Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sous vide

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Barbarian

Finally got around to trying my sous vide cooker. It uses a water bath heated by a unit at a very constant temp. I tried a chuck roast, sealed it in plastic freezer bag and put it in the water at 57 degrees C. (about 135 F), And 24 hours later, it was super tender and medium rare. The beauty of this method is that if you set it at medium rare, it can sit for days in the cooker and remains medium rare. I seared it in a stainless fry pan on each side for about 5 min to get a nice char.

52273015693_71a8588816_b.jpg

It has a more obvious beef flavor than most steak; Mrs. B. said it had the taste and texture of a rib roast. I really liked it. Very tender and juicy.
52273013666_490191bbeb_b.jpg
b

Didn't hurt that it used a very inexpensive cut of beef. We'll be doing more of that, for sure.

Looks like good eating ! We may need to try out a sous vide cooker :chin, we like our crock pot .

The neat thing about sous vide is that you set it for the degree of doneness, and it stays that way. You do have to sear the meat to get a nice char on it, but that's quick and easy. Over a day's time, the collagen in the meat goes to gelatin, making even tough cuts very tender.

You can get a decent unit for about 80 dollars on amazon, and while you can use any pot you like, a tub built for the purpose can be gotten for maybe 50 dollars.

We use a quick pot (got it for Christmas) It replaced our old crock pot in which chili, ribs, and the like were cooked.

Back