Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Problems Too Big to Pray For

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Sister

CF Ambassador

Problems Too Big To Pray For​

Alyssa Adkins

JANUARY 21, 2022

In full at: https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/01/21/problems-too-big-to-pray-for

When the Church doesn’t talk openly about the types of hardships we’re facing, especially “taboo” sins like addiction, alcoholism or abuse, it’s easy to forget we can talk openly to God about them. It’s even easier to forget the power of surrendering in prayer.

I know I do.

In our key verse today, we find an amazing discovery about prayer: “for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance” (Philippians 1:19).

The Apostle Paul endured beatings, arrests and imprisonment for preaching the gospel — outwardly shameful circumstances, to be sure. Despite his imprisonment, Paul rejoiced in his circumstances, confident the Lord was in control and the Philippians were praying for him. How?

He knew deliverance in his situation was connected to their prayers. Not the prayer of the Philippians by itself but the Spirit of Jesus Christ that came to Paul through their prayers. Paul’s needs were met by the Spirit, and this was brought about by the prayers of his friends.

In my years combating my alcoholism, I tried every strategy in the book. But I didn’t succeed in getting sober until I gave up my attempts to control and gave it over to God. By surrendering, I became dependent on Him. Through my own prayers and through the prayers of others, I experienced a renewing of my mind — a transformation.

When we’re going through hardship or someone we love is suffering, it’s natural to want to do something. Like the Philippian church probably felt while Paul was imprisoned, we can feel helpless to free others from their struggles.

But instead of searching frantically for new solutions, we can engage the Holy Spirit within us and intercede in prayer on behalf of others. We can share our fears, expose our helplessness, and request God's protection and peace for our loved ones. His light can bathe them in clarity, comfort and courage, delivering them from darkness — and reminding us, through His presence, that He can do all things.

Dear Jesus, forgive me for forgetting that You are always in control. Help me release my fears of the unknown to strengthen my trust in Your outcome. Keep reminding me that relying on Your power releases the pressure on me. I want to practice praying for others more than pursuing my own plans for them. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Back