Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SECULAR SAYINGS THAT HAVE BIBLICAL ROOTS

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Gazelle

GAME: SECULAR SAYINGS THAT HAVE BIBLICAL ROOTS

This game might take a little forethought and effort, but I think it could be fun.

[There are people who declare they want nothing of God, yet they use phrases that are based in Scripture. I find this a great way to begin a conversation that can lead someone to Christ.]

I'll start the game and whomever answers correctly first, posts up the next one. Please post the secular saying, and allow others to answer with the Biblical reference/saying, ok? :thumbsup

As an example,

Secular: two heads are better than one

correct answer (and there can be more than one)

Bible: "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed."-– Ecclesiastes 4:9

Now for the first one:

Secular saying: I'm at my wit's end; she's at her wit's end

Last edited by a moderator:
Psalm 107:27
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end.

I do not know if I'm right. Just let me know :confused :biggrin

"Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool."

Isaiah 1:18

"Reality hits you hard, bro"

"Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool."

Isaiah 1:18

"Reality hits you hard, bro"

:) Congrats!
Now you have the ball!

OK I'll go ahead with another :)

Secular: she is the apple of his eye

Biblical: He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. (Deut 32:10 )

And for my contribution...

Secular: Far be it from me.

Oh that's one I didn't have :)

1 Samuel 12:23 ESV

Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way.

and for the "apple of my eye" there are more:
Psalm 17:8(NKJV) Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings

Zechariah 2:8 For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye. (speaking of Israel being the apple of God's eye)

Secular: A sign of the times

Secular: Sign of the times

Bible Verse: Matthew 16:3 "And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?"

Ok...next one (and easier one) :

Secular: The Golden Rule, treat people like you want to be treated

Secular: live by the golden rule (and no, not the one that says whomever has the gold, rules) :lol treat people like you want to be treated

Biblical: Luke 6:21 Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Next: Secular: laughter is the best medicine

Secular: live by the golden rule (and no, not the one that says whomever has the gold, rules) :lol treat people like you want to be treated

Biblical: Luke 6:21 Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

500 BC - Confucius: Don't do to others what you would not want done to you.

(Biblical saying that have secular roots)

HAHA, If an atheist gets it right, can we use a christian saying that has secular roots? Just a suggestion :)

:waveNow that's an idea... would be great for a thread eh?

Ok Since I had never heard even the Bard quote for public use ;)... Here's another SECULAR saying... that we want the BIBLE VERSE that it orginated from (or could have.)

Secular: The Leopard Cannot Change His Spots
The saying the leopard cannot change his spots means that the character or nature of a person or institution cannot be changed.

BIBLICAL VERSE: ???

Back