Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Spirits will speak through your own inner voice, or more likely, they will just throw ideas into your mind"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Alfred Persson

MR
2024 Supporter
Originally Answered: How am I able to tell the difference between my own thoughts in my head and voices of spirits?

Spirits will speak through your own inner voice, or more likely, they will just throw ideas into your mind and you can easily interpret it as intuition. Usually, you just know that the thought, sentence, idea, etc, is sent from a spirit or higher dimensional being.-Rodney Tavares. Quora Website.

Finite creature "spirits speak telepathically" to our fleshly brains, God the Holy Spirit bears witness by-passing the flesh entirely, communing directly to our spirit. Communication from God will manifest itself by remembrance of scripture, insight into its context or a "knowing through our conscience".

16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
Romans 9:1 I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, (Rom. 8:16; 9:1 NKJ)

Demons telepathically inject words and ideas into flesh brains, and they can mimic a person's "inner voice" and deceive people from believing the Gospel of Christ:

11 "Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
12 "Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. (Lk. 8:11-12 NKJ)

This essential difference where God bears witness to our conscience (spirit) and demons to carnal flesh is implied in Romans 8:4-16 and 2 Corinthians 4:2-4:

4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors-- not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, Rom. 8:4-17 NKJ)

2 But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness nor handling the word of God deceitfully, but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. (2 Cor. 4:2-4 NKJ)

During the apostolic age the Holy Spirit might speak to the apostles to their ears (not telepathically to brains):

As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." (Acts 13:2 NKJ)

Christians must never confuse the voice of the Tempter with that of God. God cannot entertain evil thoughts, He is pure light without any shadow. Therefore, He cannot tempt people to do evil.

It be Demons who tempt people to do evil,
telepathically luring them by inciting fleshly lusts:

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.
14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.
(Jas. 1:13-18 NKJ)

Whenverever spirits tempt to evil, I cite pertinent Scripture in rebuttal:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Heb. 4:12 NKJ)

Follow Christ's example::

3 Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."
4 But He answered and said, "It is written,`Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"
5 Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple,
6 and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:`He shall give His angels charge over you,' and,`In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.'"
7 Jesus said to him, "It is written again,`You shall not tempt the LORD your God.'"
8 Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
9 And he said to Him, "All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me."
10 Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written,`You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.'"
11 Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him. (Matt. 4:3-11 NKJ)

Last edited:
Communication from God will manifest itself by remembrance of scripture, insight into its context or a "knowing through our conscience".
This verse speaks to what you are saying and yes I have experienced this .
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

And this happened a few years ago .

A small still voice .
One night I was home alone strumming my guitar sitting on my couch . I heard a voice inside me tell a task to do . I did not even have to get off the couch to do said task . So I did the task and only then did I understand it was God speaking to me because of the results of what I was told to do . Hearing the voice speak to me was an odd experience , it felt like the voice was coming from very deep inside me , like I had a half mile deep cavern inside and the voice was coming from the depths .

This verse speaks to what you are saying and yes I have experienced this .
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

And this happened a few years ago .

A small still voice .
One night I was home alone strumming my guitar sitting on my couch . I heard a voice inside me tell a task to do . I did not even have to get off the couch to do said task . So I did the task and only then did I understand it was God speaking to me because of the results of what I was told to do . Hearing the voice speak to me was an odd experience , it felt like the voice was coming from very deep inside me , like I had a half mile deep cavern inside and the voice was coming from the depths .
Praise God for His "still small voice" (1 Ki. 19:12). I should have made clear God the Holy Spirit sometimes clothes a single word or words in our spirit with a volume of understanding, granting us insight into things we need to do.

I hoped only to make clear telepathically "downloaded" images, words, dreams, visions, alien abductions, out of body trips allegedly to heaven," to the flesh, our brains are NOT of God. They will fail objective tests for truth:

1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them.
6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 Jn. 4:1-6 NKJ)

When John says "test the spirits" he is referring to "human spirits who claim divine inspiration" "because many false prophets have gone out into the world".

Christians were not heeding spirits like the spiritists and non Christians today.

But as John says to test them "while they are prophesying", the tests also work on any demonic manifestations of spirits.

We can also know experiences by their fruit. Any supernatural experiences that lead us away from Bible Truth are not of God:

15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.
16 "You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?
17 "Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. (Matt. 7:15-18 NKJ)

9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders,
10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,
12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2 Thess. 2:9-12 NKJ)

Notice how Paul contrasts "tares in the church being misled by unholy spirits away from God's truth" with Christians sanctified by the Holy Spirit in God's truth:

13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth,
14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.
(2 Thess. 2:13-15 NKJ)

Last edited:
I hoped only to make clear telepathically "downloaded" images, words, dreams, visions, alien abductions, out of body trips allegedly to heaven," to the flesh, our brains are NOT of God. They will fail objective tests for truth:
Do you think in this present age that God can and does communicate to us through dreams and visions ?

Do you think in this present age that God can and does communicate to us through dreams and visions ?
God can, but I don't believe He will until the end time week of seven years:

Lady Zion the Church figuratively flees into the wilderness (Rev. 12:13-16) separating herself from the apostate TARES surrounding them (Rev. 11:1-2). God pours out His Spirit upon the Church and her sons and daughters prophesy, dream and see visions. (Daniel 11:31-35; Joel 2:28-32; Acts 2:14-21; Rev. 11:1-4; Zech. 4:1-14).

Then the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days. (Rev. 12:6 NKJ)

16 "But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17 `And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; And they shall prophesy. (Acts 2:16-18 NKJ)

1 Then I was given a reed like a measuring rod. And the angel stood, saying, "Rise and measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship there.
2 "But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months. (Rev. 11:1-2 NKJ)

Until then, false prophecy, visions and dreams are occurring among the TARES in the Church and some true believers are confusing it as a genuine manifestation of the Holy Spirit:

24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field;
25 "but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.
26 "But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared.
27 "So the servants of the owner came and said to him,`Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?'
28 "He said to them,`An enemy has done this.' The servants said to him,`Do you want us then to go and gather them up?'
29 "But he said,`No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them.
30 `Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn."'"

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him, saying, "Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field."
37 He answered and said to them: "He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man.
38 "The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one.
39 "The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.
40 "Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age.
41 "The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness,
42 "and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 "Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear! (Matt. 13:24-43 NKJ)

22 "Many will say to Me in that day,`Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
23 "And then I will declare to them,`I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' (Matt. 7:22-23 NKJ)

Last edited:
Very true , God can send us dreams and visions in the here and now as He always has through time .
but I don't believe He will until the end time week of seven years:
So you are saying dreams and visions to God's people have some how ceased in the past ? If so when did they cease ?
We can also know experiences by their fruit. Any supernatural experiences that lead us away from Bible Truth are not of God:
Yes and test the spirits .

Very true , God can send us dreams and visions in the here and now as He always has through time .

So you are saying dreams and visions to God's people have some how ceased in the past ? If so when did they cease ?

Yes and test the spirits .
The NT is a “non-charismanic book”, the universal born-again experience was manifested by the 3000 saved on the Day of Pentecost, and it is precisely what believers manifest today. No mention of tongues or prophecy, rather the “outward physical evidence” is a changed heart, sincere devotion to God’s Word and love for their fellow believers:

38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39 “For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”
40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”
41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.
42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common,
45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,
47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:38-47 NKJ)
Passages cited FOR the gift of tongues (Ac. 10:46-47; 19:4-7) actually prove how unusual it was, for these are cited as signs. In the first that the Way was open to Gentiles (Ac. 11:1-18), and the second that salvation can occur only in the name of Jesus (Ac. 19:3-6; 4:12).

That these gifts passed from the scene as the New Testament was being written is clear from a chronological survey of the data. About 67 A.D. these special revelatory gifts are spoken of in the past tense:

3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? (Heb 2:3-4 KJV)
We see the “timeline of cessation” quite clearly in this survey of the NT data. While some will object “this is an argument from silence, therefore unsound”, that wouldn’t apply when “silence is impossible”. The NT writers made it a point to record all extra-ordinary events, it is impossible they not do so. To illustrate this principle, if a body is silent for hours not breathing, to a high degree of probability it is dead, a corpse. That deduction would not be unsound.

Pentecost was the time of maximum manifestation of the special gifts. If we calculate those present on that day, 120 receive the gifts while 3,000 do not (120/3120=.038) only 4% of the church manifested these gifts. Everything in the NT indicates this percentage decreased as the Bible grew, as Holy Scripture began to take the place of the revelatory gifts.

A.D.30 According to Scripture only 3.85% (120/(3000+120)) percent of believers spoke in tongues when they received the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost-Acts 1:15, 2:1ff; 41-47.

A.D.49 Paul lists fruits of the Spirit rather than special gifts-Galatians 5:2-23.

A.D.51 Timothy brings Paul news about faith and love, not charismata-1 Thessalonians 3:6.

A.D.51 Paul says love is evidence of God’s choosing, not special gifts-2 Thessalonians 1:3-5.

A.D.51 “May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.”-2 Thessalonians 3:5 NIV

A.D.53 The unusual is recorded: Twelve followers of John the Baptist receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues and prophesy-Acts 19:1-7.

A.D.55 Paul appeals to the Corinthians desire to excel in every sign of spirituality to add to their zeal generosity 2 Corinthians 8:7.

A.D.55 New birth confirms one is in Christ, not revelatory gifts-2 Corinthians 5:17.

A.D.55 Paul exhorts unto righteousness and holiness, not revelatory gifts-2 Corinthians 7:1.

A.D.56, Only prophecy is mentioned in a way that implies it is rare and the other gifts surprisingly are not named at all-Romans 12:4-13.

A.D.60 The absence here of revelatory gifts in this context is very conspicuous; it should be here in a number of places. The text lists prophets with apostles, signifying they are few in number-Ephesians 4:2-5:21.

A.D.60 This context would have been perfect to mention the revelatory gifts, he doesn't. Colossians 2:9-18.

A.D.60 Paul neither hears about revelatory gifts nor does he pray for Philemon to receive them-Philemon 1:4-7.

A.D.62 Renewing of the Holy Ghost connected to holy lifestyle and God’s grace, not gifts-Titus 3:1-8.

A.D.62 Revelatory gifts not part of the requirements for the office of overseer or deacon-1 Timothy 3:2-13.

A.D.62 Paul had to exhort Timothy to use his gift (ministry? cp. 2 Tim. 1:6f) and the example he is to set is for holy living, not gift seeking-1 Timothy 4:12-16.

A.D. 62 Neither Paul or others can heal Timothy: Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities. (1Ti 5:23 KJV)

A.D.67 The special gifts are referred to in the past tense-Hebrews 2:3-4. [That is consistent with tongues being a sign to the Jews 1 Cor. 14:20-22 that would organically end with the 70 A.D. destruction of all alternatives to Jesus’ sacrifice with the destruction of the Temple with all its genealogical records necessary for Mosaic sacrifice and identification of the Messiah].

A.D.67 Spur one another unto love and good deeds, not tongues-Hebrews 10:24-25.

A.D.67 Peter does not mention these gifts amongst those who share the divine nature and this is in contrast to the false prophets in next chapter-2 Peter 1:4-9.

A.D.90 God’s love shown not by gifts but by Christ ransom sacrifice-1 John 4:9-10.

A.D.90 Evidence of having the Spirit is love and true doctrine-1 John 4:12-17.

For more:

Last edited:
The NT is a “non-charismanic book”, the universal born-again experience was manifested by the 3000 saved on the Day of Pentecost, and it is precisely what believers manifest today. No mention of tongues or prophecy, rather the “outward physical evidence” is a changed heart, sincere devotion to God’s Word and love for their fellow believers:
Oh , you would like to talk about tongues . And yes I do speak in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance .

How did I happen to get the gift of tongues ? I will tell you .

I went to the altar at church to pray for my salvation and that is ALL I was seeking , my salvation . This was about @1984 .

I prayed for my salvation and I did feel my burdens lifted off of me at the church altar and as I stood up after taking Jesus for my savior I felt words trying to come out of my mouth but they were not English words so I did not allow the Holy Spirit to have the utterance . I had no idea what was going on with me ! I then understood I had been given the gift of tongues at my salvation . Not long afterward I did let the Holy Spirit have the utterance and I began speaking in tongues .

So Alfred Persson what would you have me do , tell the Holy Spirit I don't want the gift of tongues ?

Oh , you would like to talk about tongues . And yes I do speak in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance .

How did I happen to get the gift of tongues ? I will tell you .

I went to the altar at church to pray for my salvation and that is ALL I was seeking , my salvation . This was about @1984 .

I prayed for my salvation and I did feel my burdens lifted off of me at the church altar and as I stood up after taking Jesus for my savior I felt words trying to come out of my mouth but they were not English words so I did not allow the Holy Spirit to have the utterance . I had no idea what was going on with me ! I then understood I had been given the gift of tongues at my salvation . Not long afterward I did let the Holy Spirit have the utterance and I began speaking in tongues .

So Alfred Persson what would you have me do , tell the Holy Spirit I don't want the gift of tongues ?
Your personal experience can only convince you, not me.

Although I don't know any true believers who speak in tongues, I am confident they exist.

It does not mean they are speaking the Tongues revealed in the NT.

Your testimony confirms my belief Modern Tongues are self taught, not a gift of the Holy Spirit.

NT tongues, which died out in the 1st century were a gift of the Holy Spirit, NOT self taught.

AND it was equal to prophecy when interpreted.

Charismaniac churches today are known for their false prophecy and false doctrine. That corroborates the NT data that shows they ceased during the first century:

3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,
4 God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will? (Heb. 2:3-4 NKJ)

What part of my testimony shows you that I was self taught ?
"I felt words trying to come out of my mouth but they were not English words so I did not allow the Holy Spirit to have the utterance . I had no idea what was going on with me !"

You attended a tongues speaking church, on some level you wanted the gift. Your subconscious did what subconscious mind does, fill the gap the conscious mind cannot, fabricating the gift. Then with a little effort, you got better at it.

Self-taught.

The process your mind went through, is not evident here at all:

And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. (Acts 19:6 NKJ)

Or here:

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered, (Acts 10:44-46 NKJ)

"I felt words trying to come out of my mouth but they were not English words so I did not allow the Holy Spirit to have the utterance . I had no idea what was going on with me !"

You attended a tongues speaking church, on some level you wanted the gift. Your subconscious did what subconscious mind does, fill the gap the conscious mind cannot, fabricating the gift. Then with a little effort, you got better at it.

Self-taught.

The process your mind went through, is not evident here at all:

And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. (Acts 19:6 NKJ)

Or here:

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered, (Acts 10:44-46 NKJ)

Here is my testimony of tongues. I wanted tongues.I heard people talkabout it. I prayed for it. Nothing happened. So I prayed more and talked more. It still didn't happen. Sveral people told me that they could teach me how. I deconed all of them because, my understanding is that it was the Holy Spirit speaking. I felt it wrong to put words in His mouth, so I wouldn't even try to speak tongues out of respect for the Holy Spirit. And it still didn't happen. Then it got old. Just one of those things.

Then one day I was praying and as I was praying (out loud), my speech suddenly changed and I was speaking in tongues. I knew immediately what it was and that, it wasn't me. So I stood down and stopped praying and held my peace. And just listened. After Holy Spirit finished, I finished my prayer too. I never got an interpretation for it and it's never happened again.

You attended a tongues speaking church, on some level you wanted the gift.
The only gift I was seeking that day at the church altar was the gift of salvation ! Why you might ask and I will tell you why .

I was under conviction for my sins , that were many . I was living a rock&roll lifestyle and immoral life doing as I pleased , desires of the flesh , I was lost !

Do you remember what it was like to be under conviction ?

Your subconscious did what subconscious mind does, fill the gap the conscious mind cannot, fabricating the gift. Then with a little effort, you got better at it.
So I am newly born again at the church altar and and my subconscious is fabricating a gift ! ? !
My mind was renewed too ! Not just my soul and spirit .
Ephesians 4:
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Why do you have such doubts of the Holy Spirits power ?
As I later found out it is rare for someone to receive two gifts at their salvation , but it happen just as I said to me . God blessed me this way , am I to question God on how he blesses me ?

My wife received the gift of tongues just as as described in Acts 19:6 , and yes by hands laid on is the way a lot of people receive the gift of tongues .
Self-taught.
There is still time for you to understand .

Here is my testimony of tongues. I wanted tongues.I heard people talkabout it. I prayed for it. Nothing happened. So I prayed more and talked more. It still didn't happen. Sveral people told me that they could teach me how. I deconed all of them because, my understanding is that it was the Holy Spirit speaking. I felt it wrong to put words in His mouth, so I wouldn't even try to speak tongues out of respect for the Holy Spirit. And it still didn't happen. Then it got old. Just one of those things.

Then one day I was praying and as I was praying (out loud), my speech suddenly changed and I was speaking in tongues. I knew immediately what it was and that, it wasn't me. So I stood down and stopped praying and held my peace. And just listened. After Holy Spirit finished, I finished my prayer too. I never got an interpretation for it and it's never happened again.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (1 Cor. 14:14 NKJ)

Evidently you experienced the same thing Paul did, prayer “in a tongue.”

That clearly was a genuine manifestation of the Holy Spirit in your life.

Praise God. You were truly blessed!

I should clarify my “cessationist” position on “tongues,” the “prayer in a tongue” you experienced is genuine, still happens today.

It’s the “revelatory tongues” that were “prophecy when interpreted”

I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification. (1 Cor. 14:5 NKJ)

The Church today is edified by the Prophetic Word of God, the "revelatory gifts" of prophecy, tongues and supernatural knowledge are no longer needed. The Bible is a completed work.

The “revelatory tongues” ceased in the 1st century, and in Corinth the cessation was causing schisms in the church.

The majority in Corinth who did not speak in tongues wanted to forbid them entirely:

39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.
40 Let all things be done decently and in order. (1 Cor. 14:39-40 NKJ)

To address this problem Paul discusses the cessation of the revelatory gifts.

The Corinthians shouldn’t be in sorrow over their cessation, they were destined to cease anyway when Christ comes:

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. (1 Cor. 13:8-10 NKJ)

The revelatory gifts did cease, they are spoke of in the PAST TENSE ("was confirmed") in the book of Hebrews:

3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,
4 God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will? (Heb. 2:3-4 NKJ)

The revelatory signs that authenticated Christianity existed only during the founding of the Church. Then they ceased to be needed. We now have the Bible to completely equip us for every good work:

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16-17 NKJ)

Last edited:
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (1 Cor. 14:14 NKJ)

Evidently you experienced the same thing Paul did, prayer “in a tongue.”

That clearly was a genuine manifestation of the Holy Spirit in your life.

Praise God. You were truly blessed!

I should clarify my “cessationist” position on “tongues,” the “prayer in a tongue” you experienced is genuine, still happens today.
There is two gifts involving tongues and this verse explains what they are .
1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
They are "divers kinds of tongues " and " interpretation of tongues " . That is all .

Do you see prayer tongues mentioned ? Why is prayer tongues not mentioned ?

Because it is the same . A gift of tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance .

The only difference is prayer tongues is for private use . But it is the same gift !

There is two gifts involving tongues and this verse explains what they are .
1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
They are "divers kinds of tongues " and " interpretation of tongues " . That is all .

Do you see prayer tongues mentioned ? Why is prayer tongues not mentioned ?

Because it is the same . A gift of tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance .

The only difference is prayer tongues is for private use . But it is the same gift !
I don't agree. Paul is clearly referring to different kinds of tongues, one is a prayer language that edifies the spirit of the person praying, but the fleshly brain doesn't know what is being said. The other edifies the church if it is interpreted, and then it is equal to prophecy.

4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification. (1 Cor. 14:4-5 NKJ)

Paul groups the two, but it is clear from their different effects these are essentially different. One is a prayer language that edifies only the prayer warrior, the other is equal to prophecy and edifies the church:

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (1 Cor. 14:13-14 NKJ)

If they were precisely the same thing there would be no need to "pray that he may interpret."

It is the "revelatory gifts" the Holy Scripture replaced, not fruits of the Spirit or any edification a believer receives from the Holy Spirit.

God wrote scripture "in order that" the man of God be complete, not needing prophecy tongues or supernatural knowledge because now God Himself speaks though His Holy Word the Bible:

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that (2443 ἵνα) the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16-17 NKJ)

2443 ἵνα
Meaning: 1) that, in order that, so that

Holy Scripture is far superior to any prophetic word, supernatural knowledge or tongue.

With tongues etc. everyone hearing must judge the correctness of what is said, whether it is false prophecy, babblings of a fool or "of the flesh" (pride etc.)

With Scripture, everyone knows it is the Word of God. There is no doubt about the wording, we can hear God for ourselves and not wonder if the "prophet" got it wrong, or added his own words to the message.

"You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. (Deut. 4:2 NKJ)

16 Bind up the testimony, Seal the law among my disciples.
17 And I will wait on the LORD, Who hides His face from the house of Jacob; And I will hope in Him.
18 Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and wonders in Israel From the LORD of hosts, Who dwells in Mount Zion.
19 And when they say to you, "Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter," should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living?
20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

21 They will pass through it hard pressed and hungry; and it shall happen, when they are hungry, that they will be enraged and curse their king and their God, and look upward.
22 Then they will look to the earth, and see trouble and darkness, gloom of anguish; and they will be driven into darkness. (Isa. 8:16-22 NKJ)

Last edited:
I forget exactly who it was but I remember watching a couple video seroms from somewhere and at some point the congregation was asked if anyone had a testimony or word from the Lord.

Somebody said yes and stood up and began speaking in tongues. When they were finished soneone yelled I know what they said! And then interpreted it for the congregation. The same thing happened two or three times and always with different people and always with an interpretation.

?? Just a video I seen. I can't say it wasn't real.

I don't agree. Paul is clearly referring to different kinds of tongues, one is a prayer language that edifies the spirit of the person praying, but the fleshly brain doesn't know what is being said. The other edifies the church if it is interpreted, and then it is equal to prophecy.
Praying in tongues is a supernatural manifestation of the Gift of Tongues .
Speaking in tongues in a church setting is a supernatural manifestation of the Gift of Tongues .
The interpretation of tongues is a supernatural manifestation of the Gift of Tongues .
The only difference between praying and speaking in tongues is the intended audience so the Holy Spirit tailors the message for it's intended purpose .
All of these are a supernatural manifestation of the Gift of Tongues .

Alfred Persson
if you have any questions about what is like to speak or pray in tongues , just ask .
I will do my best to answer you . I would like you to understand more about this gift .

4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification. (1 Cor. 14:4-5 NKJ)

Paul groups the two, but it is clear from their different effects these are essentially different. One is a prayer language that edifies only the prayer warrior, the other is equal to prophecy and edifies the church:

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (1 Cor. 14:13-14 NKJ)

If they were precisely the same thing there would be no need to "pray that he may interpret."
Not precisely the same . They are different manifestations of the same gift .

I forget exactly who it was but I remember watching a couple video seroms from somewhere and at some point the congregation was asked if anyone had a testimony or word from the Lord.

Somebody said yes and stood up and began speaking in tongues. When they were finished soneone yelled I know what they said! And then interpreted it for the congregation. The same thing happened two or three times and always with different people and always with an interpretation.

?? Just a video I seen. I can't say it wasn't real.
I thank you for your testimony, it made me rethink my blanket rejection. Your experience is consistent with Scripture, genuinely "of God".

I agree, we can't know if the videos are real, but in the light of all the false prophecy and occult phenomena associated with "charismainia", Christ's warning about Tares is prophetic:

24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field;
25 "but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.
26 "But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared.
27 "So the servants of the owner came and said to him,`Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?'
28 "He said to them,`An enemy has done this.' The servants said to him,`Do you want us then to go and gather them up?'
29 "But he said,`No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them.
30 `Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn."'"
34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them,
35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: "I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world."
36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him, saying, "Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field."
37 He answered and said to them: "He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man.
38 "The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one.
39 "The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.
40 "Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age.
41 "The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness,
42 "and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 "Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear! (Matt. 13:24-43 NKJ)

22 "Many will say to Me in that day,`Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
23 "And then I will declare to them,`I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' (Matt. 7:22-24 NKJ)

Back