Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Spiritual truth

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

jaybo

2024 Supporter
I recently wrote this on another forum but thought it was worth posting here...

God is perfect, as is His Son and the Holy Spirit. They have no flaws. None.

God inspired those who wrote the "books" of the Bible to write the spiritual truths so that His wisdom, knowledge, and doctrine could be known. (This has a different meaning than modern "legal" truths.)

As an example, take the story of the wedding in Cana. Jesus turned water into wine. So... But if one considers that the jars were used by the Jews ceremonially, then turning the "Jewish water" into something entirely new -- excellent wine -- is symbolic of replacing the old religion with something new and far better.

That is a perfect example of the Bible's truth and perfection. If taken to mean only that the content of the jars was changed, it doesn't mean much. But taken figuratively, it is a foreshadowing of the richness of the New Covenant when compared to the Old. And it was delivered by the servants, foreshadowing the apostles.

The best translation IMHO is that which communicates God's truths and doctrine to us as clearly as possible. My main objection to the KJV is that its meaning is not clear to those of us living in the 21st century; we speak, write, and think in a very different language and live in a vastly different culture.

The purpose of any translation is to communicate God's truths to us, but they must make sense to our way of thinking. The KJV, written over 400 years ago, cannot clearly communicate the spiritual truths to those of us living centuries later in an entirely different world. As a result, people can interpret the Englyshe (unicorns and all) in any way that they see fit. Therein lies the error.

There's a lot of misinterpretation going on and it isn't just the KJV. The (Englyshe?) terminology is probably less of the problem than us not knowing old Hebrew culture very much. Many words are tossed around and considered as synonyms for other words and ideas and that is what strays from the meaning.

That's why everyone should use BlueletterBible.com which is a Strong's concordance and it's just click click click easy to use and always gives up original language tidbits needed for better study. And A hardcover concordance, for when the grid goes down.

I can't help but to think, how dumb those Romans were. They had a man that knew how turn water into wine...and they killed Him. Talk about a bunch of Dummies!

My main objection to the KJV is that its meaning is not clear to those of us living in the 21st century; we speak, write, and think in a very different language and live in a vastly different culture.
It's very clear in the KJV as even though we are living in the 21st Century God's word remains the same in any language. Our problem is how we think with a carnal logical understanding.

God’s word can be literal and Spiritual as in the case of the wedding in Cana. The wedding represents the Spiritual being the union between Jesus and his bride whom are the children of God through repentance. Jesus brings his disciples to the wedding to show them the wonders of God through the renewal of his Spirit. I want you to see the relationship we have between the old self in the flesh and the new Spiritual rebirth in Christ. We are called the bride of Christ and I could not find any better example of this as in the story of the first wedding Jesus attended with his disciples, (Ref: John 2:1-11).

The word marriage represents our relationship with Jesus. We are called the bride of Christ which means when we become Spiritually born again or renewed in our spirit we become one in the Spirit that is in Christ and have communion with his life, death and resurrection. We are united with Jesus as one body that has been renewed through the Spirit that is God. We become as a bride to the bridegroom as we are joined together as one.
(Matthew 9:15; Revelation 21:9)

The word call means that we do not just happen to fall into a relationship with Jesus as we are called of God or predestined before the world began for Gods purpose and grace. Jesus brought his disciples to the wedding to witness God’s power and authority through the miracle of changing water into wine, which was Jesus first miracle. The water and the wine represent the word of God and his Spirit as a renewal of our body and soul through the salvation of Jesus.
(Jeremiah 1:5; 2 Timothy 1:9; John 3:5)​

It's very clear in the KJV as even though we are living in the 21st Century God's word remains the same in any language. Our problem is how we think with a carnal logical understanding.

God’s word can be literal and Spiritual as in the case of the wedding in Cana. The wedding represents the Spiritual being the union between Jesus and his bride whom are the children of God through repentance. Jesus brings his disciples to the wedding to show them the wonders of God through the renewal of his Spirit. I want you to see the relationship we have between the old self in the flesh and the new Spiritual rebirth in Christ. We are called the bride of Christ and I could not find any better example of this as in the story of the first wedding Jesus attended with his disciples, (Ref: John 2:1-11).

The word marriage represents our relationship with Jesus. We are called the bride of Christ which means when we become Spiritually born again or renewed in our spirit we become one in the Spirit that is in Christ and have communion with his life, death and resurrection. We are united with Jesus as one body that has been renewed through the Spirit that is God. We become as a bride to the bridegroom as we are joined together as one.
(Matthew 9:15; Revelation 21:9)

The word call means that we do not just happen to fall into a relationship with Jesus as we are called of God or predestined before the world began for Gods purpose and grace. Jesus brought his disciples to the wedding to witness God’s power and authority through the miracle of changing water into wine, which was Jesus first miracle. The water and the wine represent the word of God and his Spirit as a renewal of our body and soul through the salvation of Jesus.
(Jeremiah 1:5; 2 Timothy 1:9; John 3:5)​
Two things...

The KJV is written in a dead language. As a result, it is very easily misinterpreted. Modern translations are written in our language, so it is much more clearly understood by those of us living today. I have heard this time after time after time from KJV people: "so what this passage means is..." Retranslating on the fly! Why is that necessary?

BTW, my interpretation of the wedding at Cana is very different. Jesus used the Jews' ceremonial water jars to contain the new wine, symbolizing that the Old Covenant gave way to the much more rewarding New Covenant. I particularly like John 2:9-10,"When the head steward tasted the water that had been turned to wine, not knowing where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), he called the bridegroom and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the cheaper wine when the guests are drunk. You have kept the good wine until now!” I love the implied meaning of those verses.

Two things...

The KJV is written in a dead language. As a result, it is very easily misinterpreted. Modern translations are written in our language, so it is much more clearly understood by those of us living today. I have heard this time after time after time from KJV people: "so what this passage means is..." Retranslating on the fly! Why is that necessary?

BTW, my interpretation of the wedding at Cana is very different. Jesus used the Jews' ceremonial water jars to contain the new wine, symbolizing that the Old Covenant gave way to the much more rewarding New Covenant. I particularly like John 2:9-10,"When the head steward tasted the water that had been turned to wine, not knowing where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), he called the bridegroom and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the cheaper wine when the guests are drunk. You have kept the good wine until now!” I love the implied meaning of those verses.
It all depends in how we study. Sometimes I feel the newer translations, especially with a modern English language takes away from the true meaning of certain words. That's why I prefer the KJV.

It all depends in how we study. Sometimes I feel the newer translations, especially with a modern English language takes away from the true meaning of certain words. That's why I prefer the KJV.
To each his or her own. I disagree that a modern English version language takes away from the true meaning of certain words. That's why I prefer a modern translation, especially one with copious notes. My favorite is the NET v 2.1, with over 60,000 translator's notes.

I don't want to bog down the thread but I'm interested to know why you think that a modern English language [translation] takes away from the true meaning of certain words (or did you mean modern English takes away from the true meaning of certain words?)

To each his or her own. I disagree that a modern English version language takes away from the true meaning of certain words. That's why I prefer a modern translation, especially one with copious notes. My favorite is the NET v 2.1, with over 60,000 translator's notes.

I don't want to bog down the thread but I'm interested to know why you think that a modern English language [translation] takes away from the true meaning of certain words (or did you mean modern English takes away from the true meaning of certain words?)
Modern English by all the different definitions for just one single word, but to each their own choice as we are to learn all truth through the Holy Spirit, not man, that teaches us all truths. Traditional teachings are more popular than that of what God has already had the Prophets and Apostles to write.

Modern English by all the different definitions for just one single word, but to each their own choice as we are to learn all truth through the Holy Spirit, not man, that teaches us all truths. Traditional teachings are more popular than that of what God has already had the Prophets and Apostles to write.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

What does "Modern English by all the different definitions for just one single word..." mean?

What does "Traditional teachings are more popular than that of what God has already had the Prophets and Apostles to write..." mean?

The more modern the English language gets the more slang to definitions (meanings) of words that take away from the original Hebrew and Greek.

Traditional teachings can be those of a carnal understanding that have been passed down from generation to generation that makes sense to the logical mind and has nothing to do with Spiritual knowledge. This is why we need to Spiritually discern that of what we hear.

Back