to download and install Synaptic to give you a much greater install system and from there to search Synaptic for either Mate or Cinnamon. Both are a good deal more windoze like.

For your game, you might need Wine and it can be loaded from Ubuntu Software or from Synaptic. Being new to the system I reccommend the Software center for Wine because you will not believe the options for the experienced in Synaptic. Also for windows game installs you will want Wine Tricks and y ou will learn to loose all caps in the linux world.

Back