Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SOF Sin Nature

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
God gave the gift of faith to the jailer, thus enabling the jailer to believe.

Kk,

Please provide biblical support for this from the context of Acts 16:31.

According to John 12:32 (NIV), Jesus said: 'And I, when I am lifted up[a] from the earth, will draw all people to myself'.

I pursue this issue in my article, Can people choose to reject salvation?

According to Rom 12:3 (ESV), believers are 'to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned'.

When is that measure of faith given? Can a person resist God's drawing for salvation?

Oz

Kk,

Please provide biblical support for this from the context of Acts 16:31.

According to John 12:32 (NIV), Jesus said: 'And I, when I am lifted up[a] from the earth, will draw all people to myself'.

I pursue this issue in my article, Can people choose to reject salvation?

According to Rom 12:3 (ESV), believers are 'to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned'.

When is that measure of faith given? Can a person resist God's drawing for salvation?

Oz

Christ's suffering and death was decision's hour. The world's prince, the devil, would be cast out, subdued. Through his death, Jesus took from the devil the right which he'd assumed on account of humanity's sins, namely, of keeping people in subjection to him. By bearing the world's sins and by effecting a reconciliation for them all, Jesus took away from the devil the power to keep people in his service.

In the end, the question will be whether people will stand by Jesus or by Satan.

The tree was transformed into grace's throne. Christ's cross is the ladder between earth and heaven.

Christ's suffering and death was decision's hour. The world's prince, the devil, would be cast out, subdued. Through his death, Jesus took from the devil the right which he'd assumed on account of humanity's sins, namely, of keeping people in subjection to him. By bearing the world's sins and by effecting a reconciliation for them all, Jesus took away from the devil the power to keep people in his service.

In the end, the question will be whether people will stand by Jesus or by Satan.

The tree was transformed into grace's throne. Christ's cross is the ladder between earth and heaven.

Kk,

You answered not one of the questions I asked of you in #301. Not one.

Instead, you were off and running with your own theological spin that wasn't related to my questions.

We can't have a reasonable dialogue when you do that.

Oz

Kk,

You answered not one of the questions I asked of you in #301. Not one.

Instead, you were off and running with your own theological spin that wasn't related to my questions.

We can't have a reasonable dialogue when you do that.

Oz

We've gone round and round and round on your Acts verse Oz. I see no reason to address it any further at this time.

What reactivates the sin nature in the life of the Christian?

I believe this is an excellent question.

One that has thus gone unanswered.

I would like to hear what you believe the answer is.

For me I believe it is the sights and sounds of the world that we allow into our lives, that stimulate our desires.

James said it this way -

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
James 1:12-14

Verse 14 seems to be a key:

But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life seem to be stimulated by worldly influence. When we set our mind on these things.

Again James says -

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? James 4:4-5

What were your thoughts?

JLB

Do persons get to choose if they want to stand by Jesus or if they want to stand by satan?

Do persons get to choose if they want to stand by Jesus or if they want to stand by satan?
That is a given.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (John 3:19,20)

That is a given.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (John 3:19,20)
Agreed Nathan.
The other member was sounding a little calvinistic and I wanted to confirm his theology.

I believe this is an excellent question.

One that has thus gone unanswered.

I would like to hear what you believe the answer is.

For me I believe it is the sights and sounds of the world that we allow into our lives, that stimulate our desires.

James said it this way -

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
James 1:12-14

Verse 14 seems to be a key:

But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life seem to be stimulated by worldly influence. When we set our mind on these things.

Again James says -

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? James 4:4-5

What were your thoughts?

JLB
Acts of sin will turn into practicing sinning (the works of the flesh Gal. 5:19-21) when the Believer Faith is not placed exclusively in Christ and the Cross, i.e., "The Finished Work," i.e., "The Blood of Jesus."

God does not give victory to the flesh. All victory is in Jesus Christ; all victory is in Who He Is and What He accomplished for us at Calvary. Those who are proclaiming Jesus, but forsaking the Cross are wrestling with God. They are trying to bring about victory other than by the "Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus-God's prescribed order of victory over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil (Rom. 8:2)."

This is why God (Jehovah, i.e., "a pre-incarnate appearance of the Lord Jesus Christ") touched the hollow of Jacob thigh (type of the flesh). We learn form this, "Jacob the heel catcher," went from wrestling to clinging, (the flesh is now crippled) depending on God's blessing(s). The sentence of death must be written on the flesh-the power of the Cross must be entered into before we can steadily walk with God.

Remember, if you leave the Cross, you walk away from God! Most Christians have left their First Love. They are proclaiming Jesus, but forsaking the Cross (lukewarm-The Law of sin and death). This is called "Spiritual Adultery (Rom. 7:1-4)." If it continues, the scripture says the light is removed! Revelation 2:1-7; Revelation 3:14-19

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

...have no confidence in the flesh (Phil. 3:3)

Acts of sin will turn into practicing sinning (the works of the flesh Gal. 5:19-21) when the Believer Faith is not placed exclusively in Christ and the Cross, i.e., "The Finished Work," i.e., "The Blood of Jesus."

God does not give victory to the flesh. All victory is in Jesus Christ; all victory is in Who He Is and What He accomplished for us at Calvary. Those who are proclaiming Jesus, but forsaking the Cross are wrestling with God. They are trying to bring about victory other than by the "Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus-God's prescribed order of victory over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil (Rom. 8:2)."

This is why God (Jehovah, i.e., "a pre-incarnate appearance of the Lord Jesus Christ") touched the hollow of Jacob thigh (type of the flesh). We learn form this, "Jacob the heel catcher," went from wrestling to clinging, (the flesh is now crippled) depending on God's blessing(s). The sentence of death must be written on the flesh-the power of the Cross must be entered into before we can steadily walk with God.

Remember, if you leave the Cross, you walk away from God! Most Christians have left their First Love. They are proclaiming Jesus, but forsaking the Cross (lukewarm-The Law of sin and death). This is called "Spiritual Adultery (Rom. 7:1-4)." If it continues, the scripture says the light is removed! Revelation 2:1-7; Revelation 3:14-19

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

...have no confidence in the flesh (Phil. 3:3)

From your perspective does the Holy Spirit have a part in this work of crucifying the flesh in our lives, or leading us to walk according to the Spirit, rather than the flesh?

Maybe you could explain to us how we go about the daily mortifying of the flesh by the Spirit, and “sowing” to the Spirit rather than sowing to the flesh.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Romans 8:13

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. GaLatvians 6:7-8

JLB

From your perspective does the Holy Spirit have a part in this work of crucifying the flesh in our lives, or leading us to walk according to the Spirit, rather than the flesh?
The scripture says that the inward man is renewed day by day (is renewed by denying self and tasking up the Cross daily [2 Cor. 4:16; Lk. 9:23-24]). This is not a act of labor but an act of Faith, by placing and maintaining our Faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross daily. [Gal. 2:20-21].
Maybe you could explain to us how we go about the daily mortifying of the flesh by the Spirit, and “sowing” to the Spirit rather than sowing to the flesh.
The Holy Spirit mortifies the flesh the same way for a Christian during progressive sanctification - precept upon precept; line upon line,; here a little, and there a little: [Isaiah 28:10]

Last edited:
The scripture says that the inward man is renewed day by day (is renewed by denying self and tasking up the Cross daily [2 Cor. 4:16; Lk. 9:23-24]). This is not a act of labor but an act of Faith, by placing and maintaining our Faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross daily. [Gal. 2:20-21].

This is the action of faith that each of us must do, by His grace;
The Spirit of Grace.

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, Titus 2:11-12

JLB

1 John 4:17 says, "because as He is, so are we in this world. This is not talking about our flesh, but our spirit. Our spirit does not have to grow up or mature. Our soul must come in line with our spirit. Our soul must prosper to the level of our spirit in order for us to receive on the level of your spirit, so that we may receive all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who has called us to Glory and Virtue (the "knowledge" addressed here speaks of what Christ did at the Cross, which alone can provide "Glory and Virtue"): (3 John 1:2; 2 Peter 1:3). John said concerning this:

Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. 3 John 1:2

1 John 4:17 says, "because as He is, so are we in this world. This is not talking about our flesh, but our spirit. Our spirit does not have to grow up or mature. Our soul must come in line with our spirit. Our soul must prosper to the level of our spirit in order for us to receive on the level of your spirit, so that we may receive all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who has called us to Glory and Virtue (the "knowledge" addressed here speaks of what Christ did at the Cross, which alone can provide "Glory and Virtue"): (3 John 1:2; 2 Peter 1:3). John said concerning this:

Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. 3 John 1:2

We must choose to live our lives according to the Spirit, in which we practice righteousness rather than walk after the lustful desires of our flesh.

JLB

Back