Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions about the bible.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Curious

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?
Yes.
How can you discount one part of God's miraculous work and still believe anything else is true?

Ha, are you serious? Go take a look at our Science forum lol!
I personally believe that science has the best understanding of the age of the earth and how species have changed over time and struggle to see how the genesis account could be literal (but that is just my opinion). So, there are some Christians who do believe Genesis is literal and others that don't? So, as Hopeful pointed out, how can you measure which part of the Bible are to be accepted as literal and which are allegorical? I do get that Jesus used allegory, for example, Jonah and the great fish in Matthew 12.

Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis ?
Catholics don't have to believe. In fact to my knowledge Catholics don't have to believe everything in the Bible. Most importantly you need to believe that God became man through Jesus to save us from ourselves.

So, as Hopeful pointed out, how can you measure which part of the Bible are to be accepted as literal and which are allegorical
Catholic Bible commentaries might help. I was taught recently that each writer in the Bible uses uses different strategies to get a spiritual truth across. Spiritual truths are more important than historical truths imo.

Yes
What other questions do you have?

I personally believe that science has the best understanding of the age of the earth and how species have changed over time and struggle to see how the genesis account could be literal (but that is just my opinion). So, there are some Christians who do believe Genesis is literal and others that don't? So, as Hopeful pointed out, how can you measure which part of the Bible are to be accepted as literal and which are allegorical? I do get that Jesus used allegory, for example, Jonah and the great fish in Matthew 12.
There will always be people who call themselves Christians that don't believe everything in the Bible.

Catholics don't have to believe. In fact to my knowledge Catholics don't have to believe everything in the Bible. Most importantly you need to believe that God became man through Jesus to save us from ourselves.
Wrong again my friend.
romanist catholics say millions of hail marys before they die and hopefully she wasn't too busy and heard their prayers and then remembered to mention them to Jesus.

Again, I am a little confused. Matthew, Mark & Luke say nothing about Jesus being God (but I maybe wrong) , whereas John does. It surprises me that Matthew, Mark & Luke would omit such an important fact. Again, I have only read the bible once, unlike Christians who have read the bible many times. Can you show me what I have missed? Thanks.

Again, I am a little confused. Matthew, Mark & Luke say nothing about Jesus being God (but I maybe wrong) , whereas John does. It surprises me that Matthew, Mark & Luke would omit such an important fact. Again, I have only read the bible once, unlike Christians who have read the bible many times. Can you show me what I have missed? Thanks.
Hope you are not pretending to be interested in Christianity. But actually trying to prove Christians to be stupid.
I don't mind trying to help if you are a genuine seeker. And I'm not a scripture scholar anyway .

Last edited:
So, you believe that Jonah was swallowed by a big fish and that when Jesus talked about this story he believed it to be true? By the way, I am not here to debate, II just want to learn and understand. Thanks.
No I don't think it was an historical event but had important theological truths we can learn from. It was still useful and important.

Hope you are not pretending to be interested in Christianity. But actually trying to prove Christians to be stupid.
I don't mind trying to help if you are a genuine seeker. And I'm not a scripture scholar anyway .
No, I wouldn't call myself a seeker, I just want to understand what Christians believe. I come from a secular household and have had no religious upbringing. I don't believe Christians are any more stupid than the rest of humanity.

Back