Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Proof That Christ Is Equal With God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
Friday 9-23-22 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Elul 26 5782 2nd. Fall Day

PHILIPPIANS 2:6 KJV "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:" (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

Also in John Five:1-30-47 Proof That Christ is Equal With God

1-9 Christ Heals The Impotent Man

1 After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.

3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.

4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.

6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.

8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.

9 And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.

Christ Breaks The Sabbath

10 The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.

11 He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.

12 Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?

13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.

14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

15 The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole.

16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.

Equality With God In Nature

17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Equality With God In Power

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

Equality With God In Authority

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Witness Of John The Baptist

31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.

34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

Witness Of The Works Of Christ

36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

Witness Of The Scriptures

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

41 I receive not honour from men.

42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.

46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Love, Walter and Debbie

Phil 2-1,9 (Humility)
Phil 2:1-9

1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
(NKJ)

Phil 2:5-13
6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
(NKJ)

xxx Jesus was explaining that when God is working through you it would be easy to get puffed up. But Jesus is teaching us how to stay humble. Remembering others can get aroused against us if they see God working through us. They will even call us God but we must remain humble. Knowing that we are not doing the works. But God is doing them through us. We must discipline ourselves to stay humble.

1 Cor 9:27
27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
(NKJ)

2 Cor 10:4-6
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.
(NKJ)

Are you saying Jesus lied here?

[Jhn 14:28 28 "You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming [back] to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.

Phil 2-1,9 (Humility)
Phil 2:1-9

1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
(NKJ)

Phil 2:5-13
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
(NKJ)

xxx Jesus was explaining that when God is working through you it would be easy to get puffed up. But Jesus is teaching us how to stay humble. Remembering others can get aroused against us if they see God working through us. They will even call us God but we must remain humble. Knowing that we are not doing the works. But God is doing them through us. We must discipline ourselves to stay humble.
This is a fantastic passage that explicitly points to the deity of Christ, that the Son is equal with the Father, yet, for the purposes of salvation, submitted himself to the Father. The context is humility, the humility we are to show one another as given in the example of Jesus. There is no greater example, and can never be a greater example, of humility than that of God making "Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men."

Some important points to note about this passage:

1. Jesus was in "the form of God." This is supported by John 1:1--"the Word was with God, and the Word was God." The NIV has a clearer rendering of what is meant in verse 6: "being in very nature God." The Expositor's Greek Testament and M. R. Vincent (Word Studies in the New Testament) agree. That Paul is referring to the divinity of Christ is without question.

2. He "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped"; that is, being in the form of God, being equal with the Father, did not consider that equality something to be "forcefully retained [or held onto]." The meaning is that anything to do with the appearance of his glory as God had to be let go of in order for the completion of his humiliation, which was necessary for man's salvation. Again, the NIV brings out the meaning a bit better: "did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage."

3. He, being Jesus, emptied himself. Firstly then, it was he who did the emptying. And, secondly, he emptied himself of something. That is, there is something that he emptied himself of something that was necessary in the taking on of a human form. Jesus willingly chose to take the form of a human for the salvation of mankind. Whatever Paul means here, and we must always be careful to not say more or less than what the Bible says, Jesus, as God Incarnate, still maintains his full deity in becoming truly and fully human.

4. In emptying himself, he took on the "form of a servant," "being born in the likeness of men"--this is what John 1:14 is speaking of. Paul is contrasting Jesus's "being born in the likeness of men" with being in the "form of God."

5. Being found in "human form"--again, as opposed to his having been in "the form of God"--he "humbled himself by becoming obedient."

JOHN 1-1 through 14
John 1:1-14

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Word of God is the power of God--Let there be light and there was light.

2 He was in the beginning with God.

Jesus watched God use His power.

3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

God made or created all things for Jesus.Through means reason for.

4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

In Jesus was the Words of life, from God.

5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Jesus came to share them words with the whole world.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

John the Baptist, came first to tell people of Jesus' coming.

7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.

Jesus came for a witness of the Words of life.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

Jesus was not the words, but was sent to bear witness of the words.

9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

these words are the true light which will deliver every man.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

Jesus was in the world, and the world was made for Him. And no one knew it.

11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.

He came first to the Jews and they rejected Him.

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

But the Gentiles believed Him, so He gave them the right to become children of God.

13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

God blinded the Jews and opened the eyes of the Gentiles.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
And the Word became power over the flesh.

And the Word of God began to work in the life of the Gentiles. And people seen it working. And they glorified God for sending the Word(power) that would change peoples lives.
John 1:15-18
15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.'"

John bore witness of Jesus coming.

16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.

We receive grace by believing Jesus for the grace that He received.

17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

The Word that is full of grace and truth came through Jesus from God.

18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
(NKJ)

No one has seen God, so Jesus couldnt be God because they seen Jesus. But Jesus has declared who God is because of Gods Word.

See also Tyndale Bible

JOHN 1-1 through 14
John 1:1-14

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Word of God is the power of God--Let there be light and there was light.

2 He was in the beginning with God.

Jesus watched God use His power.

3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

God made or created all things for Jesus.Through means reason for.

4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

In Jesus was the Words of life, from God.

5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Jesus came to share them words with the whole world.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

John the Baptist, came first to tell people of Jesus' coming.

7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.

Jesus came for a witness of the Words of life.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

Jesus was not the words, but was sent to bear witness of the words.

9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

these words are the true light which will deliver every man.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

Jesus was in the world, and the world was made for Him. And no one knew it.

11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.

He came first to the Jews and they rejected Him.

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

But the Gentiles believed Him, so He gave them the right to become children of God.

13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

God blinded the Jews and opened the eyes of the Gentiles.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
And the Word became power over the flesh.

And the Word of God began to work in the life of the Gentiles. And people seen it working. And they glorified God for sending the Word(power) that would change peoples lives.
John 1:15-18
15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.'"

John bore witness of Jesus coming.

16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.

We receive grace by believing Jesus for the grace that He received.

17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

The Word that is full of grace and truth came through Jesus from God.

18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
(NKJ)

No one has seen God, so Jesus couldnt be God because they seen Jesus. But Jesus has declared who God is because of Gods Word.

See also Tyndale Bible
John's prologue is so rich with meaning, especially when one looks at the Greek.

The first thing to keep in mind is that context determines meaning. This is especially important to keep in mind when we speak of Jesus, as words or phrases (Son of God, for example) have a different meaning when applied to him than when applied to others. The whole point of John's prologue (1:1-18) is to state who the Word is. So, let's look a bit more closely at 1:1.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (ESV)

The word "was" is the Greek en, which is a form of eimi (I Am), and denotes a continuous action in the past. That is, when the beginning began (creation), the Word was already in existence; it is absolute existence, eternal preexistence.

Then when we look at "with God," it is the Greek pros that is translated as "with." But that doesn't convey the full meaning; it isn't merely speaking of being together or near. It expresses direction towards, as in relationship and communion, implying intimacy.

"Was God" means that the Word was divine in nature. Again, this is about the logos, who the logos is, not who God is.

Even apart from the Greek, if logos is simply spoken words or God's power, then none of John 1:1 makes sense, but the Greek makes it all the more clear. It is very difficult to see how spoken words could have existed for eternity past, or how they or God's power can be said to be in intimate relationship with God, or how they can be said to be divine in nature. Only God has existed for eternity past, only a person could be in intimate relationship with another, and only God is divine in nature.

In verse 2, we once again see that when the beginning began, the logos was already in existence. Verse 3 is clear that the logos was not a thing that was made, or the verse contradicts itself. Verse 4 continues the discussion of the logos, saying that life was in him, the light of men.

Note that after John 1:5, the discussion briefly changes to John the Baptist, who "came as a witness, to bear witness about the light" (vvs 7-8). This "true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world" (vs 9). Then, verse 10 links back to verse 3 by saying "the world was made through him." Verse 12 states that "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."

Verse 14, goes back to mentioning the Word--"the Word became flesh"--confirming that the Word is also the true light, who is the Son. All of this points clearly to Jesus being the per-Incarnate Word, in intimate relationship with God and yet also being God, as verse 1 states.

This shows us that the light clearly refers to Jesus, and the light was the pre-Incarnate Word who was coming into the world, of whom John witnessed, and in whom alone believing in his name gives on "the right to become children of God." This is exactly why John would write, as was revealed to him, that Jesus's name is The Word of God (Rev 19:13).

It is all very consistent, and it all points to the deity of Jesus, that the Son of God is fully and truly God.

Back