Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Preventive Health Care ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

hawkman

Staff member
A blood test for thyroid and diabetes is a good idea.
And blood pressure should be measured on a regular basis.
Yes , and I recommend everyone have their own device to check their blood pressure at home .
I'm not sure that any bloodwork would have caught my gall bladder issue as it was at the beginning stages, so there is that.
I had stomach issues and went to my GP and when he examined me he thought I had gall bladder trouble . My GP asked me ," Are you a fried food fiend ! " :lol . I said NO ! But I did eat a lot of fried food back then :shrug . Gall Bladder gone and I eat a better diet now .
We know that all sorts of "preventive" interventions save lives, improve quality of life, and save money. Does anyone seriously dispute this?
I would add these to the " preventive " , cut out as much fast food from your diet as possible , eliminate as many of the highly refined foods from your diet as you can like , sugar , wheat flour , junk food :sorry .

Get out and exercise ! Walking or swimming , hiking and many others that get you off the couch:couch !

Make sure to get some sunshine , you get natural vitamin D just the way God intended . We are creatures of light .

Be you own health advocate and pay attention to your own body , it could be sending you signals that there is a problem .

So with much trepidation I did have a colonoscopy . It was much easier than I thought , no problems found and come back in 5 years was my verdict :dancing .

I had stomach issues and went to my GP and when he examined me he thought I had gall bladder trouble . My GP asked me ," Are you a fried food fiend ! " :lol . I said NO ! But I did eat a lot of fried food back then :shrug . Gall Bladder gone and I eat a better diet now .

I don't eat alot of fried foods at home, nor do I eat alot of red meat. I prefer chicken and fish, but cannot afford fish right now.

However, my job is a whole other story. I work as an EMT for a private company. We don't have a kitchen to prepare meals and most days we're in that ambulance for 13 hours or more. So, I eat when I can and mostly it ends up being fast food because it's all that we have time for. Some days at work I only eat one meal during the day and so I have gotten used to eating alot during that one meal. This is one of the reasons that EMS is not a healthy profession and I have been doing it nearly 20 years off and on. Mostly on than off at this point.

Beyond finding another job and I am trying to do that, but when your skill set is literally being an EMT it makes it hard to get out of EMS, there's not a whole lot I can do about my diet while working as an EMT.

Beyond finding another job and I am trying to do that, but when your skill set is literally being an EMT it makes it hard to get out of EMS, there's not a whole lot I can do about my diet while working as an EMT.
I have the highest regard for your profession.... My niece just had to revive her brother... he had a heart attack... she is only 29 and it shook her to the core....she kept him alive until the ambulance came... This is a gift... to be able to keep calm in chaotic situations that are traumatic.... Thank you for what you do.....

I have the highest regard for your profession.... My niece just had to revive her brother... he had a heart attack... she is only 29 and it shook her to the core....she kept him alive until the ambulance came... This is a gift... to be able to keep calm in chaotic situations that are traumatic.... Thank you for what you do.....

Thank you for the kind words! This job is definitely not for everyone.

I feel for you that is a tough job , thanks for taking care of the people in their time of need . I am a trained first responder many years ago . I have rode in the back of a rescue looking up at the ceiling , odd feeling it is .

Is there anyway you can have healthy snacks with you when you are out in ambulance ? You know , fruit , cheese , nuts, yogurt , cottage cheese , etc . That way you could spread out your calorie intake through out the day . That way you it could help not be famished when you eat fast food .

I feel for you that is a tough job , thanks for taking care of the people in their time of need . I am a trained first responder many years ago . I have rode in the back of a rescue looking up at the ceiling , odd feeling it is .

Is there anyway you can have healthy snacks with you when you are out in ambulance ? You know , fruit , cheese , nuts, yogurt , cottage cheese , etc . That way you could spread out your calorie intake through out the day . That way you it could help not be famished when you eat fast food .

That's the rub for me as well. I'm a picky eater and have issues with textures. I don't eat fruit and my vegetables beyond salad need to be soft and not crunchy. I have an allergy to tree nuts, so the only nut like thing I can eat are peanuts. Don't like cottage cheese and yogurt is a no go as well because of texture. There is also the fact that it is hard to keep things that cold in an ambulance in Florida heat for a 13 hour shift.

That ambulance gets hot quick!

My health is one of the reasons I am trying to get out of EMS. I had a job interview last week for a position looking for EMTs in a new plasma donation center opening up. I'm hopeful, but I am supposed to go to NC for a month for training and now that I just had the gall bladder surgery and cannot lift for at least a month, they may pass over me and not give me the job. This has been the closest I have gotten to leaving EMS in three years of trying.

I'm not against this idea

I walk ,I can easily walk 20 miles .exercise is great but the battle of the bulge is called that for a reason . your body will fight weight loss.

been there . as far as organic ,I'm weary as I have watched them grow and use chemicals ,I grew up on orange and citrus seasons ,now we have them yearly and in part because we import from other nations .but no one simply buys an orange locally grown and crushes it into oj.that pulp and seed taste is hard at first but it's awesome .I miss the smell of orange blossoms so strong it bothered you ,the last time I smelled that was in Polk county when I had the Windows down and driving near a grove and asked my wife ,what that smell?

she grew up in the grove ,picking and grading fruit . she instantly knew that scent . you can use bees to create tastes of oranges,honey and other tiny changes in the taste are done that way

the center of the state near avon park, and near tallahasee has groves. im sure there is more. my county and north st.lucie county had that smell. i remember the places like this all along us1 and turnpike feeder road

Attachments

• poinsetta groves story 2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • poinsetta groves story 3.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • poinsetta groves story 4.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
I'm not against this idea

I walk ,I can easily walk 20 miles .exercise is great but the battle of the bulge is called that for a reason . your body will fight weight loss.

been there . as far as organic ,I'm weary as I have watched them grow and use chemicals ,I grew up on orange and citrus seasons ,now we have them yearly and in part because we import from other nations .but no one simply buys an orange locally grown and crushes it into oj.that pulp and seed taste is hard at first but it's awesome .I miss the smell of orange blossoms so strong it bothered you ,the last time I smelled that was in Polk county when I had the Windows down and driving near a grove and asked my wife ,what that smell?

she grew up in the grove ,picking and grading fruit . she instantly knew that scent . you can use bees to create tastes of oranges,honey and other tiny changes in the taste are done that way
My Mom had a cousin that lived in FL and had some orange trees . The cousin would bring us some oranges and WOW were those oranges so much better than store bought . They were not pretty oranges , they had rough places on the peeling but the taste was great ! Tree ripened maybe ? The OJ from those was so good !

My Mom had a cousin that lived in FL and had some orange trees . The cousin would bring us some oranges and WOW were those oranges so much better than store bought . They were not pretty oranges , they had rough places on the peeling but the taste was great ! Tree ripened maybe ? The OJ from those was so good !
no the soil that is filled with calcium. limestone deposits, twasnt what is known as indian river citrus? that is world famous and the japanese love that. i should dig up the old photos of packing houses and make a thread on its history ,my county being part of that , but it spans from daytona abouts to jupiter . i grew up on that. fruit has white or brown spots, nasty look, great juice. you can eat it, but its the california ones we eat, the florida ones you drink. that is something i pass daily, it was built in the 20s and those doors were used to load citrus unto the train, there was a train stop by it and that was there before it.

regions have different taste ,I have not had Indian river oj in decades .I know Natalie orchids island is natural but most of her oj is from Polk county .my county grows mostly grape fruit ,I can find a local grove here ,two img.hale-gracewood is not what they were .

regions have different taste ,I have not had Indian river oj in decades .I know Natalie orchids island is natural but most of her oj is from Polk county .my county grows mostly grape fruit ,I can find a local grove here ,two img.hale-gracewood is not what they were .

I need to see if they grow Indian river ,the family sold that .
oh I grew up on them and lived where that packing house fruit stand is.I could smell the citrus . it is the old gracewood they are using but the newer of the packing house ,the one I remember is now cvs warehouse .my wife graded for hale ,packed at gracewood with her mom.

It's good to do things at home.
Don't feel good?
Check your blood pressure.
Check your temp.
Learn what to do if you have issues.
Don't panic.
Give it all to Jesus.
He will heal you.

Back