Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question on the Holy Spirit

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JaneH

Hello, we're going to discuss the Holy Spirit tomorrow in our home group. I have a couple questions that one of our newer members has asked: Matthew 1:18 - I have checked my NIV, ESV, and NLT and it's similar in all, but the study notes do not mention this bit. Where it says "Mary...became pregnant by the Holy Spirit". I've read this verse many times but only when someone questioned it, did I REALLY read it. So, was Jesus actually conceived by the Holy Spirit? Was the Holy Spirit mentioned only because he is part of the Trinity? In other words, why the Holy Spirit?

Also, another question that came up (later of course) if Jesus was actually God, who did He pray to?

Thanks for any references or opinions.

The way I understand the verse, Mary became pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit. I do not believe the Scriptures imply that the Holy Spirit had sexual relations with Mary. It's like when God created the world, He said, and it was done.

To your second question, yes Jesus is fully God but He was also fully man when He came to earth in human form. So who was He praying to? Scripture tells us. In Matthew 26:36-46, Mark 14:32-42, Luke 22:39-46, and also John, chapter 17, it says He prayed to the Father.

LSo, was Jesus actually conceived by the Holy Spirit? Was the Holy Spirit mentioned only because he is part of the Trinity? In other words, why the Holy Spirit?

God is Spirit, so he did not have sex with Mary, rather he used his method of interacting with the world, the Spirit'.
Look at genesis, we seetheSpirit mo I g over the waters else where we have the Spirit depicted as fantastic wheels.
God cause Mary tobecome pregnant by using his power viabthe Spirit.

Who did Jesus pray to? To God the Father.
Look at John's account of Jesus's baptism.
There we have Jesus, God the Father speaking from heaven and the Spirit decending on Jesus, like above.

Luke 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

In how I understand it as in the Holy Spirit overshadowing Mary is like that of Genesis 1:1-2 as God only had to speak it to be done as in the Trinity, like Jesus, have always been with no beginning and no end as in Alpha and Omega all being co-equal with God as being God's Spirit.

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Hi jane, excellent question. It was supernatural act by the GODHEAD. Their was no sperm. Joseph had no intercourse with Mary. John chapter 3 document, every one must be born one time in the flesh, both female and Male. Jesus was special case. He is special. We don't make part of His shadow, were all sinners who must repent sins to God for forgiveness. Matthew 1:25. And knew her not till she had brought forth her first born son: and he called His name Jesus. OU in Greek means = Not. John 10:30. I and the Father are one. Jesus is equal to Godhead. Jesus the lawgiver and judge and can forgive sins by repentance. Satan started a rebellion in first earth age, and tried to get the Mercy seat, which Jesus sits on, documentation, revelation chapter 12 and Jeremiah chapter 4. Zechariah 3 is about Joshua, that's Jesus,is the high priest melchizedek. Lord of hosts talks with Jesus. Godhead is giving Jesus complete authority. When Jesus returns 7th trump, this starts the millennium, were in our spirtual bodys, done with flesh body. Back to zechariah chapter 3. 3;9. Is stone with seven eyes placed before Joshua. That's 7,000 of God's Elect. Read Roman's chapter 11. God has reserved seven thousand men/women who will not bow knee to baal [antichrist]. Gods elect are not going to worship antichrist. When the millennium starts at 7th trump, Jesus will appoint His election to different offices. Some are priests, others judges and ambassadors to the gentiles. Zechariah chapter 3 document Jesus has the authority to appoint who ever he wishes into His administration. Gods Elect have destiny, their predestined. Read Roman's chapter 8, its about the Election. Their chosen before foundation of world, predestined. Back to Jeremiah chapter 4. Satan led a rebellion in first earth age, one third of God's children followed satan. It resulted in a War. Satan lost, and is sentenced to go into lake of fire, Ezekiel chapter 28 to document. God judged His election on the spot, in the first earth age. So the election are predestined to reign with Jesus during the millennium. The rest of the people have free will. Majority don't have holy spirit, they have spirit of stupor, read Roman's chapter 11. The election have holy spirit, many people have spirit of stupor for their protection. Revelation chapter 20. Those with free will, spirtualty dead, will be taught during millennium. I hope this helps. Take care.

Thanks for all the replies. They were very helpful. I'm still confused about the exact nature of Jesus when he was on earth. I know he was fully man, so he did have flesh and bones and blood, as well as making footprints and casting a shadow on a sunny day. But if he was fully man for the 30-something years on earth, by praying to God the father, the implication is He must have temporarily not been part of the Trinity, or else he'd be praying to Himself.

I should be clear that my confusion is not a lack of faith. I don't lie awake at night pondering this. There is much about the nature of the Trinity that is a mystery and I accept it as such. I'm just curious.

if Jesus was actually God, who did He pray to?

Jesus is the Lord God, who became flesh.

He taught us to pray to the Father in His name.

And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you. John 16:23

JLB

Thanks for all the replies. They were very helpful. I'm still confused about the exact nature of Jesus when he was on earth. I know he was fully man, so he did have flesh and bones and blood, as well as making footprints and casting a shadow on a sunny day. But if he was fully man for the 30-something years on earth, by praying to God the father, the implication is He must have temporarily not been part of the Trinity, or else he'd be praying to Himself.

I should be clear that my confusion is not a lack of faith. I don't lie awake at night pondering this. There is much about the nature of the Trinity that is a mystery and I accept it as such. I'm just curious.
Jesus was asking Godhead to take away cup of wrath. That's the reason Jesus was praying to Godhead. Jesus doesn't want to excute wrath on the disobedient children when he comes 7th trump. Gods Elect are not in this category. Understand, the majority will worship antichrist, and the cup of wrath is directed at them, not to the Election. Jesus is equal to Godhead, but the Godhead has the final say. Jesus will carry out the cup of wrath at the 7th trump. Malachi chapter 3 documentation, the difference between obedience and disobedient children. The cup of wrath is directed at the children of disobedience. I hope this helps. Take care.

Hello, we're going to discuss the Holy Spirit tomorrow in our home group. I have a couple questions that one of our newer members has asked: Matthew 1:18 - I have checked my NIV, ESV, and NLT and it's similar in all, but the study notes do not mention this bit. Where it says "Mary...became pregnant by the Holy Spirit". I've read this verse many times but only when someone questioned it, did I REALLY read it. So, was Jesus actually conceived by the Holy Spirit? Was the Holy Spirit mentioned only because he is part of the Trinity? In other words, why the Holy Spirit?

Also, another question that came up (later of course) if Jesus was actually God, who did He pray to?

Yes, she was conceived by the Holy Spirit. This was necessary because Adam's seed received a condemnation after the Garden of Eden incident. That all flesh born through Adam are sinners because they have his condemnation as soon as they are born and you can't have the condemnation unless you also carry that burden of sin. The redeemer (Christ) couldn't be under the same condemnation and still be a worthy of our redemption. Therefore, He had to be born of a virgin and not of Adam's seed.

God to Mary
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”

Mary to God
How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”

God to Mary - the how
The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called b the Son of God

Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.

That testimony is truth. Do not let any spirit or man cause you to doubt. You did read it. You also read Jesus stated He was Gods Son. You also read God speaking like that sound of thunder from above in regard to Jesus "This is my Son..."

2 Psalm in regard to Gods chosen anointed ruler

I will proclaim the Lord’s decree:

He said to me, “You are my son;
today I have become your father.
8 Ask me,
and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.
9 You will break them with a rod of iron
you will dash them to pieces like pottery.”

Hi there,

In reading about the Spirit throughout the entire Bible, we will discover that it is the Holy Spirit who guides, leads, and performs "Work." One could say that the Spirit has specific responsibilities. Consider the remarkable passage below regarding the Spirit:

Isaiah 34:14-16 NIV - "Desert creatures will meet with hyenas, and wild goats will bleat to each other; there the night creatures will also lie down and find for themselves places of rest. 15 The owl will nest there and lay eggs, she will hatch them, and care for her young under the shadow of her wings; there also the falcons will gather, each with its mate. 16 Look in the scroll of the LORD and read: None of these will be missing, not one will lack her mate. For it is his mouth that has given the order, and his Spirit will gather them together."

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Jane, I have to tell you in love that neither the NIV, ESV, or the NLT are God's Words. In english God's Word is preserved (and that perfectly) for us in the KJV. And in the KJV, Matthew 1:18 is written this way:

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

And this is the truth. Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. And he was made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. He was conceived by the Holy Ghost. Making the Holy Ghost his Father. Because the Holy Ghost is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ called the Holy Ghost his Father, saying, Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Jane, I have to tell you in love that neither the NIV, ESV, or the NLT are God's Words. In english God's Word is preserved (and that perfectly) for us in the KJV. And in the KJV, Matthew 1:18 is written this way:

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Being great translations, the ESV and NIV say the very same thing as the KJV:

Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. (ESV)

Mat 1:18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. (NIV)

And this is the truth. Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. And he was made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. He was conceived by the Holy Ghost. Making the Holy Ghost his Father. Because the Holy Ghost is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ called the Holy Ghost his Father, saying, Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
At no point does Jesus call the Holy Spirit his Father, because that isn't the case. The Father is the Father, the Spirit is the Spirit. At no point should we conflate the two.

I have to tell you in love that neither the NIV, ESV, or the NLT are God's Words. In english God's Word is preserved (and that perfectly) for us in the KJV.
Everyone is welcome to use what ever version they like as even the 1611 KJV is not the first English version. This thread is not about what version one uses, but it is only the Holy Spirit that will teach us all truths.

Please feel free to start a new thread on Bible versions.

Colossians 2:8 kjv
8. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Colossians 2:9 kjv
9. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Jesus on earth:
Made in the image of God

1. Physically
Hidden man of heart Natural Heart pacemaker
Cerebellum looks like tree on either side of a spinal fluid river.

2. Spiritually
Healed
Raise dead
Work miracles

Being born of Mary took care of the Human physical part.

The Holy Spirit took care of the spiritual part Jesus manifested in his ministry.

Jesus was the fullness of the Godhead Fully.

eddif

Everyone is welcome to use what ever version they like as even the 1611 KJV is not the first English version. This thread is not about what version one uses, but it is only the Holy Spirit that will teach us all truths.

Please feel free to start a new thread on Bible versions.
Ok if the Spirit doesn't speak on His own but only what He hears then "who" is the guiding hand?

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

I think the guiding hand in this case was Christ Jesus who is the head of the body of Christ.
While they were serving the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set Barnabas and Saul apart for Me for the work to which I have called them.” Then, when they had fasted, prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

I think the Father is the guiding hand in this case.
‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me

The Father is seen as a person so how are you differentiating the Spirit of the Sovereign Lord from the Holy Spirit?

At no point does Jesus call the Holy Spirit his Father, because that isn't the case. The Father is the Father, the Spirit is the Spirit. At no point should we conflate the two.
I think the point was Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit.

But what you state is quite true. Jesus didn't refer to the Holy Spirit as His Father and I add nor His God nor did He pray to the Holy Spirit.

Ok if the Spirit doesn't speak on His own but only what He hears then "who" is the guiding hand?

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

I think the guiding hand in this case was Christ Jesus who is the head of the body of Christ.
While they were serving the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set Barnabas and Saul apart for Me for the work to which I have called them.” Then, when they had fasted, prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

I think the Father is the guiding hand in this case.
‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me

The Father is seen as a person so how are you differentiating the Spirit of the Sovereign Lord from the Holy Spirit?
John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

It's all God's word as given to Jesus and ten to His disciples and through the Holy Spirit that teaches us all truths. Jesus nor the Holy Spirit can speak anything above other than what God speaks to them and through them.

John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

It's all God's word as given to Jesus and ten to His disciples and through the Holy Spirit that teaches us all truths. Jesus nor the Holy Spirit can speak anything above other than what God speaks to them and through them.
Jesus stated the HS "only" speaks what He hears not on His own.

The Son of Man spoke things on His own. The message He gave wasn't His own but not everything He spoke about was that message. My Lord answers prayers. I don't pray to the HS.

In this case it can be seen as the Spirit and power of the Most High overshadowing Mary. Making the one Jesus states is His God also the Father of the Son of Man.

The Fathers plan and will.
and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”...

The Son of God the Father

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.

Back