Christian Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• We stand with Ukraine. Please consider supporting Ukraine through a qualified organization.
  • Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about Infallibility

Alfred Persson

2022 Supporter
Please don't declare this an impossible hypothetical. Entertain for a moment it could happen:

Its the End Time and the False Christ appears in the form of "the man of sin", a man who condones all sorts of sin while working Christ-like miracles:

3 Let no man deceive you by any means, for unless there come a revolt first, and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition,
4 Who opposeth, and is lifted up above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself as if he were God. (2 Thess. 2:3-4 DRA)

As the Church is the Temple of God this text says the "Man of Sin" False Christ will appear during a time of revolt against God, and in the Church he will be revealed.

If the pope declared the "man of sin" is "the Christ", could an individual Catholic who realized from reading Holy Scripture that couldn't be, refuse to follow him?

Can he reject the pope for Scripture?

I know Catholics do disagree with their pope on many things, especially the present pope. Is it possible a Catholic can disagree with the pope about the appearance of a miracle worker who claims to be Christ?

Or will they choose to follow their conscience, educated by the Bible?

This is not a Protestant versus Catholic question, I am convinced Protestant Churches have already revolted enough against God's Word they will receive the "man of sin" as Christ. He will be "woke" and very accepting of the LBFPQ...XYZ community, no matter the perversion.

Last edited:

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
From
Houston Texas
As the Church is the Temple of God this text says the "Man of Sin" False Christ will appear during a time of revolt against God, and in the Church he will be revealed.

The Church is indeed the Temple of God, however that doesn’t dismiss there being a literal Temple in Jerusalem.

Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

• so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

The antichrist will reveal himself as the messiah, to the unbelieving Jews who are waiting for him, which is why they are wanting to build a new temple in Jerusalem.

The antichrist is a man, and is not omnipresent, being able to “sit” in the universal body of Christ throughout the world.

https://m.jpost.com/tags/third-temple

The Third Temple refers to a hypothetical rebuilt Temple in Jerusalem, which would succeed the first and second, destroyed in 587BCE and 70CE respectively.

The idea of a rebuilt Third Temple is sacred in Judaism, particularly to Orthodox Jews, as it is believed that it will occur in tandem with the arrival of the Messiah, and only then will the sacrificial practices of the First and Second Temple be reinstated.

JLB

Alfred Persson

2022 Supporter
I consider that interpretation of the "Temple of God" impossible. The Holy Spirit would not call a Christ rejecting Temple the "Temple of God."

He left the Temple in Jerusalem when Christ died on the cross:

50 And Jesus again crying with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And behold the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top even to the bottom, and the earth quaked, and the rocks were rent. (Matt. 27:50-51 DRA) Compare 1 Kings 19:11

He certainly won't return to Jerusalem to inhabit a Temple built by Christ rejecting Jews.

Confirming this, Paul NEVER calls the Temple in Jerusalem the "Temple of God", only the church (1 Cor. 3:16-17; 6:19; 2 Cor. 6:16; Eph. 2:21).

So you evaded my question.

If the pope declared a "Christ-like" evangelist is "the Christ", but you know that is impossible because Christ's coming will be like a lightning storm in heaven everyone will see:

For as lightning cometh out of the east, and appeareth even into the west: so shall the coming of the Son of man be. (Matt. 24:27 DRA)

Would a Catholic follow his "infallible pope" or the Bible?

Mungo

Catholicism Overseer
Catholicism Overseer
From
England
Please don't declare this an impossible hypothetical. Entertain for a moment it could happen:

Its the End Time and the False Christ appears in the form of "the man of sin", a man who condones all sorts of sin while working Christ-like miracles:

3 Let no man deceive you by any means, for unless there come a revolt first, and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition,
4 Who opposeth, and is lifted up above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself as if he were God. (2 Thess. 2:3-4 DRA)

If the pope declared the "man of sin" is "the Christ", could an individual Catholic who realized from reading Holy Scripture that couldn't be, refuse to follow him?

Can he reject the pope for Scripture?

I know Catholics do disagree with their pope on many things, especially the present pope. Is it possible a Catholic can disagree with the pope about the appearance of a miracle worker who claims to be Christ?

Or will they choose to follow their conscience, educated by the Bible?

This is not a Protestant versus Catholic question, I am convinced Protestant Churches have already revolted enough against God's Word they will receive the "man of sin" as Christ. He will be "woke" and very accepting of the LBFPQ...XYZ community, no matter the perversion.
I think you misunderstand what "papal infallibility means".

The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus gifted a share in his infallibility to his Church. Therefore what the Church solemnly teaches, concerning faith or morals is true.

In doing this the Church draws on what God has taught either that which has been committed to writing (Scriptures) or passed on orally (Tradition).
I won't go into the evidence for this now because I'm explaining what the Catholic Church teaches.

The Church teaches that "The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals." (CCC 891).

Such an infallible declaration is very rare. In the last 200 years there have only been two such declarations, one in 1854 (the Immaculate Conception) and 1950 (Assumption of Mary).

Such declarations are only made after consulting the Bishops throughout the world. It's not, as I once heard Richard Dawkins claim, "The Pope wakes up one day and over breakfast decides to infallibly declare a new doctrine which Catholics must believe" ( or words to that effect).

But going back to the question - Catholics would not be bound to believe what the Pope declares in this example because, for a start it, does not concern faith or morals.

Alfred Persson

2022 Supporter
I think you misunderstand what "papal infallibility means".

The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus gifted a share in his infallibility to his Church. Therefore what the Church solemnly teaches, concerning faith or morals is true.

In doing this the Church draws on what God has taught either that which has been committed to writing (Scriptures) or passed on orally (Tradition).
I won't go into the evidence for this now because I'm explaining what the Catholic Church teaches.

The Church teaches that "The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals." (CCC 891).

Such an infallible declaration is very rare. In the last 200 years there have only been two such declarations, one in 1854 (the Immaculate Conception) and 1950 (Assumption of Mary).

Such declarations are only made after consulting the Bishops throughout the world. It's not, as I once heard Richard Dawkins claim, "The Pope wakes up one day and over breakfast decides to infallibly declare a new doctrine which Catholics must believe" ( or words to that effect).

But going back to the question - Catholics would not be bound to believe what the Pope declares in this example because, for a start it, does not concern faith or morals.
Thanks for correcting my misimpression.