Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Request for change to 1.11 "All bible verses and passages must be referenced"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1.11: All Bible verses and passages must be referenced (NASB, NIV, etc.) unless it is public domain like the KJV, YLT, etc.
Info on copyrights here:

After having discovered a fairly serious mistranslation in the NIV, and that having been responsible for having misled the reader of it, it has reminded me of the value of being specific in the citation of the origin of information. It would have been much quicker to identify the cause of the confusion, and less embarrassing for the one having been responsible for it, if the translation was included with the quote at the time it was used. There is no guarantee that translations in the Public Domain will be necessarily accurate, so it is best policy to ensure that any reference to scripture that is used for evidence should also specify a particular translation to ensure that the words being read by the reader are the same as the words being submitted by the writer.

In this case, the writer had assumed that when I clicked the link it would take me to read the NIV translation, whereas in fact because of the automatic URL unfurling feature, I was taken to read the NKJV translation. As a result, the words I saw were not the same words that the writer had expected me to find at that location. It could have been easily avoided by having specified the translation alongside the passage location, and I think that is the better purpose for the requirements of this rule.

My suggestion is to change the rule to the following words:

1.11: All Bible verses and passages must be referenced (NASB, NIV, etc.)
Info on copyrights here:

I wasn't embarrassed. Is it expected that participants be biblical scholars? Lol.
I'm glad you have been guarded from that. Some people might have not been able to so easily let go of the passage they had picked. I'm glad you're also not offended by my assumption that you might have been embarrassed, it's only human nature, but God gives strength to the humble and He opposes the proud. You did a good job today ?

I'm glad you have been guarded from that. Some people might have not been able to so easily let go of the passage they had picked. I'm glad you're also not offended by my assumption that you might have been embarrassed, it's only human nature, but God gives strength to the humble and He opposes the proud. You did a good job today ?

I'm an ignorant, wretched, person who has no right to feel embarrassed about my plethora of shortcomings.

Maybe this was divinely orchestrated from the beginning? I only say that because the NIV and it's shortcomings especially vs the NKJV was divinely demonstrated to me. It's actually a great testimony and I have two friends which can both attest to the truth of what happened. What happened was, Friend #1 bought me a nice big leather bound NIV Bible so we could bible study together and both have the same translation. Over time, friend #2 came to visit and remarked about my new NIV bible and how it has mistranslations and a lot of missing verses. So I said show me some. So we sat there for over an hour looking up various verses and comparing the NIV vs a KJV that I have. And bottom line is everything he said is right.

Over time, I'm on the forum here and there was a thread about which translation is best. And somebody must have said something good about the NIV version because I felt like replying and giving my two cents worth about how I know that the NIV has many literally just missing verses that are in all other bibles and the way it translates certain things is just weird and wrong. So I did. And of our other members said hey Edward, how about giving us a few examples of missing verses? I said sure, gimme a few.

I couldn't remember any reference verses for him so I gave friend #2 a phone call because I remember that he had a lot of missing verses right off the top of his head in his memory. He was at work and busy but this was important so he did give me 3 or 4 which I wrote down like I should have been taking notes on the day he showed me. Now I didn't just transcribe the scripture references and post them to the forum. I was a responsible and diligent forum member and sat down to look them all up and refresh my memory and to make sure my post is accurate in all respects. (Lol) And then something weird happened. When I opened my NIV bible and began looking up my scriptures, I found that all of them that were supposed to be there were in fact there. There was no missing verses! What's going on here?

I didn't want to bug friend #2 at work again so I just googled missing verses in the NIV and hit the jackpot. It had a list of missing verses that was incredibly long and gave me much to work with. Ok let's look up some of these ones...except all of these verses purported to be missing were all in my bible. All of them. I spent easily a couple hours looking up scriptures. This blew my mind and I didn't know what to think. I was exasperated at this point and closed my NIV bible and pushed it back on the table and just sat back and began muttering to the Lord, Lord, what's going on here? Why can't I find any of these? And my eyes ran across the back of the bible and it was like it punched me in the face. Right on the side in big gold letters, it says "NKJV" .... (Tilt). It's always a memorable moment when you get to see a glitch in the matrix, lol.

What am I doing here talking about missing verses in my NIV bible when I have a NKJV bible? Waitaminute, it was NIV. Me and friend #2 had a bible study about it with it. This was now more important than not bugging a friend at work. I called friend #2. Am I going insane or did we look up missing verses in my bible and what version was it? He's like, Ed are you high, it's a NIV bible of course we did that. Ok then, I let him get back to work and hung up. So I didn't imagine anything. This was real and the only explanation for what happened is that our Lord obviously wanted me to have a NKJV more than he wanted me to have an NIV! Apparently, Jesus gives a hearty endorsement to the NKJV and now I have one too!

I thumbed through it and wow, I have a few verses in it that were underlined and a very few that were highlighted and margin notes, all of these were still in place in my new bible. So what I did pretty much was to in faith to go ahead and post the verses both from friend #2 and google to the forum and also this testimony of the occurrence of what happened. My NIV bible was supernaturally changed into a NKJV bible and there are two others which can attest to this fact. I did wonder why the Lord did that. It certainly wasn't anything that I had prayed for. I can only surmise that our Lord doesn't like the NIV translation (because it's incomplete and otherwise inaccurate!) He must have known that our forum thread about translations was coming up? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh, I'll need your credit card number now...just kidding lol.

Back