Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
E

Ender

Hello, I have a few questions involving the physical and metaphysical, thought vs action, and things like that. I don't mean to offened, just to question. My background in christianity is reading the bible for myself, and having no one explain or ask me anytihng. I've taken everything compleatly to heart. I'm just looking for the truth, not for opinios, emotional responses, or thought up facts.

1.What is it that defines us as "Human"?
First of all, if humans are to obey god, what is it that makes us human? (please dont qoute "made in gods image" because there are to many people that look different for that to be a viable answer) technicaly we are the same as the wall. Everything around us, including you is made of matter. Our brain and our ideas even emotions are a chemical balance. Electic pulses trigger response. but what part of that is us? What is it that defines us as "Human"?

2. Does god control anything?
God repeatedly says that he (im using he for traditions sake, even though i know it is imposible that god is either female or male. he doesnt reproduce so its an invalid arguement) has givin mankind free will. How then can we justify saying that god made us or allowed us to do anything? if what goes on in our brain is what our will is based on, doesnt that mean our will is just electricity and chemical reactions?

3. What makes God "God"
Realise that this is a very important question. And with it comes the question "Why should we praise him?". Well what has he done? The theory that everything came from nothing is scientificaly impossible. Even Einstein knew that there had to be something else to physics. You have to remember that god made the world in seven days. he doesnt continue to make it now, he has let it be since then. God is our creator.

4. is it a sin to find out how god did it?
If god made everything, didnt he make science too? If he really did create atoms and energy, doesnt that mean anything we can PROVE (by prove i mean actual fact not theory) should be related to how god did it? Shouldnt the goal of science to be deconstructing gods constuctions for future use? how is doing anything that involves furthering our understanding of gods creation have a morale value attached to it?

5. Is it better to be understanding or obey blindly?
If god is the truth, and you cearch long enough, should you end up with him? why is it then when questions are asked, religious people often claim heathen. (a person who does not acknowledge your god). If any question is asked, the very fact that you can ask that question is a testament to god. humans all to often take our intelligence for granted, and claim that it is folly. Did you know, that a bee's brain can recieve information faster than a super computer? Did you also know that it will never know that? Humans take apart, manipulate, understand, learn and build. thats all we do.

6. what is perfect? what is good? what is bad?
perfect is a human idea, a resualt of chemical flow in brain tissue. so is the idea of "good" and "bad". Emotions exist with in the brain too, dont forget. Is it really okay to let emotions and personal opinion decide on what is true in this universe? to me, truth is the most important thing, to important for one person, or even 100 generations of people to decide. if there is any universal "good and bad" or universal defenition of "perfect" its relitive, and therefore un-concrete. Truth is concrete. Be careful what you belive.

7. Does the bible actually say anything that pertains to the reason for existing

8. What is the meaning behind "Treat others as you wish to be treated"
You have to realise, some one who treats there self terribly (maybe becuase they like it) can treat otheres terribly and still folow this rule flawlessly.

9. What is Terrible? isnt it relitive?
question 8 refers to being mean. but isnt mean based on opinion? and whats truely defines mean? is it thought or action? If some one you know treats every one like they are gold, and you dont, doesnt that mean in comparison you are a mean person? if in a society its customary to do what ever is asked at all times from a neighbor, and you just visit for a day and dont follow that rule, doesnt that make you the worst person? Be careful what you accept as normal, and what your perception of reality is.

10. How do you serve god? what is serving god?
Personaly, in my expeirence, people have told me that if im not spreading the word of god, im not doing gods work. i know thats gods commision for us, but if we dont do it, are we really not serving god? Also how do you measure success for serving god? i could convert one person and say i have served god. If your done when you feel like you are done, or you know your done, is that really a reliable tool to measure it by?

11. What is your walk with god? is it really a walk? is there a begining and is there an end?
If there is an end to the walk, how do you know? presonaly, i belive in god, im sure he exists beyond a doubt. I know what he has done, is there anywhere i can go from there that isnt based on biasd feelings of incompleteness? what if i am at the so called "end"? how do you know im not?

12. What is the point of reading the bible over and over?
After reading through it once is there a point in studying it? Shouldnt you try to be efficient and learn the core message and understand it? you can read it all you want, but if you dont get it, your not going to. maybe you will, but cross out the maybe and take it literally. stop trying to find a deeper meaning.

13. Just because it was right years ago, does it make it right now?
remember that being right is very important here. you cant mess around when it comes to truth. just because it was a law back then, even if god said it, does it make it applicalbe now? why? what if god never said it was to be followed forever? just because it happend back then does it make it right? does that mean tradition must be folowed at all time? was it right or wrong before god said it? how do you know?

I will try to answer any questions. Remebre to gaurd yourself, and seek truth, not happiness. Dont do what makes you feel good about yourself, but what you think is the closest you can come to the truth. if you dont know it, seek it. Thank you.

Ender said:
Hello, I have a few questions involving the physical and metaphysical, thought vs action, and things like that. I don't mean to offened, just to question. My background in christianity is reading the bible for myself, and having no one explain or ask me anytihng. I've taken everything compleatly to heart. I'm just looking for the truth, not for opinios, emotional responses, or thought up facts.
Ok, hello! :wave. Welcome to the forums. So are you a Christian? Or are you still searching? (It does help answer your questions).

You've raised lots of big questions, so I'll attempt answering, but if you put them all out there all at once, they may not all be addressed.

Ender said:
1.What is it that defines us as "Human"?
First of all, if humans are to obey god, what is it that makes us human? (please dont qoute "made in gods image" because there are to many people that look different for that to be a viable answer) technicaly we are the same as the wall. Everything around us, including you is made of matter. Our brain and our ideas even emotions are a chemical balance. Electic pulses trigger response. but what part of that is us? What is it that defines us as "Human"?
I'll say it: we're made in God's image. Yes we all look different, but we are not physically made in God's image, as God is considere a spiritual being. We are spiritually made in God's image.
I seem to remember stumbling accross a good thread that touches on this, but can't seem to find it. :chin.
Genesis 1:2 shows us that God is spiritual, not physical: "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

Ender said:
2. Does god control anything?
God repeatedly says that he (im using he for traditions sake, even though i know it is imposible that god is either female or male. he doesnt reproduce so its an invalid arguement) has givin mankind free will. How then can we justify saying that god made us or allowed us to do anything? if what goes on in our brain is what our will is based on, doesnt that mean our will is just electricity and chemical reactions?
I find this illogical.
Here's my thoughts: God created us. Fact. I could post the whole Bible on here to prove my point. But I'll just post this from Genesis 1, verses 26-28
" 26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." "

So God created us and gave us free will. Which means he doesn't 'make' us do stuff, although he likes us to obey his commands. Put yourself in God's shoes.

Think about this.

Ender said:
3. What makes God "God"
Realise that this is a very important question. And with it comes the question "Why should we praise him?". Well what has he done? The theory that everything came from nothing is scientificaly impossible. Even Einstein knew that there had to be something else to physics. You have to remember that god made the world in seven days. he doesnt continue to make it now, he has let it be since then. God is our creator.
What has he done? He's created us. That should be enough for you.

The theory that everything came from nothing is not impossible - firstly it did happen, it says so in the Bible - go and read Genesis chapter 1. What do you make of the big bang theory btw?

I don't believe God made the world in seven literal days - there's too much scientific evidence going against the literal day theory. It has been mentioned in the Bible in numerous places that time has no meaning to God. Rather, the writer of Genesis (Moses) was instructed by God when he wrote the book to divide up the creation into seven segments, and they were divided up into seven days. Seems pretty logical.

Ender said:
4. is it a sin to find out how god did it?
If god made everything, didnt he make science too? If he really did create atoms and energy, doesnt that mean anything we can PROVE (by prove i mean actual fact not theory) should be related to how god did it? Shouldnt the goal of science to be deconstructing gods constuctions for future use? how is doing anything that involves furthering our understanding of gods creation have a morale value attached to it?
God did and does everything, but not necessarily directly. He can do it through us, for instance, we know God has a plan. So then why do we need to bother to evangelise to our friends? The reason is that we are tools in Gods plan. Through us the plan can be executed.

Science is a man-made attempt to explain things.

Ender said:
5. Is it better to be understanding or obey blindly?
If god is the truth, and you cearch long enough, should you end up with him? why is it then when questions are asked, religious people often claim heathen. (a person who does not acknowledge your god). If any question is asked, the very fact that you can ask that question is a testament to god. humans all to often take our intelligence for granted, and claim that it is folly. Did you know, that a bee's brain can recieve information faster than a super computer? Did you also know that it will never know that? Humans take apart, manipulate, understand, learn and build. thats all we do.
Yes, to both of the first questions. I'll take the rest as a comment.

Ender said:
6. what is perfect? what is good? what is bad?
perfect is a human idea, a resualt of chemical flow in brain tissue. so is the idea of "good" and "bad". Emotions exist with in the brain too, dont forget. Is it really okay to let emotions and personal opinion decide on what is true in this universe? to me, truth is the most important thing, to important for one person, or even 100 generations of people to decide. if there is any universal "good and bad" or universal defenition of "perfect" its relitive, and therefore un-concrete. Truth is concrete. Be careful what you belive.
First off, you seem to be very involved with 'chemcial reactions' and science. Science definately cannot explain certain aspects of life.

Yes, be careful what you believe. And ask questions. But truth is not always the only thing you should be looking for. God gave us more than that for a reason.

Ender said:
7. Does the bible actually say anything that pertains to the reason for existing
I'll take this quote from http://www.valleyhighlands.com/Blogger/ ... tions.aspx - it says it pretty well:

"
Our purpose, according to the Word of God in Ephesians 2:7, is to be a demonstration of God's kindness that we did not deserve (his Grace). It says, "...that in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus...""

Ender said:
8. What is the meaning behind "Treat others as you wish to be treated"
You have to realise, some one who treats there self terribly (maybe becuase they like it) can treat otheres terribly and still folow this rule flawlessly.
Although, as you mentioned this rule can be 'abused' it probably was inteded for good, and it would apply that way for most of mankind. Pretty much what it is trying to get accross is love.

Ender said:
9. What is Terrible? isnt it relitive?
question 8 refers to being mean. but isnt mean based on opinion? and whats truely defines mean? is it thought or action? If some one you know treats every one like they are gold, and you dont, doesnt that mean in comparison you are a mean person? if in a society its customary to do what ever is asked at all times from a neighbor, and you just visit for a day and dont follow that rule, doesnt that make you the worst person? Be careful what you accept as normal, and what your perception of reality is.
What is terrible? Isn't it relative?
Well yes, I agree.

Ender said:
10. How do you serve god? what is serving god?
Personaly, in my expeirence, people have told me that if im not spreading the word of god, im not doing gods work. i know thats gods commision for us, but if we dont do it, are we really not serving god? Also how do you measure success for serving god? i could convert one person and say i have served god. If your done when you feel like you are done, or you know your done, is that really a reliable tool to measure it by?
First off - you're never 'done' serving God. You should serve God for ever, and if you are saved, you should want to. It should be a pleasure and a privellage.

Yes, we are commissioned to spread the word of God. There are other ways to serve God, but I consider that to be one of the 'main' ones. If we don't do this, then I suppose we aren't serving God.
But if you are saved, and you have heard the Good News, then wouldn't you want to spread it around, so that others can hear it too?

Ender said:
11. What is your walk with god? is it really a walk? is there a begining and is there an end?
If there is an end to the walk, how do you know? presonaly, i belive in god, im sure he exists beyond a doubt. I know what he has done, is there anywhere i can go from there that isnt based on biasd feelings of incompleteness? what if i am at the so called "end"? how do you know im not?
My walk with God is my relationship with him. My personal relationship. It is sometimes called a walk becasue it implies moving forward in the relationship. I'm not sure what you mean by at the so called end. The end is death, if you don't know Jesus. And if you do, then there is life. Simple.
Where do you go? Read the Bible, and read it with a Christian friend or pastor so they can explain it to you.
I personally only feel complete with God, btw.

Ender said:
12. What is the point of reading the bible over and over?
After reading through it once is there a point in studying it? Shouldnt you try to be efficient and learn the core message and understand it? you can read it all you want, but if you dont get it, your not going to. maybe you will, but cross out the maybe and take it literally. stop trying to find a deeper meaning.
The point of reading the Bible over and over is to gain a better understanding of it. The bible is a big book and reading it just a few times does not allow all the meanings to 'sink in'. It is God's Word, and it tells you how to live. So you should read it for that reason alone.
Well yes, we should understand the core message, but there are many other messages in it that are also important. If God wrote it down for us in the Bible, then surely it must be worth reading?

Sometimes there is a deeper meaning to a text than what just appears. For instance, in the book of Revelation, it is largely considered to be lots of metaphors, but not literal things.
However, the 'core message' of the Bible is pretty simple.

Ender said:
13. Just because it was right years ago, does it make it right now?
remember that being right is very important here. you cant mess around when it comes to truth. just because it was a law back then, even if god said it, does it make it applicalbe now? why? what if god never said it was to be followed forever? just because it happend back then does it make it right? does that mean tradition must be folowed at all time? was it right or wrong before god said it? how do you know?
God never said it wasn't to be followed forever, he never specified an end. So we must continue to follow the teachings of the Bible. Tradition for the sake of tradition doesn't mean that we should follow it. Following it becasue we want to and becasue God said so is a good reason. It needs to have a heart and a substence.

Some of the things in the Bible are cultural, and that's obvious, but most of it we can apply it to today, especially the New Testemant.

---

I will say again that you have asked a lot of big questions, and I have attempted to answer all of them (probably very poorly) but if you want better answers, it is a good idea to ask them one at a time in sepearte threads, so you can get better and more deeper answers. Threads tend to get off topic pretty easily ordinarily, but with all these questions it is inevitable.

Anyway, that's my :twocents

Back