Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Salvation through baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

justbyfaith

I would like here to make a case for baptism in Jesus' Name.

First I want to show that scripturally baptism has the power to save.

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

In verse 20, it makes it clear that the baptism being spoken of in verse 21 is water baptism.

Now, I know that a case can be made that we are saved by grace through faith; as though this excluded being saved through the grace of baptism. In this post I will not argue that a person can only be saved through baptism in Jesus' Name (except in part); but that baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save a soul;

And that therefore, if you have any doubts about your salvation, being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins may be something that you might want to try.

For it is written,

Deu 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

and,

Jer 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

It should be clear that there is a conditional promise in holy scripture, that we can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...

The condition being that we repent and are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins:

Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

I would say, also, that if baptism does indeed save, that this salvation is in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth:

Act 4:10, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11, This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now, here I will make a case for the exclusivisity in salvation of being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

For the promise of Acts 2:38 is a conditional promise.

Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And it is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Consider.

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

If you are not among the called, then you were never predestinated unto salvation; and will not be justified.

Nevertheless, in Mark 16:16, it is those who believe not who will be damned; baptism isn't mentioned (as concerning condemnation for lack of it) except as a guarantee for salvation wherein it says, "whosoever believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

This indicates to me that, whereas in John 3:16, if you believe only, you "should" not perish, that if you believe and are baptized, you have an absolute promise of salvation...the word "shall" is an absolute one...whereas the word "should" is rather iffy.

So, I will not here preach that you must be baptized in Jesus' Name or else you will not be saved (I will allow the word of God to do that preaching for me, in verses already quoted); but I will say that if you want absolute assurance of salvation, the next step is to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

Then, you shall receive remission of sins (1 John 3:9) and the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Last edited:
I would like here to make a case for baptism in Jesus' Name.

First I want to show that scripturally baptism has the power to save.

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

In verse 20, it makes it clear that the baptism being spoken of in verse 21 is water baptism.

Now, I know that a case can be made that we are saved by grace through faith; as though this excluded being saved through the grace of baptism. In this post I will not argue that a person can only be saved through baptism in Jesus' Name (except in part); but that baptism in Jesus' Name has the power to save a soul;

And that therefore, if you have any doubts about your salvation, being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins may be something that you might want to try.

For it is written,

Deu 4:29, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

and,

Jer 29:13, And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

It should be clear that there is a conditional promise in holy scripture, that we can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...

The condition being that we repent and are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins:

Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I would say, also, that if baptism does indeed save, that this salvation is in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth:

Act 4:10, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11, This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now, here I will make a case for the exclusivisity in salvation of being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

For the promise of Acts 2:38 is a conditional promise.

And it is given to as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Consider.

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

If you are not among the called, then you were never predestinated unto salvation; and will not be justified.

Nevertheless, in Mark 16:16, it is those who believe not who will be damned; baptism isn't mentioned (as concerning condemnation for lack of it) except as a guarantee for salvation wherein it says, "whosoever believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

This indicates to me that, whereas in John 3:16, if you believe only, you "should" not perish, that if you believe and are baptized, you have an absolute promise of salvation...the word "shall" is an absolute one...whereas the word "should" is rather iffy.

So, I will not here preach that you must be baptized in Jesus' Name or else you will not be saved (I will allow the word of God to do that preaching for me, in verses already quoted); but I will say that if you want absolute assurance of salvation, the next step is to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

Then, you shall receive remission of sins (1 John 3:9) and the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter said "the like figure," which is the symbol of our salvation.

He uses Noah and his family being saved by water as an example. That example has nothing to do with salvation, but only saved their lives as the ark lifted them up to safety.

Water baptism is the visible symbol of our spiritual salvation by grace through faith. You are literally seeing the "baptism into the death of Christ" taking place by means of water. It is not our salvation but the symbol "the like figure" of our salvation.

We are saved by baptism, but not water baptism. Our salvation is the "circumcision made without hands." which is a spiritual baptism. It's not an immersion into water, but a spiritual immersion into the death of Christ, in which the water represents.

Col. 2:11-13
"In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;"

He uses Noah and his family being saved by water as an example. That example has nothing to do with salvation, but only saved their lives as the ark lifted them up to safety.
Agreed
We are saved by baptism, but not water baptism. Our salvation is the "circumcision made without hands." which is a spiritual baptism.
Agreed.

I too take the position that water baptism is an act of obedience and not salvific. My reasoning:
  • The purpose of the book of John 20:30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. Eternal life in Christ is the purpose of the book, yet baptism is never mentioned. It is impossible to contend that God’s purpose of the book is incomplete.
  • Paul before his baptism had received the Lord Jesus and his eyes had been opened and the Holy Ghost given. Acts 9:18. Cornelius and his house also received the Holy Ghost and spake with tongues before their baptism. Acts 10:44-48. The Jailer at Philippi manifestly believed before he was baptized. Baptism without antecedent faith was treated as invalid in certain disciples at Ephesus. Acts 19:1-5. James Boyce – Systematic Theology
  • Being Water Baptized for salvation contradicts the many verses saying we are not saved by our works (Eph. 2:8-9) and that we have no reason to boast (1 Corinthians 4:7 ).
  • To claim ritual/water baptism is required in addition to faith in Christ is to suggest that the 150 passages in which believing or faith alone appears are incomplete and to the extent misleading. To put all one’s confidence upon one verse and to be uninfluenced by the overwhelming body of Scripture which contradicts that interpretation stretches credibility.
  • Ritual Baptism causes the need for exceptions for which no provisions in scripture can be found. Some people cannot be immersed in water due to illness, disability, advanced age, etc … not that this proves water baptism is needed for salvation; rather, it proves people in this situation cannot be saved (death bed confessions, etc.)
  • Spiritual baptism is universally present in every case of salvation. Confusion can exist when baptism is found in the bible as to whether it is Baptism of the Spirit or of water
  • Whether water baptism is by immersion or not is not clear; therefore, the necessity of one or the other is unclear.

I could exegete the many supposed salvific baptism verses but I will do just one by way of example. Mark 16:16 Whoever believes [Human requirement per the efficacious call of the Spirit] and is baptized [divine miracle] will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. Stated from the negative side baptism is omitted as being unnecessary; for he that disbelieves cannot be baptized. If this verse is about water baptism he can be baptized; but if it is the baptism of the Spirit, he cannot. Also, it is not clear if this is WATER BAPTISM or Baptism of the Spirit and finally there is debate as to whether or not the last 16 verses of Mark which include this book should really be in the Bible because they are not found in older manuscripts.

Warning of Salvation by Works Nullifies Salvation (Galatians 5:2-6)
Short story, Paul speaks to those that add circumcision as a requirement of salvation that: Gal 5:4 You have been severed from Christ, if you seek to be justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] through the Law; you have fallen from grace [for you have lost your grasp on God’s unmerited favor and blessing]. AMP One would assume that the action of any work like Water Baptism for salvation would apply also.

Interesting Aside Regarding Forums "Statement of Faith"
The statement seems to contradict itself. On one hard it clearly states: No human merit or performance earns salvation. Then it states: The visible Body of Christ (The Church) ... Consists of all believers who have confessed Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and have been immersed in the baptismal waters.

Actual Phasing of Forum:
We support the biblical teaching that all people are born with inherited sin and are lost eternally. They can be saved through repentance, forgiveness and faith in Jesus Christ's death (atonement) and resurrection. No human merit or performance earns salvation. For children and the mentally challenged, they are covered by Jesus’ teaching, 'The kingdom of heaven belongs to people like them" (Matt 19:14 NIRV). Furthermore, We believe children and those with mental incapabilities who have no knowledge of good and evil, being innocent in the eyes of God, will be with Him if they should die in this state. (Deuteronomy 1:39) Those who have not heard the gospel, 'have no excuse’ before God because they have not pursued the evidence for God in creation (Rom 1:18—24a NIRV).
The visible Body of Christ (The Church) is universal in nature and not specific to one denomination. It consists of all believers who have confessed Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and have been immersed in the baptismal waters. Those baptized as infants, whether immersed or sprinkled will not be excluded. (Matthew 28:19).
https://christianforums.net/pages/SOF/

Maybe the reps of the Forum could address this possible contradiction???

Agreed

Agreed.

I too take the position that water baptism is an act of obedience and not salvific. My reasoning:
  • The purpose of the book of John 20:30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. Eternal life in Christ is the purpose of the book, yet baptism is never mentioned. It is impossible to contend that God’s purpose of the book is incomplete.
  • Paul before his baptism had received the Lord Jesus and his eyes had been opened and the Holy Ghost given. Acts 9:18. Cornelius and his house also received the Holy Ghost and spake with tongues before their baptism. Acts 10:44-48. The Jailer at Philippi manifestly believed before he was baptized. Baptism without antecedent faith was treated as invalid in certain disciples at Ephesus. Acts 19:1-5. James Boyce – Systematic Theology
  • Being Water Baptized for salvation contradicts the many verses saying we are not saved by our works (Eph. 2:8-9) and that we have no reason to boast (1 Corinthians 4:7 ).
  • To claim ritual/water baptism is required in addition to faith in Christ is to suggest that the 150 passages in which believing or faith alone appears are incomplete and to the extent misleading. To put all one’s confidence upon one verse and to be uninfluenced by the overwhelming body of Scripture which contradicts that interpretation stretches credibility.
  • Ritual Baptism causes the need for exceptions for which no provisions in scripture can be found. Some people cannot be immersed in water due to illness, disability, advanced age, etc … not that this proves water baptism is needed for salvation; rather, it proves people in this situation cannot be saved (death bed confessions, etc.)
  • Spiritual baptism is universally present in every case of salvation. Confusion can exist when baptism is found in the bible as to whether it is Baptism of the Spirit or of water
  • Whether water baptism is by immersion or not is not clear; therefore, the necessity of one or the other is unclear.

I could exegete the many supposed salvific baptism verses but I will do just one by way of example. Mark 16:16 Whoever believes [Human requirement per the efficacious call of the Spirit] and is baptized [divine miracle] will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. Stated from the negative side baptism is omitted as being unnecessary; for he that disbelieves cannot be baptized. If this verse is about water baptism he can be baptized; but if it is the baptism of the Spirit, he cannot. Also, it is not clear if this is WATER BAPTISM or Baptism of the Spirit and finally there is debate as to whether or not the last 16 verses of Mark which include this book should really be in the Bible because they are not found in older manuscripts.

Short story, Paul speaks to those that add circumcision as a requirement of salvation that: Gal 5:4 You have been severed from Christ, if you seek to be justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] through the Law; you have fallen from grace [for you have lost your grasp on God’s unmerited favor and blessing]. AMP One would assume that the action of any work like Water Baptism for salvation would apply also.

Interesting Aside Regarding Forums "Statement of Faith"
The statement seems to contradict itself. On one hard it clearly states: No human merit or performance earns salvation. Then it states: The visible Body of Christ (The Church) ... Consists of all believers who have confessed Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and have been immersed in the baptismal waters.Baptism

Actual Phasing of Forum:
We support the biblical teaching that all people are born with inherited sin and are lost eternally. They can be saved through repentance, forgiveness and faith in Jesus Christ's death (atonement) and resurrection. No human merit or performance earns salvation. For children and the mentally challenged, they are covered by Jesus’ teaching, 'The kingdom of heaven belongs to people like them" (Matt 19:14 NIRV). Furthermore, We believe children and those with mental incapabilities who have no knowledge of good and evil, being innocent in the eyes of God, will be with Him if they should die in this state. (Deuteronomy 1:39) Those who have not heard the gospel, 'have no excuse’ before God because they have not pursued the evidence for God in creation (Rom 1:18—24a NIRV).
The visible Body of Christ (The Church) is universal in nature and not specific to one denomination. It consists of all believers who have confessed Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and have been immersed in the baptismal waters. Those baptized as infants, whether immersed or sprinkled will not be excluded. (Matthew 28:19).
https://christianforums.net/pages/SOF/

Maybe the reps of the Forum could address this possible contradiction???
Baptism does not earn salvation and is not a work of merit; but acts as the initial introduction into being a Christian; it stands as the method by which a person becomes a Christian.

Peter said "the like figure," which is the symbol of our salvation.
Notice that it is the like figure which now saves us; indicating that we may not be saved apart from the symbolic action of being immersed in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ through water baptism

Baptism does not earn salvation and is not a work of merit; but acts as the initial introduction into being a Christian; it stands as the method by which a person becomes a Christian.
Your confusing me.
1) [Water] "baptism does not earn salvation"
2) "it [water baptism] stands as a method by which a person becomes a Christian"
The two statements contradict each other.

Does one need to be water baptized to be saved: Yes or No?
If the answer is NO then statement (2) is incorrect. If the answer is YES then statement (1) is incorrect.

Baptism does not earn salvation and is not a work of merit
What is a "work of merit"? Water Baptism is obviously a work.

Notice that it is the like figure which now saves us; indicating that we may not be saved apart from the symbolic action of being immersed in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ through water baptism

No. He specified that it was not the actual water which accomplished the work, but the putting away of a guilty conscience, which can occur with or without water baptism.

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Water baptism is simply a ceremony we honor to commemorate a spiritual reality. Without the spiritual reality taking place, the ceremony is useless and powerless.

No. He specified that it was not the actual water which accomplished the work, but the putting away of a guilty conscience, which can occur with or without water baptism.

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Water baptism is simply a ceremony we honor to commemorate a spiritual reality. Without the spiritual reality taking place, the ceremony is useless and powerless.
It is "baptism" that "doth also now save us", according to the passage.

Now baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God; but it does not say in the passage, that "the answer of a good conscience toward God doth also now save us", as if that can happen apart from water baptism in Jesus' Name.

Your confusing me.
1) [Water] "baptism does not earn salvation"
2) "it [water baptism] stands as a method by which a person becomes a Christian"
The two statements contradict each other.

Does one need to be water baptized to be saved: Yes or No?
If the answer is NO then statement (2) is incorrect. If the answer is YES then statement (1) is incorrect.

What is a "work of merit"? Water Baptism is obviously a work.
No; water baptism is not a work; because a person can receive remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost (salvation) as the result of it.

The Bible is clear that we are not saved by works.

It is "baptism" that "doth also now save us", according to the passage.

Now baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God; but it does not say in the passage, that "the answer of a good conscience toward God doth also now save us", as if that can happen apart from water baptism in Jesus' Name.

Ok, then let me ask what you do with the thief on the cross who had no time to be water baptized. Saved or not saved?

Ok, then let me ask what you do with the thief on the cross who had no time to be water baptized. Saved or not saved?
Who says the thief on the Cross had never been baptized?

You assume that the application of water will necessarily change a life. However, that may not happen until later.

So you believe he was? What support do you have from either scripture or early church tradition to support this, other than supposition to keep your position from faltering?
What support do you have from holy scripture that he wasn't?

The fact that he placed his faith in Christ indicates to me that he may have been baptized.

Luk 7:29, And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
Luk 7:30, But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Here is a principle found in holy scripture, that being baptized will have an effect on whether or not one has faith.

Luk 7:29, And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
Luk 7:30, But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Here is a principle found in holy scripture, that being baptized will have an effect on whether or not one has faith.

No, no. Lol. You have it completely backwards here. Faith comes through hearing, and hearing through the word. You are venturing deep into law at this point with your position, as if an outward work can somehow lead to a change of heart. It's the other way around.
What support do you have from holy scripture that he wasn't?

As you've already admitted, your position demands you construct a scenario that he had believed and been baptized but that it somehow simply hadn't taken effect yet. Are you not contradicting your own position at this point? If baptism has an effect on if one will be saved and he had already been baptized, where was the effect?

No, no. Lol. You have it completely backwards here. Faith comes through hearing, and hearing through the word. You are venturing deep into law at this point with your position, as if an outward work can somehow lead to a change of heart. It's the other way around.
You think that the realm of the teachings about baptism is the law?

The scripture that I quoted shows that submitting to baptism as an action of the will, produces a change in the heart as concerning faith.
As you've already admitted, your position demands you construct a scenario that he had believed and been baptized but that it somehow simply hadn't taken effect yet. Are you not contradicting your own position at this point? If baptism has an effect on if one will be saved and he had already been baptized, where was the effect?
Sometimes the effect comes much later.

For the thief, the effect occurred when he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when you come into Your kingdom." That was a statement of faith.

But I would point out, that the argument about the thief on the cross is only valid if the thief had never been baptized.

And, since that remains unknown to us, the argument cannot be made.

As long as there is the possibility that the thief was baptized, the argument cannot be made.

In order to make the argument, you have to establish that the thief had absolutely, never been baptized.

Otherwise, the mere possibility that he had been baptized creates an element of doubt that breaks the argument in pieces.

And, since that remains unknown to us, the argument cannot be made.

As long as there is the possibility that the thief was baptized, the argument cannot be made.

In order to make the argument, you have to establish that the thief had absolutely, never been baptized.

And in order to make yours, you need to establish proof that he had, lol. Where is it?

In context, those who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ (Galatians 3:27).

So, Paul would not tell people to be baptized if it amounted to returning to the law and thus falling from grace and being severed from Christ.

Back