Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SALT

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
Without asking Prof. Google:
How many types of salt are there?

When it rains it pours....
why does some salt not pour when it rains?

1607204658787.png

When it rains it pours....
why does some salt not pour when it rains?
There's an anti-caking additive in free-pouring salt.
Here are a list of common anti-caking agents:

● Sodium aluminosilicate - a man-made product

● Sodium ferrocyanide

● Potassium ferrocyanide

● Calcium carbonate

● Magnesium carbonate

● Calcium silicate

● Silicon dioxide - the principle constituent of sandstone

● Hydrophobic silica

● Calcium phosphate/tri-calcium phosphate - bone ash

These are all industry standard ingredients and by law, companies are not required to include them in their labeling.

None of them are present in amounts that would cause any harmful effects on humans. I don't know which are used in Morton salt. They are often used in Kosher salt as well. Salt is hygroscopic. That is, it tends to pull moisture out of the air, and the moisture dissolves some of the salt on the surface of the grains, after which it dries, and welds the grains together.

There's an anti-caking additive in free-pouring salt.
Here are a list of common anti-caking agents:

● Sodium aluminosilicate - a man-made product

● Sodium ferrocyanide

● Potassium ferrocyanide

● Calcium carbonate

● Magnesium carbonate

● Calcium silicate

● Silicon dioxide - the principle constituent of sandstone

● Hydrophobic silica

● Calcium phosphate/tri-calcium phosphate - bone ash

These are all industry standard ingredients and by law, companies are not required to include them in their labeling.

None of them are present in amounts that would cause any harmful effects on humans. I don't know which are used in Morton salt. They are often used in Kosher salt as well. Salt is hygroscopic. That is, it tends to pull moisture out of the air, and the moisture dissolves some of the salt on the surface of the grains, after which it dries, and welds the grains together.
Hi Barb,
Thanks for the information.

There's actually a lot to know about salt.

I never appreciated that salt ran freely from the salt dispenser until I came to live here.
In the summer there's no problem, but in the winter the salt does not flow freely due to the humidity
in these houses and it just sticks together. Some put rice in the dispenser...it helps. But the reason I think
it helps is because it breaks up the salt, not because it removes the humidity from the salt.

I finally understood what the commercial for Morton salt meant!
When it rains (in humidity),,,,it pours.

Dried rice should indeed soak up water dissolved in air, so it's probably both effects. Might be worth testing... (Barbarian muses). Weigh rice in dehydrated state and then lay out on a tray in high humidity. Weigh again. If it was significant, it would be heavier.

what's weird is that if you increase your sodium intake you will need potassium and vice versa .

just eat bananas or raw potatoes.if its a problem with cramps ,doctor told me the best way to get potassium
Raw potatoes?
Ugggh.
I wonder if it's true that potato skin is poisonous if you eat too much of it.

I wonder if it's true that potato skin is poisonous if you eat too much of it.
Only if it starts to green up. That's why you store them in the dark. Don't know what the toxin is, but it can be dangerous. The green is chlorophyll, which is not in any way dangerous, but it indicates that the toxin is developing. I expect that peeling away the green part would be sufficient for safety, but I just toss them if they get green. I store mine in the dark in the back of the pantry. I just ran out of potatoes from this summer, so they do keep well, if you store them properly.

(Barbarian checks)

BTW, in chemistry, a "salt" is a compound made of at least one anion and at least one cation. Basically one element from the left side of the periodic table and one from the right side of the periodic table, so that it makes an ionic compound that disassociates in water.

Sodium Chroride is salt, one of many chemical salts. So is potassium chloride. Since sodium and potassium are on the same row and adjacent to each other, they have very similar properties, and their salts are quite similar.

Back