Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ruach ha'Kodesh Anointing vs Indwelling

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Packrat

Is there any difference between being anointed by the Holy Spirit and having the Spirit dwell within you? If there is could we all see supporting Scripture?

Re: Church Anointing vs Holy Spirit Indwelling

The word "anoint" usually means chose as it is used in this verse:

Luke 4:18 (New King James Version)

The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed.

For that reason humans can anoint others to serve in religious positions even though the Holy Spirit does not dwell in them which is usually the case in most churches.In the verse above the only assignment that would require the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is the healing of the blind,the other tasks requiring only human preaching talent.However since salvation will not be granted to anyone unless they have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (John 3:3-7) it is unlikely that God would anoint anyone to carry out any long-term assignments unless He has first baptized that individual with His Holy Spirit.

The practical consequence of God's conduct is that most churches must rely on personnel to fill their ministerial positions who are only church anointed without any God- sent indwelling of His Holy Spirit because as Jesus warned,"many will be called but few chosen";a phenomenon that is becoming alarming apparent in our end time churches.

Re: Holy Spirit Anointing vs Indwelling

All who believe on Jesus Christ as God's promised Saviour are to have The Holy Spirit. All that have believed have been 'called'.

I Jn 2:27
27 But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as It hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.
(KJV)

2 Cor 1:21-22
21 Now He Which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
(KJV)

Whether called or chosen, the Holy Spirit is always an anointing, and is What seals us.

Acts 2:38-39
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
(KJV)

The promise to receive The Holy Spirit is from repenting, believing on Jesus Christ, and being baptized in His Name for the remission of sins. It is a promise to all those whom The Lord shall call.

Acts 4:31
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
(KJV)

One of the signs of The Holy Spirit dwelling in us is the ability to speak The Word of God with conviction and boldness, being able to discern truth.

Acts 5:31-32
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are His witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey Him.(KJV)

Ah, there's the catch. The Holy Spirit is for the believer who 'obeys' God, doing what our Lord commanded us to do. Because many of us are weak in that, it can cause a block.

Acts 7:51
51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
(KJV)

Being rebellious and stubborn ("stiffnecked") against The Lord is to resist The Holy Spirit. We separate the bridge between us and The Holy Spirit when we are rebellious and stubborn against The Lord's ways.

Acts 8:14-17
14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
(KJV)

For some that have believed, a further witnessing or operation by The Holy Spirit might be needed.

Acts 9:31
31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
(KJV)

1 Cor 2:12-16
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.
(KJV)

A sign of The Holy Spirit is the ability to discern spiritual truths, in contrast to one who has to rely on their fleshy carnal mind. The doctrines of men, the 'leaven' our Lord Jesus warned about, comes from not being able to discern spiritual truths, but instead having to rely on carnal thinking. There's a lot of playing religion today that comes from those who use their carnal mind, understanding and preaching God's Word using a fleshy sense, which is not of The Holy Spirit.

1 Cor 12:3
3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
(KJV)

If you truly believe that Jesus Christ is God, then that's by The Holy Spirit. The teaching that Jesus was only human and not God is a sign of the lack of The Holy Spirit, and those will easily be manifest when you hear their doctrines of men.

Believe, keep The Faith, and seek to follow the commandments of our Lord Jesus Christ, and you will come to know The Holy Spirit, for He will dwell within you. And you won't have to ask if The Holy Spirit is still with us, you'll KNOW it. He will manifest through you especially when doing The Lord's work.

Re: Holy Spirit Anointing vs Indwelling

I'm not much for refusing to use my brain to "study to show yourself approved [...] rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15)." If insight came by the Holy Spirit to those who had it then we wouldn't need our brains which God gave us and we wouldn't need to study. Gnosis: intuitive knowledge of spiritual truths; said to have been possessed by ancient Gnostics I'm not much for gnosticism either. I think the Holy Spirit may lead us into truth if we aren't suppressing him, but I don't think he freely gives it away all of the time.

However, I'd like to know if there is a difference between receiving the power of the Holy Spirit (such as Samson had) and being filled with the Holy Spirit (such as happens when one puts their faith in God). That was what I was really trying to get at. I've also heard the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament explained as being only the visible glory or manifestation of the glory of God (Ruach ha'Kodesh)... which makes it seem a little less personal of a being and a little more abstract of a power. Was there a difference between Samson being filled with the power of the Spirit and a Christian being filled with the Spirit?

So I was wondering if anyone could answer my concerns I have in bold. I'd be grateful.

IMO, the Saints of the Old Testament where just given a measure of the Spirit.
John 3:34
For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him.

We are told that Jesus is the one who baptizes us with the Holy Ghost (John 1:33). Paul even tell the believers to be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18-19).

The Epistle of I John really deals with the question of gnostism. This is where the anointing that you are talking about is referred to (I John 2:27,20). IMO the anointing is just the Holy Spirit guiding us into all truth (John 16:13-14).

Back