Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Revelation 1:1-3 Seldom examined verses

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servantsa the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. 3Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

The start of any letter in the Bible states clearly who the writing is intended to reach. This is clear…..except when many read Revelation.

But if we read the words we see the writer and Jesus INTENDED his servants UNDERSTAND what they were about to read. It was NOT intended to be a mystery to those who received these writings. Now which servants?

Obviously the ones receiving the writings living when John was writing. How do we know? It says he wanted to show his servants what would soon take place. Soon doesn’t mean 2000+ years.

Now before you tell me God doesn’t understand what “soon”means to us but only what it means to Him which is essentially nothing (1000 years = 1 day to Him,) the intention was that they, those readers, understand. The book was not supposed to be sealed but open. If a mother tells her hungry children dinner is “soon” she is using “soon” as they understand it, not according to her ability to endure hungry several hours. God isn’t less of a communicator. He used “soon” as we understand it…and soon it was.

Lastly, it needs to be said that the Jewish expression “coming in the clouds” is used elsewhere in scripture to denote God’s judgement on a nation totally destroying it. That is what that metaphor means in the OT. It’s serious judgement accompanied by unspeakable suffering. This judgement happened in 70AD as Jesus said it would.

So Revelation was a book written to those believers in those churches and elsewhere who would suffer as described. It is for us to be amazed at the fulfillment as well as anticipate the final chapters when Jesus comes as when left, not on a horse with an armed entourage, but by Himself. Not angry or wrathful.

Maranatha!

1The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servantsa the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. 3Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

The start of any letter in the Bible states clearly who the writing is intended to reach. This is clear…..except when many read Revelation.

But if we read the words we see the writer and Jesus INTENDED his servants UNDERSTAND what they were about to read. It was NOT intended to be a mystery to those who received these writings. Now which servants?

Obviously the ones receiving the writings living when John was writing. How do we know? It says he wanted to show his servants what would soon take place. Soon doesn’t mean 2000+ years.

Now before you tell me God doesn’t understand what “soon”means to us but only what it means to Him which is essentially nothing (1000 years = 1 day to Him,) the intention was that they, those readers, understand. The book was not supposed to be sealed but open. If a mother tells her hungry children dinner is “soon” she is using “soon” as they understand it, not according to her ability to endure hungry several hours. God isn’t less of a communicator. He used “soon” as we understand it…and soon it was.

Lastly, it needs to be said that the Jewish expression “coming in the clouds” is used elsewhere in scripture to denote God’s judgement on a nation totally destroying it. That is what that metaphor means in the OT. It’s serious judgement accompanied by unspeakable suffering. This judgement happened in 70AD as Jesus said it would.

So Revelation was a book written to those believers in those churches and elsewhere who would suffer as described. It is for us to be amazed at the fulfillment as well as anticipate the final chapters when Jesus comes as when left, not on a horse with an armed entourage, but by Himself. Not angry or wrathful.

Maranatha!
Let us find the witnesses.

eddif

Interesting. It makes sense that soon would refer to the events of 70 AD and not something hundreds or thousands of years later.
Thanks for this!

I know the old testament uses precursors and foreshadowing a lot for events in the new testament.
Is Revelation and the events of 70 AD an example of that in the new testament?

I suppose this thread is a chance for presentation and the examination of information to happen.

eddif
I guess so. It mostly occurred to me that the opening lines say who the message is for (not us) and when the major events would start. They needed to know.

I know the old testament uses precursors and foreshadowing a lot for events in the new testament.
Is Revelation and the events of 70 AD an example of that in the new testament?
I believe so. I’ve heard everything in Revelation is mentioned in the OT but I, myself, cannot verify that.

Absolutely. But, those seeing the things long ago might not have understood the reality of the shadow they saw.

eddif
Except Jesus said the whole purpose was that they understood. He’s a good communicator when it comes to vital information so we can safely assume they understood quite well.

Maranatha!
So exactly what date are you saying the city new jerusalem came down from heaven from God?
I mean since you saying it took place in John's lifetime, you should tell us about the dates of the second resurection and when new jerusalem came down. What year was it?

I guess so. It mostly occurred to me that the opening lines say who the message is for (not us) and when the major events would start. They needed to know.
Revelation 22:6 kjv
6. And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

I wonder why Revelation starts and ends so much alike.

eddif

Revelation 22:6 kjv
6. And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

I wonder why Revelation starts and ends so much alike.

eddif
Probably because the message was really important and those receiving it needed to pay attention.

So exactly what date are you saying the city new jerusalem came down from heaven from God?
I mean since you saying it took place in John's lifetime, you should tell us about the dates of the second resurection and when new jerusalem came down. What year was it?
I didn’t say all of it occurred. The days of great tribulation (terrible times) occurred to them in their lifetime. We and they have no need of knowing when the Resurrection will occur, but death and destruction coming is something they needed to know.

The second coming and the Resurrection have not occurred yet.

I didn’t say all of it occurred. The days of great tribulation (terrible times) occurred to them in their lifetime. We and they have no need of knowing when the Resurrection will occur, but death and destruction coming is something they needed to know.

The second coming and the Resurrection have not occurred yet.
But you said that is was soon to take place in the first century. You explained who the message was for and you went through great detail as to what soon meant to you.
If those other things were meant for the people of the first century then the rest of the same letter would have been meant for them too.

You said soon mean soon. Not hundreds or thousands of years away.

Now your saying the message is soon but is thousands of years away. You just changed your stance faster than a politician needing votes.

Last edited:
The first soon to be done: IMHO
Get a letter out to the seven churches.

The preparation of the background information for the letter took years. Without a background the letter to the churches you have no information for a letter. So the churches have had from Pentecost / gentile inclusion (?) to have the facts about the churches.

The information about Jesus had happened previously. Years ago.

The mandate for the letter and content came to John.

So. Quickly a letter could be written. Not drug out over a long time, but efficiently and expedited it was written and sent.

Preparation for an event can take years, but the event itself does not have to be slow and developmental.

The prophecy leading to the Messiah was long and involved. The birth, ministry, suffering, death, resurrection, assention were rapid by comparison.

eddif

Maranatha!
Now according to your logic, the people who God is talking to or giving the message to, has to be who the message is intended for. For instance, if God tells a certain group of people that they are the chosen people, then it has to be them and no one else could that message be for.

So according to your logic. The people who are the chosen people above all other people's are the dead Israelites buried in the sand between Egypt and the Jordan River. It could not have been message for anyone else.
Isn't that correct?

I mean, how could he have been talking about anyone else?

Now according to your logic, the people who God is talking to or giving the message to, has to be who the message is intended for.

This is not my logic, it is how written communicate is done. If you wrote a letter to your senator, it isn’t my logic that the message is intended for your senator.
For instance, if God tells a certain group of people that they are the chosen people, then it has to be them and no one else could that message be for.

So you think that might mean anyone who likes the idea? What’s the alternative?
Please stop saying it’s my personal logic that messages addressed to particular people mean they’re for those people. It doesn’t make you look good.
The people who are the chosen people above all other people's are the dead Israelites buried in the sand between Egypt and the Jordan River. It could not have been message for anyone else.
Isn't that correct?
You need to read the story. All the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob including those survivors.
I mean, how could he have been talking about anyone else?
It wasn’t but you forgot that they had children.

Back