Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Prayer : continual discussion or focused reverence

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

DizzyForest

how should we be approaching God in Prayer, specifically there seems to be different views. Firstly there seems to be a train of thought that is ‘Be in regular interaction/discussion with God’ , constantly bring things before God. And this generally seems to come through as constantly prayers as things happen - ‘Lord help me not get frustrated with …’ , ‘Lord please give me patience … ‘ etc

The second approach which is more how I have been brought up is approaching God in the right mind set and with reverence and appropriate respect for an all powerful God who is our saviour. And in this approach you find quiet space, quiet your mind and thoughts with no distractions and praying from a place of reverence and respect.

I generally go back to Matthew 6:9-13 as the general guidance and this to me more aligns with the second approach above. Where in the bible do we see the first kind of prayer? And do you generally use both approaches or do list people have a preference ?

how should we be approaching God in Prayer, specifically there seems to be different views. Firstly there seems to be a train of thought that is ‘Be in regular interaction/discussion with God’ , constantly bring things before God. And this generally seems to come through as constantly prayers as things happen - ‘Lord help me not get frustrated with …’ , ‘Lord please give me patience … ‘ etc
Yes I pray these kind of prayers and also there is the emergency petition . My family and I were stopped abruptly on a rain slick highway behind a car turning left and as I looked in my rear view mirror I saw a pick-up truck that was pulling a cattle trailer and it was jackknifing unable to stop in time to avoid running into us . The only words I got out were "Lord Jesus !" . A second or two later the pick-up managed to get straight and come around us on the shoulder of the road . Hair raising it was:eek .
And in this approach you find quiet space, quiet your mind and thoughts with no distractions and praying from a place of reverence and respect.
I do like to pray at night in the dark in my front yard under a canopy of stars . Weather permitting of course :) .
Where in the bible do we see the first kind of prayer?
Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

This is a good question. The Lord's prayer is a good prayer for us but it is actually a model prsyer for us.

I think most people pray to God naturally as God the Father Judge or God our provider. But I had a dream one time and in the dream I had been taken up to visit with God the Father. I found myself waiting to speak with Him, but there was a lot of people there and whenever He would finish talking to anyone, the croowd would hound Him with the next question like a pack of reporters or something. The Father was there in the next room and I could tell that He was trying to wrap it up in there and come talk to me because He kept glancing to me and smiling and gesturing towards me. Eventually He took His leave from the (reporters, lol) and He did come over and speak with me and most was just chit chat like with a friend. I do remember though that He motioned me closer to Him and He leaned in and said to me, don't call Me Father...

That blew my mind at the time and was the end of the dream. So for a few days I was mystified and I had the scriptures in my head, bugging me, Call no one on earth Father (or God either??!!

It took a few days to understand what He meant by, don't call me Father. Actually, He very probably had pity on my denseness and just impressed it upon me!
He meant that I do not have to approach Him every time, as God the Father Judge warrior and destroyer of evil. He likes to be approached as Abba. And He likes to be called Abba. Abba is not the Judge, He is a parent and likes to chit chat and even play with His children in the back yard on His day off. (so to speak).

I took that epiphany and remembered alll of the different Names of God that are in scripture. I realized that I (we) should be approaching Him different ways depending on what are prayers are centered on.
Are you praying for provision? Pray to, Jehovah Jireh (the God who Provides), need healing? Pray to Jehova Rapha (God our Healer).

I could list them all, but that would spoil ya'lls Name Study, lol. Okay, one more. Need protection? Jehovah Rohi (God is my Sheperd!)

It's pretty easy to personalize ones approach to God in prayer using the Lords prayer. For example,
Our Father who is in Heaven, Hallowed be thy Abba because you are my Abba and I love you and want so much for your Kingdom to come and your will to be done on earth, just like it is in Heaven...and so forth.

If I don't feel better by morning, I'll be praying to Jehovah Rapha!

This is a good question. The Lord's prayer is a good prayer for us but it is actually a model prsyer for us.

I think most people pray to God naturally as God the Father Judge or God our provider. But I had a dream one time and in the dream I had been taken up to visit with God the Father. I found myself waiting to speak with Him, but there was a lot of people there and whenever He would finish talking to anyone, the croowd would hound Him with the next question like a pack of reporters or something. The Father was there in the next room and I could tell that He was trying to wrap it up in there and come talk to me because He kept glancing to me and smiling and gesturing towards me. Eventually He took His leave from the (reporters, lol) and He did come over and speak with me and most was just chit chat like with a friend. I do remember though that He motioned me closer to Him and He leaned in and said to me, don't call Me Father...

That blew my mind at the time and was the end of the dream. So for a few days I was mystified and I had the scriptures in my head, bugging me, Call no one on earth Father (or God either??!!

It took a few days to understand what He meant by, don't call me Father. Actually, He very probably had pity on my denseness and just impressed it upon me!
He meant that I do not have to approach Him every time, as God the Father Judge warrior and destroyer of evil. He likes to be approached as Abba. And He likes to be called Abba. Abba is not the Judge, He is a parent and likes to chit chat and even play with His children in the back yard on His day off. (so to speak).

I took that epiphany and remembered alll of the different Names of God that are in scripture. I realized that I (we) should be approaching Him different ways depending on what are prayers are centered on.
Are you praying for provision? Pray to, Jehovah Jireh (the God who Provides), need healing? Pray to Jehova Rapha (God our Healer).

I could list them all, but that would spoil ya'lls Name Study, lol. Okay, one more. Need protection? Jehovah Rohi (God is my Sheperd!)

It's pretty easy to personalize ones approach to God in prayer using the Lords prayer. For example,
Our Father who is in Heaven, Hallowed be thy Abba because you are my Abba and I love you and want so much for your Kingdom to come and your will to be done on earth, just like it is in Heaven...and so forth.

If I don't feel better by morning, I'll be praying to Jehovah Rapha!
Thanks Edward - never really thought of praying using the different names for God in the appropriate situations. Something I will need to look into.

I say both. If you read some of the Psalms, many of them are very raw emotionally. "God I feel like you've left me to die" kinda stuff. There is a time for prayers like that. There is also a time for due reverence and veneration.

Back