Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

sick to my stomach

So in September I found out the hard way that my system can't tolerate high fructose corn syrup. So that month I made a strong effort to avoid anything with that ingredient in it. I felt better but when October came around I "fell off the wagon". The thing is...it is so hard to avoid this stuff! And my poor tummy is paying the price for it. Does anyone else have a similar issue? What do you do about it? With how bad my stomach feels I may just go on a water only fast for a while to balance my system. Blegh! And with turkey day coming up at the end of this month I wanna stop eating like ms. Piggy!

Sorry to hear that sister. I'll pray for you. I don't have that problem, but I imagine that it'll be hard to stay away from it since they use it in so many things. Probably the bestest thing that you can do you probably already know. Read those labels and reject those products and so forth. It'll be a big hassle for sure, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'll pray. :pray

So in September I found out the hard way that my system can't tolerate high fructose corn syrup. So that month I made a strong effort to avoid anything with that ingredient in it. I felt better but when October came around I "fell off the wagon". The thing is...it is so hard to avoid this stuff! And my poor tummy is paying the price for it. Does anyone else have a similar issue? What do you do about it? With how bad my stomach feels I may just go on a water only fast for a while to balance my system. Blegh! And with turkey day coming up at the end of this month I wanna stop eating like ms. Piggy!

I gotta ask first. Is that a picture of you, or someone else?

Anyway, I have learned to read the ingredients before I buy or eat things. with the water I drink, I use stuff like the diet MIO, or diet Soda Stream products, I get the sweet taste, but I do not the yo-yo of going from a high blood sugar (non diabetes) to a rapid decline. Talk about mood change!

Also, I look for ingredients such as HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). That is a sneaky way to fool consuners

Since there is 3+ weeks to Thanksgiving, there is plenty of time to inform your loved ones about your medical condition (assuming that you have a family get together) and ask them if it is anything that they can do to make their goodies with sugar, instead of HFCS. Naturally, that means staying away from Pecan Pie, but maybe you could manage a teaspoon full instead of a slice. :biggrin

One thing that I would do is begin to create a food intake daily diary Here is a good place to start http://www.loseit.com/ . It is free, and available for PC, I Phone or Android. The site is set up for weight loss through caloric intake reduction, and it will help you in many other ways, also.

At this stage, your journey away food additives that are toxic to you is just beginning. Setbacks will surely come, but they are not "fatal" unless you permit them to be fatal. Is there a allergy to foods group in your area. It would be a great idea to look into one, and I would ask the public relations people in your local hospital if they know anything like that. If they do not know, then ask them for a referral. I say that because I never let a closed door be a final word in a matter. If you ask for enough referrals, you will soon get what you need.

Hope that helps, sister!

By Grace:... Also, I look for ingredients such as HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). That is a sneaky way to fool consuners

I've searched (and re-searched, lol) this before, about how they fool people with the sugar names on their ingredient lists on products, and came to realize that they don't do this very much...they do it very very very much! I just did a quick google on this and came up with these for you. There is no reason to believe that this list is complete!

FWIW, they many times list the amount in grams, so for a common reference to easily visualize how much the grams add up to...remember that 4 grams of sugar is 1 teaspoon full of sugar.

1. Agave Nectar
2. Barley Malt
3. Beet Sugar
4. Brown Sugar
5. Buttered Syrup
6. Cane Crystals
7. Cane Juice Crystals
8. Cane Sugar
9. Caramel
10. Carob Syrup
11. Castor Sugar
12. Confectioner's Sugar
13. Corn Sweetener
14. Corn Syrup
15. Corn Syrup Solids
16. Crystalline Fructose
17. Date Sugar
18. Demerara Sugar
19. Dextran
20. Dextrose
21. Diastatic Malt
22. Diatase
23. Ethyl Maltol
24. Evaporated Cane Juice
25. Fructose
26. Fruit Juice
27. Fruit Juice Concentrates
28. Galactose
29. Glucose
30. Glucose Solids
31. Golden Sugar
32. Golden Syrup
33. Granulated Sugar
34. Grape Sugar
35. High-Fructose Corn Syrup
36. Honey
37. Icing Sugar
38. Invert Sugar
39. Lactose
40. Malt Syrup
41. Maltodextrin
42. Maltose
43. Maple Syrup
44. Molasses
45. Muscovado Sugar
46. Panocha
47. Raw Sugar
48. Refiner's Syrup
49. Rice Syrup
50. Sorbitol
51. Sorghum Syrup
52. Sucrose
53. Sugar
54. Syrup
55. Treacle
56. Turbinado Sugar
57. Yellow Sugar

That should get you started.

From where did you get your list?

I've searched (and re-searched, lol) this before, about how they fool people with the sugar names on their ingredient lists on products,
<SNIP>
1. Agave Nectar Most agave sweeteners come from the blue agave plant. So it is not HFCS Web MD
2. Barley Malt Malt is germinated cereal grains that have been dried in a process known as "malting" So it is not HFCS Wikipedia
3. Beet Sugar Beet sugar is a form of sugar which is extracted from a cultivar of Beta vulgaris, the common beet So it is not HFCS wisegeek.com
4. Brown Sugar Brown sugar is a sucrose sugar product with a distinctive brown color due to the presence of molasses. So it is not HFCS Wikipedia
5. Buttered Syrup Mixture of milk, sugar, vanilla and butter So it is not HFCS
<SNIP>
54. Syrup
55. Treacle
56. Turbinado Sugar
57. Yellow Sugar

That should get you started.

I believe she is allergic to HFCS but not to all sugar products, but thanks for your research. Maybe she would also be allergic to some of these too.

Agave is a sugar substitute that we diabetics use moderately in cooking, no refined sugar spikes and withdrawal symptoms either, ...I agree, the rest of the list is a no-no for me.

I am sorry to hear of your food problems. There are some common ingredients I can't eat and so for years it was a "problem" to always watch and limit what I ate, always reading the list of ingredients on the sides of boxes.

Then about five years ago, because we wanted to lead a more ascetic, monastic life my wife and I changed our diet to mostly unprocessed foods (and we continued our years of being meatless). We were glad we did and never looked back. So.. our experience is not to keep what we call the modern diet while seeking to exclude certain problem foods or ingredients, but to basically stop eating the modern diet all together and turn to organic, unprocessed foods like some people did 1000 years ago -- or as close to that as we can find and afford.

Few boxes on our reading list anymore!!

High fructose corn syrup seems to be added to a lot of American foods. It does not seem to be the case in other countries. So maybe some imported foods may not have the additive.

OK, so the current state of alternative sweet: artifical fructose is nearly a toxin lately, Doc Oz has backpedalled on agave discovering it's really just a high source of natural fructose (just as bad as artificial because it's the same thing), everyone is getting explosive diarrhea from alcohol sugars, and stevia is Latin for "bitter". Honey remains a marginally acceptable substitute, often having a low glycemic index and offering antioxidants, and the supposed immune boost partially compensates for the sugar contribution, the only other problem being that honey tends to taste like...well, honey.

Then I was checking out the diabetic shelf at Safeway, and saw a new player: Monk Fruit extract. Never heard of this one, so I buy it. I like it. Some will not. It's like a milder form of stevia (not surprising as its sweetness comes from similar molecules, glycocides), but not nearly as bitter, and with a fruity taste and after-taste. Kind of orangey.

Apparently it gets its name from being cultivated by Buddhist monks. As such, cultivation and processing makes it on the pricey side (I think it was around $9 for a 50ml squirt bottle), but if it can stave off the Type II, I could care less the cost.

I can't wait to squeeze some into my Starbucks tomorrow. Anyone else get around to trying this yet? (Use caution when purchasing, as some brands combine the Monk Fruit with sugar alcohols, and soooo many people eat here and get gas (myself included).

Last edited:
High fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and monosodium glutenate (MSG) have long been known to cause harm to the human body.
Some labels now put "natural flavors" on their labels that include MSG.
When you make an effort to avoid these things, you should find yourself feeling better and eating better.

I gotta ask first. Is that a picture of you, or someone else?
nah, that's not me...here's what I really look like:
a0256746ce1c0eba049dcf3a7c74f2f5.jpg

:shades But don't I look totally like my avitar? LOL

HFCS is *so* hard to avoid. I can't really blame you for falling off the wagon. Happens. Does anything help when you do consume the (apparently, not good for ANYBODY) stuff? Like Pepcid or something?

For reals? Hey Jethro, does pepto bismol dissolve brain cells? have you seen it first hand?
And if I drink it, will it dissolve my brain cells??? :eek2

Back